Why do people feel entitled to ascension?

So I recently came back after fuck a year maybe 2 away. well before masters had been added think that was the first big update after my break began.

So upon returning I hear people in game looking for lab runners. took me a day or two to figure out it was short hand for this new ascension labyrinth thing. took me another week or two to stumble on the various trils, then had to finally break down and use wiki to find the first back in act 1 since I had left off in act 2 of merc last time I played.

So finally ready to run it I foolishly stepped in on merc dif and boy oh boy did I live up to that line about trying to ascend before being ready.

So I went to normal and ran it that way. now the traps where still pretty scary but I managed to on shitty wifi stumble and bumble my way through and get the first ascension points unlocked.

What i noticed almost instantly was how powerful they where. the day before I ascended I was struggling in tier 1 maps, to utterly decimating them.

A good example is the forest map. the day before ascending I was with effort able to clear the majority of the map but the cave with the big spider tore me apart so quickly I couldnt hope to stand against them and after a few deaths I yielded the battle to her.

Then I decided to test my newly gained super powers against her, and she simply didnt have a chance. she and her horde fell before my dual blades and the heavy dots wore her down so very fast and her minions exploded dealing even more damage helping to wipe them and her out in brutal terrible effect.

then as I browse the forums, read some of the fun popcorn worthy drama I see people use terms like mandatory in describing the powerful ascension points. Considering them just another part of any build.

This left me having to ponder this view and start this thread.

So I ask all those complaining about getting ascension unlocked, why do you feel this nearly game breaking power is something you are entitled to?

Why do you think every build should be capable of gaining them at or near level when this game offers so many build options that obviously some are late bloomers or simply passable at best?

It may be a while for me personally before I am ready for the upper dif labs. after all I am super casual and know my limits pretty well.

To me there is no shame nor sin knowing it may take some time to get the rest, and frankly am glad for some long term goals. Just as I seek to make a goddess unleashed one day for the sheer fun of it even though its a bloody fortune in gem cutters and the like to make one.

Well have fun and pour on some drama here telling us all why you think you just deserve the super powers without being worthy of them!
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2017, 1:28:30 AM
Ascendancy is only "game breakingly powerful", as you say, at early levels. All the newer content, specifically guardians/shaper (as well as most of the map bosses come 3.0 with ~80-100% increased life) are all balanced around being ascended. Since this content is balanced around ascendancy, you are disadvantaging yourself unnecessarily if you choose to not ascend or can't do it yourself. (If you can't do uber I doubt you could do endgame bosses but that's beside the point). GGG has come out and said in a recent announcement post that I'm too lazy to find that "ascendancy is considered a core part of the character and isn't optional", to poorly paraphrase. I believe it was one of the Q/A if you want to look for it.

People say it's mandatory and feel entitled to it because it more or less is mandatory unless your target difficulty is lower than red maps. There are also a few ascendancy points that are build enabling (for example a trap build pretty much sucks to play without sunblast, and your only other option is to go saboteur for chain reaction). People who are good at the game otherwise but suck at traps, for example, get pissed off that their out-of-lab experience is being stonewalled by their inability to do lab.

So, before you try and call out people who don't like lab, calling it "drama" and being "unworthy", perhaps first you should consider that lab skills are different from skill in the rest of the game, and you can suck at traps for whatever reason but be good at everything else in the game. Also, consider the difficulty of the content you have admitted to not having accessed yet which more or less requires ascendancy. Saying it's "optional" to take on endgame bosses designed in the last few patches without lab is like saying gear is optional. Yeah, you could do it if you're a masochist, but the game isn't balanced around it and you will suffer.

Last edited by MeWhenum on Jun 21, 2017, 12:23:50 PM
I don't feel entitled to Ascension, I only feel entitled to my fair shot. I've done probably 500+ labs and the only truly frustrating part is when you disconnect. I don't know why I disconnect so much in lab and no other aspects of the game, but it's frustrating to no end and I wish there was a solution.
So it seems traps and the one shot making DCing a real issue seem to be among the more pronounced complaints in the threads Ive read.

I can sympathize yet Im on horrible WiFi yet DC rarely. lag spike sure, mostly when I visit peoples hide outs that are just over loaded with effects. So I do have to wonder why and even if truly they are being honest about DCing so much.

The traps are simple patterns, and one can always carry a leap attack or lightning warp gem while getting through and then swap out at the final battle so I have to again wonder if their complaint comes more from an unwillingness to adapt.

Perhaps its true new end game content is being balanced around the power of ascension, Glad to hear it as even just the power granted to my merc dif character from doing normal mode lab has begun to let me, a filthy casual with far from perfect gear push into content I previously struggled with.

I personally cant imagine but do suspect if I manage cruel and merc ascension that my character will begin to push through to content I previously considered gated behind gear I was unlikely to ever get my grubby mitts on.

My question now is why is the power of ascension any different in the eyes of people then any other bit of power? Gear especially perfect statted build enablers are so pricey the vast majority will never own them. Thus locking them out of certain aspects of character progress and potential.

And builds in general are a power handed to many who lack the time or interest to explore and try the myriad paths of the skill web and gems. One could even say using another proven build is cheesing the main challenge of the game, developing an effective character.

