Giving Hardcore Players a Soft-core Experience

When the lab came out, one of the reasoning behind the design of the lab was that GGG wanted to give soft-core players a taste of the hardcore game.

The idea comes from a good place, but my concerns are

1. Some players like myself play soft-core because we tried hardcore and prefer soft-core
2. Some players like myself get disconnected and loose our progress through the lab
3. Some players like myself is stuck on predictive mode since there are no servers close, and hence we are never sure if the traps our out of sync, hence dying to an out of sync trap (closest server to where I stay is literary halfway across the world)

I think if the lab is intended to give soft-core players a taste of hardcore, then surely we can give hardcore players a taste of soft-core by letting them respawn in the same area after death with an xp-penalty when dying in a lab.
Spoiler
This one change will see me switch to hardcore :-P

I know that this change will never be implemented though, since I would be asked how dare I want to force down a soft-core mode unto hardcore players,... and I wholeheartedly agree!
Spoiler
Has there been any positive feedback on soft-core players being really exited about the way the lab forces a hardcore experience down unto the player-base?
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2017, 7:50:39 AM
How is respawning with xp-penalty worse than dying and rerolling your character?...
Last edited by Siegelayer on Jun 23, 2017, 12:19:30 AM
"
Siegelayer wrote:
How is respawning with xp-penalty worse than dying and rerolling your character?...

It seems you think that the hardcore community would welcome such a change? That would be hilarious.

Would you prefer I spell out what I am trying to say, or give you the opportunity to draw the conclusion yourself?
"
WhiteMagick wrote:
"
Siegelayer wrote:

It seems you think that the hardcore community would welcome such a change? That would be hilarious.

Would you prefer I spell out what I am trying to say, or give you the opportunity to draw the conclusion yourself?
Oh, they'd hate such a change, but not for the reasons you'd think.
"
VolcanoElixir wrote:
"
WhiteMagick wrote:
"
Siegelayer wrote:

Oh, they'd hate such a change, but not for the reasons you'd think.

So what do you think I think the reasons are they would hate it?

Spelling it out a little :-P

My assumption would be that they would hate it because they love hardcore and if they wanted to play soft-core mode, they would play soft-core and would be irritated that the soft-core experience is forced down unto the hardcore community, sine the reason they play hardcore is because they enjoy the death penalty an do not like the re-spawning in the same zone with xp penalty.

So in short my first conclusion which is an assumption would be that they would hate it because it is not the game mode they love.

I still leave space for you to draw the second part of the conclusion yourself :-P
"
WhiteMagick wrote:
do not like the re-spawning in the same zone with xp penalty.

Let's turn it up a few degrees.

Instead, let's make them respawn with an xp penalty, and remove from their league to a place where they can no longer party with friends or participate in guild activities.

Oh wait, that's exactly what happens.

I'm honestly curious whether you just don't know how the leagues work in PoE. Like, you don't understand how they work or you're trolling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

---

If you have a perception that there's some HC hate for Non-HC leagues, it's an illusion. Someone's trying to get a rise out of you. Most really serious HC players spend at least some time in non-HC leagues doing research. We understand the death penalty, and it feels pretty much like not a big deal at all.

Let's see.
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
If you can get to level 95 in HC, you're immune to the bad feels of losing 20% of your xp to level.
edit: oh, it's only 10%. That's how much I just don't notice.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Jun 23, 2017, 2:23:22 AM
"
So what do you think I think the reasons are they would hate it?
They'd hate the easy farms screwing up the economy. They wouldn't give a crap that there's a place in the game where you can lose EXP.
Just when you thought suggestions couldn't get any weirder than having no xp penalty in sc, someone comes along and makes a thread suggesting people should be able to die and stay in HC. Wtf is this planet.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Jun 23, 2017, 2:45:48 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Just when you thought suggestions couldn't get any weirder than having no xp penalty in sc, someone comes along and makes a thread suggesting people should be able to die and stay in HC. Wtf is this planet.

I think what he's trying to say is; if someone came and forced soft core elements to hard core players, they would hate it, the same way a lot of soft core players hated it when GGG forced lab upon them, to "give soft core players a taste of hard core".

Well, to be fair, a lot of soft core players are playing soft core for a reason. They like their progression to be permanent, and the ability to continue their progression even after death.

I may be wrong, tho.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Jun 23, 2017, 3:20:13 AM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
"
WhiteMagick wrote:
do not like the re-spawning in the same zone with xp penalty.

Let's turn it up a few degrees.

Instead, let's make them respawn with an xp penalty, and remove from their league to a place where they can no longer party with friends or participate in guild activities.

Oh wait, that's exactly what happens.

I'm honestly curious whether you just don't know how the leagues work in PoE. Like, you don't understand how they work or you're trolling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

---

If you have a perception that there's some HC hate for Non-HC leagues, it's an illusion. Someone's trying to get a rise out of you. Most really serious HC players spend at least some time in non-HC leagues doing research. We understand the death penalty, and it feels pretty much like not a big deal at all.

Let's see.
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
If you can get to level 95 in HC, you're immune to the bad feels of losing 20% of your xp to level.
edit: oh, it's only 10%. That's how much I just don't notice.

I do not think you understand what I am trying to say, so I will maybe spell out the conclusion a little more,..

I do not think the way lab is implemented for soft-core is correct. Part of the reason it was done in this way was to give players a taste of what hardcore feels like,.. but I do not think that it is a good reason.

The fact that you say they will not feel the penalty ---- That is my point! The problem with giving that to HC players is that it will be bad BECAUSE there will be no real penalty, and that is not what they are after when playing HC.

So my point is really this - If it is obvious when giving "SC type like lab" for HC players is BAD, then it stands to reason that giving a "HC type like lab" for SC players is BAD as well, yet because it is done to the SC community it is ok, but if we did something like that to the HC community it will not be ok.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info