Dashcam of the shooting of Philando Castile - NSFW

[Removed by Support]

Warning:slightly NSFW.

Last edited by Kieran_GGG on Jun 21, 2017, 8:21:19 PM
Last bumped on Jun 24, 2017, 5:29:12 AM
Do we know if the cop was wearing a body cam?

That's definitely one of the more fucked up cop shootings recently. I feel compelled to find out what it is that he was seeing that was so threatening, esp. given how calm both sides appeared to be while talking to each other.
"
pneuma wrote:
I feel compelled to find out what it is that he was seeing that was so threatening.

Maybe he saw something terrifying, maybe he is just a puss unfit to hold a gun.
He probably put his papers back where they came from and it happened to be near his weapon I guess. Officer panics and shoots him.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I wouldn't have convicted the cop of 2nd degree either.

I think we need a new standard: if you act in self defense, but the state can demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that you were an idiot and under no serious danger, you get manslaughter. Anyone who kills an innocent person should pay a price, even if there was no malice in their hearts — only stupid in their brains.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
The cop was super calm and so was the driver. Then he told the officer he had a gun, officer answer "don't reach it then" and again it was perfectly calm. Then everything gets out of control so fast, the police really freaks out super fast.

I agree with Pneuma would be nice if the officer had a body cam to see what happened. Because if the guy really reached his fire arm the police officer reacted accordingly but if he wasn't the police officer was clearly unfit for this job and way too stressed.

I dont think the cop was there with bad intention because you can clearly hear him crying after shooting the guy. The whole thing is so weird.
"
soneka101 wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
I feel compelled to find out what it is that he was seeing that was so threatening.

After the driver told him about the firearm, the officer said: "OK, don't reach for it, then." Then he said "Don't pull it out." He repeated "Don't PULL IT OUT!" and with one hand the office appears to be reaching in with one hand to try and control the driver's hand. An instant later, the officer's other hand drew his weapon and began firing.

The officer's initial tone of voice when the driver told him, does not suggest the officer was overtly defensive. The officer's tone of voice on the first "Don't pull it out." was not emotional. It is during the second command by the officer, that his emotional tone changes.

Whatever the driver was doing, and continued to do alarmed the officer. Whether that alarm was justified is impossible to say without the body cam footage.

There are videos where a suspect doesn't appear to be doing much and then suddenly produces a weapon and shoots officers. When someone trains heavily to respond, they aren't making a lot of conscious decisions, the training is kicking in as a reflexive response.

Without blaming the victim, people who are carrying a fire arm in their vehicle should have their wallet out on the seat next to them, and their registration and insurance under the visor. Reaching into a place where a gun can be concealed is a bad idea.

You can also tell the officer where your wallet and info is, and let them reach in and grab that while you keep your hands on the steering wheel. This was a tragic shooting.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jun 20, 2017, 9:21:59 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
soneka101 wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

After the driver told him about the firearm, the officer said: "OK, don't reach for it, then." Then he said "Don't pull it out." He repeated "Don't PULL IT OUT!" and with one hand the office appears to be reaching in with one hand to try and control the driver's hand. An instant later, the officer's other hand drew his weapon and began firing.

The officer's initial tone of voice when the driver told him, does not suggest the officer was overtly defensive. The officer's tone of voice on the first "Don't pull it out." was not emotional. It is during the second command by the officer, that his emotional tone changes.

Whatever the driver was doing, and continued to do alarmed the officer. Whether that alarm was justified is impossible to say without the body cam footage.

There are videos where a suspect doesn't appear to be doing much and then suddenly produces a weapon and shoots officers. When someone trains heavily to respond, they aren't making a lot of conscious decisions, the training is kicking in as a reflexive response.

Without blaming the victim, people who are carrying a fire arm in their vehicle should have their wallet out on the seat next to them, and their registration and insurance under the visor. Reaching into a place where a gun can be concealed is a bad idea.

You can also tell the officer where your wallet and info is, and let them reach in and grab that while you keep your hands on the steering wheel. This was a tragic shooting.

Let's say he was putting his wallet back in his back pocket when the officer said "don't pull it out", what should he do from there?

His hands are hidden from the cop and if he decides to show them so the cop knows he is not a threat the cop might get it wrong and think he is "pulling it out" and shoot him, so what he does?

Should he stand still and remain with his hands outside the view of the cop? Won't the cop take it as if he is pondering if he should "pull it out and shoot" or not?

"Don't pull it out" is a crappy directive. He could have asked for Castile to put his hands on the driving wheel or outside of the window, but I doubt that would be helpful with THIS kind of cop, after all it took 6 seconds. Castile informed he had a gun on him and 6 seconds later he was shot, not much time to slowly comply to a command.

------------

I don't know why anyone would defend this incompetence. Is it because they sympathize with the cop?

I want to ask, do anyone here want more cops like that?

If the answer is yes, then is it because you think you wouldn't act the way Castile did? But let's say you did, and by accident, would you be okay in dying just like that?

7 shots in front of your girlfriend and her kid because of a broken taillight...

You could have 30 or 40 years ahead of you, but that is gone because people thought it was fine to hire someone that wasn't fit for the job.
"
soneka101 wrote:
I don't know why anyone would defend this incompetence. Is it because they sympathize with the cop?

Personally, I need more information. Given only the video, I'd vote in favor of charging him with both manslaughter and reckless (for the woman/child in the car with him). Regardless of the outcome of court cases, he shouldn't be a cop anymore.

"
soneka101 wrote:
You could have 30 or 40 years ahead of you, but that is gone because people thought it was fine to hire someone that wasn't fit for the job.

Was there any indication that he wasn't fit for the job on any day leading up to this day? That would be an interesting data point.

---

Oh also, if he had a body cam, it would be completely different and strictly better. More cameras on cops is more better for everyone.
Last edited by pneuma on Jun 21, 2017, 12:49:28 AM
"
pneuma wrote:
"
soneka101 wrote:

Personally, I need more information. Given only the video, I'd vote in favor of charging him with both manslaughter and reckless (for the woman/child in the car with him). Regardless of the outcome of court cases, he shouldn't be a cop anymore.

Well, he was charged but the jury acquitted him. I don't have much info about it, but it seems at least he won't be able to continue serving as a cop.

"
pneuma wrote:
"
soneka101 wrote:

Was there any indication that he wasn't fit for the job on any day leading up to this day? That would be an interesting data point.

Not that I'm aware of, but still, I think this kind of guy should be weeded out in the academy. I doubt a marine would freak out in his place the way he did(BTW there is even an story where a former marine that was working as a cop identified an "suicide by cop"-situation and because he didn't shoot the guy he got fired).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info