Option for Customizing Disconnect Timeout

Make an option which allows the user to fully customize the time a character stays inside the game after (potential) connection loss.

This is currently the biggest problem for HC players with "random" disconnects.

--

Unfortunately I have such "random" disconnects now. Dont know if I will continue to play PoE.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Last bumped on Oct 2, 2018, 9:53:31 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
how to provide such a feature only to players who are aware of the side effects and who really need it?

if there is no answer to that you just open a new round of "blame the servers" and introduced one more trap for those normal players to jump in
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
how to provide such a feature only to players who are aware of the side effects and who really need it?

There are multiple possibilities. One of them: Make a warning dialog when the user sets the option which has a bold "Warning" on it and exactly explains what it does. And then when this actually does trigger tell the user why it happened == because the user chose this option. Furthermore the game can give the potentially-unaware-of-such-side-effects user a simple "one click to restore it to default value" box in exactly this post-happening dialog.

Neither the implementation of such feature is very costly nor the implementation of this "Warning" UI. The (small) cost is dwarfed by the benefit for potential HC players. I say "potential" because - far as I am aware due to reading posts on this topic - there are players who would play HC but dont because of this problem.

And it would also be beneficial for some high level SC players who want to level up more.
while i can see the benefits, experience says that

- if it gives an advantage, using it becomes mandarory
- if mandatory, nobody reads any warnings
- users have no problem to always blame ggg, even if the cat did eat the cat5 cable
- if you ask them, they didn't change anything in the settings

i did suggest a automatic optimising routine which, if enabled, gradually takes down the client timeout on the server if the connection proves to be stable over a longer period of time. and resets if if it didn't

but i don't think it would help in case of permanent network delays.
"
vio wrote:
i did suggest a automatic optimising routine which, if enabled, gradually takes down the client timeout on the server if the connection proves to be stable over a longer period of time. and resets if if it didn't

but i don't think it would help in case of permanent network delays.

I dont believe in automatic/"intelligent" adjustments. That is not what I am looking for. I want a precise, clear (to me) and functional rule. Making a manual option would fix this problem for me. I wouldnt mind an "automatic" optional setting though.
"
Zrevnur wrote:
Make a warning dialog when the user sets the option which has a bold "Warning" on it

Utter waste of time as people don't tend to read the bloody warnings when they are there...they just click ok then whine after the point, and most players are sheep...if they see a streamer do it then they'll do it then wonder why they get DC'd 10x more often than they used to.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jun 7, 2017, 4:25:27 PM
"
Zrevnur wrote:

i'm not sure what people watching streamers would prefer: a streamer's char getting wasted or a streamer getting disconnected ever 10 minutes...

uhm, i think it's the first.
"
vio wrote:
i'm not sure what people watching streamers would prefer: a streamer's char getting wasted or a streamer getting disconnected ever 10 minutes...

uhm, i think it's the first.

I think its neither: They (some of them, others dont want the streamer to RIP) want to actually see the streamer RIP. And not just see a 'Standard' when the streamer logs back in after a disconnect. So such an option would help to make streamers more enjoyable for such ppl.

About the '10 minutes' claim: Why would a streamer set the value so low to annoy watchers? They want to gain watchers and not loose them.
"
Zrevnur wrote:
About the '10 minutes' claim: Why would a streamer set the value so low to annoy watchers? They want to gain watchers and not loose them.

a more intelligent disconnect algorithm would definitely result in more situations where, in case of internet delay, the server just kicks you.
this would be the case if tech on the server adjusts it dependent on the current delays but even more so if users could set a fixed timeout.

and experience says that, due to thelack of understanding the underlying tech", people would just blame the game to be crappy. just like they just now blame the servers when they have high latency spikes or even disconnect.

don't get me wrong, i'm in favour of a option to let the server decide if a client just got latency spikes or disconnected to take the char out of the game earlier but these are the consequences.

and they're probably seen bad enough for the reputation of the game by ggg that they don't get implemented.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info