Anyone like to read? I wrote a little something...

Just a little action/adventure/humor novel called Inevitable Ascension. Well, it's got about 300 pages so maybe not that little. But what's (potentially) neat about it, is I wrote it with my husband, and we each did our parts simultaneously and in secret before combining what we came up with, so even we were surprised by the twists.

It's a 24 meets ChronoTrigger kind of story.

Anyway, I'll email you your very own special copy for free if anyone wants to give it a shot. To decide whether it's your cup of tea, check out http://www.inevitableascension.com/ for a trailer, some of our art, the synopsis etc.

I'd love to hear your guys' opinions. The dream is to quit my job and work on the series full-time

Edit: The first 3 pages are posted a few posts down. :)
Last edited by KZA on Jun 14, 2017, 6:18:13 PM
Last bumped on Jul 7, 2017, 7:42:01 PM
You've got a copy waiting for you in your email. :) Hope you enjoy!
Send me a three-page version. ;)
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
The trailer and interview kept my attention. I'll give it a try.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
bwam wrote:
Send me a three-page version. ;)

You can check out the first couple chapters by taking this link and clicking on the book cover where it says "Look Inside":

https://www.amazon.com/Inevitable-Ascension-V-K-McAllister-ebook/dp/B015AS2FTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497252415&sr=8-1&keywords=inevitable+ascension

But for everyone's convenience, I'll just post the first 3 pages right here! :)

What was it that gave people the right to live? Violina gazed out from atop the cliffs encircling the City of Eden and the sea beyond as she pondered the question. The serenity emanating from its golden towers and pristine canals utterly failed to reflect the vileness of its inhabitants. Was it simply being born that gave such a right? No. Everyone was born through no credit of their own. It’s how people choose to live their lives that matters, and by that standard, everyone Violina knew deserved to die—everyone except for Lux.

Two years earlier, before Violina had met her, Violina’s father had attempted to rob Lux at knifepoint—a near-fatal mistake. Lux smashed her boot into his face, drew a hand crossbow and held it to his throat. Such a story would’ve been nothing out of the ordinary for Eden, but Lux was different. She had every reason to kill him; instead, she told him he should’ve just asked politely so she could’ve given him her money voluntarily. Without lowering her crossbow, she reached into her pack, gave him all the platinum pieces she had and encouraged him to choose a better life.

Floored that someone with such character even existed in the world, Violina sought her out. The two quickly became friends and spent the next two years working together as hunters—“poachers” as the Law Makers labeled the profession, but the fact that it was illegal held little sway as Violina knew firsthand that the Law Makers were nothing more than smiling, designer suit-wearing puppets for the actual rulers of Eden—the mob. Still, to the girls’ satisfaction, the illegality of hunting also brought about the pleasant side effect of lucrative sales prices. The money was simply fantastic, at least until their client refused to pay what they had promised.

Violina had plotted for days. No longer would she stand for all the lies and unpaid sums. Though some would readily suggest she simply kill her debtors, the thought never loitered in her mind in any serious fashion. In fact, she had never killed anyone before and hoped such would remain true until the day she died. Still, she was determined to make up her losses via other means. After all, it can’t really be called thievery when one reclaims what is rightfully theirs, can it?

All the meticulous preparation had led to this moment. Standing with her leather boot just over the cliff edge, Violina eyed the target sitting directly below her: The Museum of Ancient Life and Civilization. Therein lay her prize. Giving her rope a couple of firm tugs, she grew confident that she was, in fact, not about to plummet to her death. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as she rappelled down the cliffside, savoring the thought of imminent justice. Upon reaching the top floor of the museum, she took a final look across Eden with its glimmering steam stacks and clock towers. There was no turning back now. She shattered a stained glass window and climbed inside.

“You break it, you buy it,” said a pleasant but teasing voice. Violina looked up and saw the source—a tall, slender girl with platinum hair and a beaming smile.

“Well, Lux, how about we just let them take it out of our fee?”

Lux laughed. “I suppose that’s one way to do it. Goodness, why didn’t they just pay us as promised? Would’ve made life a lot simpler for everybody.”

“You know what they say, everything happens for a reason,” answered Violina. “It just so happens that in this case, the reason is they’re stupid and make bad decisions.”

Lux was a girl of many talents. Having completed her university studies in biochemistry by age nineteen, she was a prodigy. Since then, her skill in medicine had more than often proven useful, but today was a day when her poisons came in handy, as the rhinoceroses rampaging through the live animal exhibit would attest. Perhaps her most defining quality was her love of animals: bacon, steak, and, to a lesser extent, chicken. She was also quite fond of the live versions and kept many pets. Two years ago, upon graduation, she was torn between two professions that would allow her to be with her furry friends frequently—veterinarian or hunter. With Violina’s persuasion, she became a hunter as it allowed her to wear her furry friends. On this occasion, she wore a long, thin coat of black leather as she insisted it was absolutely fitting for a heist.

Violina eyed Lux’s pack. “Have you got our weapons?”

Lux repeated the question as if Violina had asked the obvious. “Do I have our weapons? Violina, I’m practically ‘Discount Weapons Warehouse’ over here. Take your pick.”
Last edited by KZA on Jun 14, 2017, 6:18:35 PM
Here's a little fun fact:

Two years ago we tried doing our own art for the series. Here's a comparison of our first and most recent attempts:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info