It just seems to me people want to consider this new thing a special case because its actually far more readily available in the form of static content one can always attempt where as things like items are far more dependent on RNGesus or massive time investment to earn the funds to buy them via trade.

Ascension is there for all to seek, but only the ones playing well wrought builds they know how to use to their full potential are truly mean to have it. If they can not gain it then they should not be bothered about it any more then by not being able to get perfect rolled gear stats. At least that is how I view it.

The fact with friends one can gain access to the easier tiers of ascension seems to be spoiling people into feeling entitled to it on every character asap. I myself intend to aquire at least the 3 core difs ascension on my main myself. though that may take some time when i get them I will know Ive earned that power not had it handed to me.

For me at least the issue is infrequently DC'ing and is more frequently performance issues. Lab traps seem to be poorly optimized and I and a lot of people drop a lot of frames when there are many traps visible at once. Izaro also causes a decent amount of lag - before I had a good computer I would usually lag during izaro fights and my main source of death was frame dropping during the fights.

Merc and cruel labs are easy trap wise, but uber lab has sentinel traps which usually have pretty annoying placement, and usually it is impossible or nearly impossible to not take damage on the traps. Besides, %HP traps pretty much go against everything else in the game, which is all about stats and character building, and the reason people are annoyed with ascendancy being in lab is that it tests you in one thing (bullet hell/traps) and rewards you in another way (character power/damage). If you went to your driver's test and instead of testing your driving skills they asked you to juggle in order to get your license, you'd be annoyed, no?

"
SkyTomCar wrote:

The traps are simple patterns, and one can always carry a leap attack or lightning warp gem while getting through and then swap out at the final battle so I have to again wonder if their complaint comes more from an unwillingness to adapt.

So basically, stop playing whatever build they're playing and play something else? What are Summoners supposed to do? They can't afford to switch various skills in and out, or put certain skills on a weapon swap. If the key to labs is "use a different build", then the problem is with the content, not the player.
"
SkyTomCar wrote:
So I recently came back after fuck a year maybe 2 away. well before masters had been added think that was the first big update after my break began.

So upon returning I hear people in game looking for lab runners. took me a day or two to figure out it was short hand for this new ascension labyrinth thing. took me another week or two to stumble on the various trils, then had to finally break down and use wiki to find the first back in act 1 since I had left off in act 2 of merc last time I played.

So finally ready to run it I foolishly stepped in on merc dif and boy oh boy did I live up to that line about trying to ascend before being ready.

So I went to normal and ran it that way. now the traps where still pretty scary but I managed to on shitty wifi stumble and bumble my way through and get the first ascension points unlocked.

What i noticed almost instantly was how powerful they where. the day before I ascended I was struggling in tier 1 maps, to utterly decimating them.

A good example is the forest map. the day before ascending I was with effort able to clear the majority of the map but the cave with the big spider tore me apart so quickly I couldnt hope to stand against them and after a few deaths I yielded the battle to her.

Then I decided to test my newly gained super powers against her, and she simply didnt have a chance. she and her horde fell before my dual blades and the heavy dots wore her down so very fast and her minions exploded dealing even more damage helping to wipe them and her out in brutal terrible effect.

then as I browse the forums, read some of the fun popcorn worthy drama I see people use terms like mandatory in describing the powerful ascension points. Considering them just another part of any build.

This left me having to ponder this view and start this thread.

So I ask all those complaining about getting ascension unlocked, why do you feel this nearly game breaking power is something you are entitled to?

Why do you think every build should be capable of gaining them at or near level when this game offers so many build options that obviously some are late bloomers or simply passable at best?

It may be a while for me personally before I am ready for the upper dif labs. after all I am super casual and know my limits pretty well.

To me there is no shame nor sin knowing it may take some time to get the rest, and frankly am glad for some long term goals. Just as I seek to make a goddess unleashed one day for the sheer fun of it even though its a bloody fortune in gem cutters and the like to make one.

Well have fun and pour on some drama here telling us all why you think you just deserve the super powers without being worthy of them!

To put it simply. This is not end game breaking power. With so many nerfs that came and that are to come in 3.0, this is by no means end game breaking power. this is end game absolutly indespensable viability power! Without it GG, might as well not play.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
"
Axetwin wrote:
"
SkyTomCar wrote:

So basically, stop playing whatever build they're playing and play something else? What are Summoners supposed to do? They can't afford to switch various skills in and out, or put certain skills on a weapon swap. If the key to labs is "use a different build", then the problem is with the content, not the player.

I've never actually experienced a problem playing summoner in Labyrinth. Also you can easily afford to swap out a Support Gem for a Movement Skill Gem if need be. Everything in Labyrinth should be weak compared to your Summons unless you are attempting Labyrinth underleveled.
Sometimes I ask myself, why people play games at all. If I play something, then I want to play the whole game and not just a part of it, and if that means, that I have to play my whole POE life only Life Reg builds, so I can do Uber-Lab runs, then it should be so.

The question is only, what do you want to achieve in this game ? Skilltree and ascendancy points is that, what makes POE so interesting for me, and with the decision, ascendancy points to hide behind Lab, you have literally destroyed all the possibilities, you have created before. If you want to see the whole content, then you have almost no choice and that can't be good for the game. As far as I'm concerned, I can not have enough options.
Because its a core game mechanic I reckon
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info