Boss running profitability discussion - what's your experience?

This morning, I started with 10 exalted and 600+ chaos in my stash tab, and decided to farm Chayula, for profit and science.
After 15 or so runs, I had:
- 6 Blessings, around 1400 chaos, 235/240c per one
- 5 Skins of the Loyal, around 200c if you take 40c/per Skin
- 2 Severed in Sleep, around 70c, 35c per one
- roughly 60 red maps, around 150c, 2.5c per map
- 200c curency drops (1 lucky exalted drop)
- 0 noteworthy rares
Gain: Around 1950c if everything was sold
Expense: 2250c, 150c per Breachstone
Profit: -300c

Also, ripped one run due to death on a reflected rare.

Currently I'm sitting on 4 unsold Skins, 2 unsold Blessings, 2 unsold weapons and maps like Vaults/Strands/Shores/Beacons/High Gardens/Scriptoriums/Shrines/Gorges etc.
My currency tab looks empty and it will take me days to sell all the items, which won't cover the loss of 300c either way. I might even need to undercut the price here and there to get a bit fuller looking currency tab, which could mean a loss of anywhere between 500 to 400c in total.

You could say I had a terrible RNG run, or that it is too late in the league to make profit off Chayula.
But when I farmed Shaper earlier this league, one day I run 12 Shaper sets to get 1 flask and a whole bunch of gloves/boots, still resulting in a hefty loss.

Anyway, I would like to talk about profability of running bosses: Chayula, Shaper, Uber Atziri, Guardians.

What is your experience? Which bosses do you run, and do you lose on average, make profit, or just about break even? Is boss running worth it on its own, or only if you sell portals?
My build guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2180198

Taking a break from PoE, catch me up in Warframe: https://www.warframe.com/signup?referrerId=5b625847f2f2eb0ea0750322
Use above link for free booster when you sign up! :)
Last edited by Bristoling on Jun 24, 2017, 6:02:12 PM
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2017, 2:34:15 PM
Obviously, you've overvalued the league stones.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Obviously, you've overvalued the league stones.
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean Breachstones? They are 150c a piece at the moment, Blessings are around 230-240 on poe.trade.
Either way my currency tab is dry with only 2ex and 200c left lol.
My build guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2180198

Taking a break from PoE, catch me up in Warframe: https://www.warframe.com/signup?referrerId=5b625847f2f2eb0ea0750322
Use above link for free booster when you sign up! :)
Then the real money is in selling fools the stones.
It's all luck really. Almost everything in this game is a gamble. He only boss that really can payout a huge amount is uber atz with axes selling for 500+c on a crap roll and way higher on a good. Her gloves are currently 30ex almost as much as a stupid skyforth set lol. The only consolation on the skins is to make sure to carefully check the color combos on poe trade. Most combos aren't worth crap but a good color combo will bet you 200+.

Outside of the first 2 weeks it's almost always better just to sell all stones/keys instead which is really sad. The only exception being uber.
I've only done Uber Atziri and Shaper a small handful of times, and each time was the most common/worthless drop.
Almost all bosses are unprofitable to run in softcore, and mapping is way less profitable than in hardcore. Trading and flipping stuff is the only way to make currency (and profit) in softcore.

Unfortunately hardcore is the only option if you enjoy earning currency by playing the game until GGG fixes the economy.
it's not worth doing any bosses, you'll only lose money
Last edited by Adambjjoz on Nov 24, 2017, 1:26:25 AM
I don't trust my RNG, so I always prefer to trade shaper/atizri sets or breachstones, unless I want to run the boss for fun or to test my build.

Shaper in particular, will not touch after instance crashing him 4 times in a row on phase 3, and then 5th time right after the kill (so no loot).
Last edited by MECHanokl on Jun 25, 2017, 7:13:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info