Happy Pride Month everyone!

"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
My biggest issue with it all are the labels people are putting on themselves. For example I consider myself a straight man but if I end up having a steamy night of passion with one of my chubby gay friends society or lgbt then expect me to identify as bi. Or if I'm attracted to a trans woman as a straight man society expects me to take exception to that compared to a biological woman.

Personally I think all the labels are bs. Having an evening watching the telly with my chubby friend turning into a bit of a night doesn't change who I am and I don't feel any different the next morning. Nor do I act any differently afterwords.

I don't need some group telling me it's ok or not ok. Or that I'm now this but before I was that.

Seems like all unnecessary divisions. I think people would be happier if they would be themselves and not try to play to whatever group society tries to place them in. To me then you wouldn't need all the special treatment. You still have to conform to societal expectations in terms of how you dress, act and talk in work social situations regardless of your lgbt'ness so using those labels as an excuse to act far outside the norm isn't helping anyone.

I hate labels too but one gotta embrace them first to get rid of them someday. And the world isnt ready yet for living without labels.
"
sarahaustin wrote:
I hate labels too but one gotta embrace them first to get rid of them someday.

Absolutely not; this is exactly wrong.
Embracing them only makes them stronger and last longer.

Relevant: Morgan Freeman talking about 'Black History Month'.

---

If the current popular opinion is to be believed, LBGT are born that way and don't have a choice. In that case, it's no different than being born with a certain color of skin, or born into a certain country.

Why would anyone be proud about something that they had zero control over? Case in point, why is the concept of "White Pride" or "Male Pride" or "Heterosexual Pride" offensive? They had just as little choice as anyone else about the circumstances of their birth.

"Good for me, but not for thee" is the foundation of bigotry.

---

Anyway, have fun. Festivities are always nice. I should see if there's going to be any big cookouts or concerts around town.
"
pneuma wrote:
If the current popular opinion is to be believed, LBGT are born that way and don't have a choice. In that case, it's no different than being born with a certain color of skin, or born into a certain country.

Why would anyone be proud about something that they had zero control over?

---

Anyway, have fun. Festivities are always nice. I should see if there's going to be any big cookouts or concerts around town.

I imagine it's because pride is the opposite of shame wich is what every bigoted, oppressive bastard out there thinks they should be feeling. Unlike the rest of us, they've actually had to fight for the rights of being who they are (and still do in many places). So instilling a sense of pride in diversity and simultaneously putting a lampshade on what is a human rights movement seems appropriate.

In contrast, I think the closest we've been in modern times to fighting for some manner of rights was a Bestie Boys song. The suggested alternative pride festivities would, in context, seem highly inappropriate and distasteful, even if well-meaning. At best it's tragically missing the point of the Pride movement and at worst they'd be infested with actual bigots wanting to make a stand against the percieved "enemies" of what's "right and normal".

---

That's how I see it anyway, from my admittedly limited point of view.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info