Giving Hardcore Players a Soft-core Experience

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Just when you thought suggestions couldn't get any weirder than having no xp penalty in sc, someone comes along and makes a thread suggesting people should be able to die and stay in HC. Wtf is this planet.

I think what he's trying to say is; if someone came and forced soft core elements to hard core players, they would hate it, the same way a lot of soft core players hated it when GGG forced lab upon them, to "give soft core players a taste of hard core".

Well, to be fair, a lot of soft core players are playing soft core for a reason. They like their progression to be permanent, and the ability to continue their progression even after death.

I may be wrong, tho.

Glad someone got what I was referring to :-)
there is a reason why i play SC/HC and perm/temp :D

i also think that from now on i will start the new leagues as SSF and then migrate if i feel the need to do that.
d:-D*
Last edited by PyleWarlord on Jun 23, 2017, 6:10:58 AM
There is nothing inherently "HC" about loosing the run if you die in the Lab. A similar feature was present in the game already - limited map portals, eg. in a party of 6 you loose the map if you die just once.

The whole game was marketed as "hardcore" (as in "tough" or "old school") right from the start. The Lab fits into SC leagues just as well as it fits into HC leagues. The only difference between these two types of leagues, is that one kicks you out on your first death, the other doesnt. All the other "metaphysical" differences between SC-HC leagues are just people's immagination.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jun 23, 2017, 6:20:47 AM
"
morbo wrote:
There is nothing inherently "HC" about loosing the run if you die in the Lab. A similar feature was present in the game already - limited map portals, eg. in a party of 6 you loose the map if you die just once.

The whole game was marketed as "hardcore" (as in "tough" or "old school") right from the start. The Lab fits into SC leagues just as well as it fits into HC leagues. The only difference between these two types of leagues, is that one kicks you out on your first death, the other doesnt. All the other "metaphysical" differences between SC-HC leagues are just people's immagination.

What you say might be true if not for mr Wilson himself saying the intention was to give SC players a taste of HC.

And no it is not really the same as map portals.
If I disconnect and lost a map portal = Laugh it off
Disconnect and lost lab progress = Quite sad

I would like to know if everyone else also feels like you do that lab is just like a map or if they feel like I do that it is a very different experience to a map?

If lab was optional and lab enchant and ascendancy points were not acquired through lab then it will be easy to laugh it off, but since it is part of the normal play-through it is quite sad.

What gripes me most I think is the traps,.. I love the Izaro fights, but to be on a high ping trying to guess if traps that does % damage is in or out of sync.

Guess you can argue that people staying far away from a server should not be playing lab - and I would like to agree, but then the lab should not be the way to get enchants/ascendancy, or the lab should be in a way on SC that is consistent with SC. I think that is the point I wanted to make. SC lab should be consistent with SC design.
"
WhiteMagick wrote:
What you say might be true if not for mr Wilson himself saying the intention was to give SC players a taste of HC.

Yeah, well, Mr. Wilson said many peculiar things in the past :)

"
WhiteMagick wrote:

And no it is not really the same as map portals.
If I disconnect and lost a map portal = Laugh it off
Disconnect and lost lab progress = Quite sad

Both cases are really annoying, espec. if you DC in T15+ and in my experience, the few times I DCed from maps I've usually lost all portals (full reset of the HO). But disconnects are not a game feature, they are an exception, not something the gameplay shuld be balanced or designed around. And sadly in an online game this issues cannot be 100% solved.

But I do agree that DC-ing in (Uber) Lab is more frustrating than DC-ing in some mid or low maps.

"
WhiteMagick wrote:
I would like to know if everyone else also feels like you do that lab is just like a map or if they feel like I do that it is a very different experience to a map?

If you play in a full party, you don't want to die in a map, the same way you don't want to die in the Lab. Tho playing a map in full party is (much) easier than doing the Lab solo.

"
WhiteMagick wrote:
Guess you can argue that people staying far away from a server should not be playing lab

Well, its a tradeoff. Most players are in US/EU close to servers and people having technical issues are in a minority. GGG is required to provide a stable expereince on their part, but they can't fix people's internet. At the same time I can't blame people for living where they live or having the internet they have. Not everyone can enjoy top notch connections.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jun 23, 2017, 7:27:34 AM
all I can say is this thread is silly

And thats coming from an overfed long haired leaping Gnome...

I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info