You go...girl?

"
DalaiLama wrote:
The difference here isn't a matter of competitiveness or training.

Well, the whole thing went a bit off the track and some other things jumped out of the left field.

It doesn't really matter if the man/woman is being gender imbalanced, confused or just an extremely driven opportunist. What he/she is doing violates the spirit of sport and fair play, therefore it shouldn't be allowed. If you have to change your sex - tough luck, you won't be able to compete in any sport that segregates genders anymore.

Maybe it sounds a bit cruel, but if you feel in any way uncertain about the gender you were born with, just pick something else to do. It fortunately manifests early enough to leave you plenty of time.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Almost all sports are sexually segregated. I'm actually struggling at the moment to think of any legitimate sport that is not. Extreme Frisbee?
"
BodyHammer01 wrote:
Almost all sports are sexually segregated. I'm actually struggling at the moment to think of any legitimate sport that is not. Extreme Frisbee?

Yeah, I think riding is a mixed gender sport but can't really think of anything else.

Though I suppose more sports could be included if needed, probably any pure skill based sport like marksmanship. Gotta notice that will reduce your chances to win, which might be one of the reasons most sports are segregated.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jun 7, 2017, 1:28:15 PM
Kerling.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
BodyHammer01 wrote:

Chess is considered as a sport in many country and it's not segregated by gender. In the top 100 players there's only 1 woman btw.
"
raics wrote:
Though I suppose more sports could be included if needed, probably any pure skill based sport like marksmanship. Gotta notice that will reduce your chances to win, which might be one of the reasons most sports are segregated.

Oddly enough, women are increasingly considered to be naturally better marksmen; that some part of female physiology and/or the female brain allows them to make overall more accurate shots.

Competition shooting wasn't segregated for a long time but was made segregated in 1980. Even before segregation, women were able to compete at an even keel with men, and that was back when it was less socially acceptable to teach your daughter to shoot from a young age.

I would not be surprised at all if shooting competitions became genderless again and women ended up being at the top of the field. Or that men in the sport pushed for the sport to stay segregated so that they'd have an opportunity to compete in front of cameras.

At any rate, I'd love to find out.

(For a random anecdote, I've got an uncle/aunt that bond over competitive shooting, and she puts his skeet-shooting to shame consistently.)
Women are great marksman. In college archery guess who won? ALOT? More recently, I have seen them out on the range shooting and some are good. But, I hate to say this, the ones that are bad are spectacularly bad. Like take the gun away from them before someone gets hurt or dead bad. Probably improper training.
Censored.
"
morbo wrote:
But, but biology doesn't exist... It's all in your socially constructed head.

Obviously the doctors made an error, when they were assigning the sex of this female at birth. If they correctly identified him as her, she wouldn't be able to run so fast now.

Made my day! ;o)
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I completely respect a person's right to identify any way they may feel is who or what they are, but saying a male athlete can compete as a woman fairly is a biological phallacy.

hue hue hue

Pun/typo/Freudian slip? Whatever it is, it's good.

"
pneuma wrote:

Oddly enough, women are increasingly considered to be naturally better marksmen; that some part of female physiology and/or the female brain allows them to make overall more accurate shots.

Competition shooting wasn't segregated for a long time but was made segregated in 1980. Even before segregation, women were able to compete at an even keel with men, and that was back when it was less socially acceptable to teach your daughter to shoot from a young age.

That's interesting. Didn't know that.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 7, 2017, 4:20:45 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:
The difference here isn't a matter of competitiveness or training.

Well, the whole thing went a bit off the track and some other things jumped out of the left field.

It doesn't really matter if the man/woman is being gender imbalanced, confused or just an extremely driven opportunist. What he/she is doing violates the spirit of sport and fair play, therefore it shouldn't be allowed. If you have to change your sex - tough luck, you won't be able to compete in any sport that segregates genders anymore.

Maybe it sounds a bit cruel, but if you feel in any way uncertain about the gender you were born with, just pick something else to do. It fortunately manifests early enough to leave you plenty of time.

My point wasn't meant to be about gender, so I hope it didn't get taken that way. It was about the differences in physiology - muscles, tendons, bones, heart and lungs etc, that make any sense of competition a joke. I'm not going to dig for the link, atm, but there have been several cases where male high school students have easily beaten some of the best professional women's athletes in their given sport. Team sports are even worse, with some junior high boys teams being able to compete with and defeat the best in the women's world.

THAT was my point.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jun 7, 2017, 6:02:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info