Is GGG secretly mixing predictive into our pure lockstep?

In the past month, I've observed several instances of what looked like classic symptoms of desync. It mostly occurs in the classic desync spots of old, too, e.g. doorways and narrow passages to rooms full of monsters. I see monsters standing around and then warping behind walls, and I also have occasional warping of my own character from time to time. All this with a good ping of around 30-40 ms.

I even had a death that felt very much like desync. I was whirling through a lot of monsters with WB, because I was looking for Vaal side areas, and suddenly I was dead and warped into a pack of monsters about three screens away.

I've played on pure lockstep since they introduced it, and have never noticed such problems until recently. Is it just in my head or is anyone experiencing similar issues when playing on pure lockstep (not mixed mode).
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
Last bumped on Jun 28, 2017, 2:40:55 AM
"
zagibu wrote:
occasional warping of my own character from time to time

Warping is what happens when the game re-synchronizes, so if you get short intervals where lots of warping happens all at once, that's lockstep forcing your game to stay in sync. It'll happen when you get a short burst of bad latency.

In predictive mode the first symptoms you'll see of desync include: taking damage when nothing is attacking you. Attacking things but being unable to hit them. And things do NOT "snap" back into reality (or warp) until they've gone out of sync for 5-10 seconds.

I'm not quite sure exactly what you're seeing but basically it depends on the details. Warping can be because of lockstep.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Jun 27, 2017, 4:12:18 PM
For me lockstep has "always" had issues with desync - especially with WB in tight quarters with mobs around. And I have not noticed it getting worse recently. Although not using WB now.
Its possible that your connection got worse and you get more symptoms because of it. Or you could be using WB more aggressively or sth.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I'm not sure it's all that 'secret'. Did they ever say that lockstep mode completely disables the predictive fallback? I just figured whenever I saw 'classic desync' symptoms while playing lockstep it was the game trying to compensate for latency hiccups and burps...or the game failing to compensate latency hiccups and burps with predictive behaviour, which is from my point of view pretty much the same thing.

The thing is, I never noticed such issues between the day they introduced lockstep and about a month ago give or take.
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info