[SOLVED] Serious lag on Linux

I know this game is not supposed to be played on Linux, but it seemed to work quite well on it (using Wine Windows Program Loader) until I found this problem. It did not seem to be purely related to using an unsupported OS, these errors are usually different (usually crashes on startup, totally weird graphics; all online stuff worked correctly for Diablo II and Neverwinter Nights 2).

The problem is:
When I walk/run somewhere, discovering new parts of the map, the game freezes like for 1-2 seconds, too frequently to be able to enjoy the gameplay (that seems to be super-awesome). Everything is fine if I move on areas that I have already visited, even if I fight some monsters there. When I approached some kind of fortification in Twilight Strand, I lagged for like 3 seconds and I was disconnected (unexpected disconnection). Repeatedly. After reconnecting, I have the parts of the map disovered, but I am still experiencing these lags when I move there for the first time after connecting.

I saw nothing relevant in the log file.

I don't use Windows because it freezes for like 3 seconds every 2 minutes or so, no matter what I am doing (it was like that from the time when I installed it, it's Windows 7, almost 3 years old), and this is can be very unpleasant in gaming, because all processes seem to work, just the screen remains the same, that can result in a killing lag even in singleplayer. This does not happen on Linux, but it might be related to the problem mentioned above.
I would not mind testing it on Windows as well, but it has also some issues with connecting to Internet and I can't figure them out.

My machine is an Acer laptop with 4GiB RAM, Intel i5 2,27GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 graphics card.

Is this related to a known issue or something totally strange?
Last edited by Dugi on Feb 25, 2013, 5:26:48 AM
That's a common problem. Which version of wine and catalyst driver do you have, what kind of device is the game contained on, and which filesystem is its partition?

You'll find many more players with that exact issue in the wine sticky

Wine version 1.5.24
Graphics driver is described as VISA: PARK, no idea what it means, my system is kinda screwed up and I cannot configure graphical drivers or see more for now
I am running it on Ubuntu 12.10
I don't think it is contained on some unusual device, I have simply installed it through wine and run.
It is on the main filesystem, in home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files...

Note that I was able to run Skyrim without more serious issues on it, so my DirectX and graphics should be okay.

I was not able to find anybody with the same problem on the forum in that link, but I have read through like 6 first and 3 last pages (and I was expecting to find something if it is a common problem).

Sorry if I provided the information badly.
Last edited by Dugi on Feb 25, 2013, 1:38:36 AM
I was asking what hard drive you have, and what the filesystem was. There's not much you can do about it though, so just ignore the question for now.

VESA: PARK sounds like some weird hardware. Can you find which video card you have by looking at the box the computer came in?

I don't know what driver you have, and it might not be the right one. Make sure you have the binary amd/ati catalyst driver. 13.1 is the latest stable version. You can usually install this easily in Ubuntu with the Hardware Driver menu.
I wrote that the video card I have is ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470. I have installed a driver to it through Hardware Drivers menu, it was a proprietary driver from ATI, but I cannot access that menu now (I should really reinstall my system, I am using various config files from Ubuntu 10.4 and all versions above). It seems that the problem is there and that it appeared really recently, because when I tried to run Skyrim now, I had fps drops to like 1 frame per second. When I tried to run Amnesia, that has been ported for Linux and runs natively, it did not even launch. Openmorrowind ran with no world graphics, showing only menu and minimap.

So it seems it is my system that is messed up. Sorry for annoying, I will reinstall it and purge old configs. And try some different environments.

EDIT: It started working correctly when I switched to Gnome 3. It was in my system, obviously.
Last edited by Dugi on Feb 25, 2013, 5:26:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info