[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

"
Milkyslice wrote:
"
fwd wrote:
Hi Milky!

I almost completed Zana's questline, only last quest remains. Any advices to fight UberElder, may be some video guide with phases explanation (even not for this build)?

I have 274k Shaper DPS on single SR totem, 5100hp, 400es and 2400mp. Probably I should go without Blashpemy and Enfeeble to have more life pool? If the fight has many dangerous ads it's not that good from other side...

I'd like to get any advices from you or from anyone who uses this build and have UberElder fight experience.

I got burned out in the league and havent had the energy to grind my last fragment. the last three elder spawns were on maps which arent sold as t16 for the partytrick and now i just PoB for the race :p

So i got no experience with the fight, but i am pretty damn sure he's doable on it since the mobility is there and we got substain.

Still my thoughts how i would prepare:

- sapphire flask, its the main dmg source in the fight.

- kaoms roots might be an option for the slow effects, drop the rft setuo in the boots for it. Leapslam would be better than shield charge in that case.

- not sure about blasphemy enfeeble vs cwdt enfeeble. The fight is pretry spread out so i'm not sure if blasphemy affects much most of the time.

The dps should be more than enough with searing bond on top.

Its a fight that requires good mechanical skills, knowledge of the fight and a chilled mind ;) expect to rip the first runs, i would expect tht for myself (bricked my first 2 shaper runs, then a 4 death run, then 1 rip and nowadays i run him deathless like... every time).

report back how it worked out for you ;)

My Shaper runs were 5 deaths - then fail (tried to explode 15 anomalies for the challenge) - then only 1 death today.
Bought Kaom's roots. Though if he has a lot of ads fighting without RF could be clunky.
I'm using Whirling Blades, it should work probably. I could switch to Leap Slam and Lioneye's Remorse though, have to watch fight video before, then decide.
I care about Blasphemy only because it's extra hp, and seems like he's doing a lot of burst damage.
I need to kill guardians, then may be level up to not lose a lot of xp. So it could take a couple days for me. I'll post my results for sure.
https://youtu.be/invA_WsKZ70

slightly offtopic, but somewhat topic.

some guide from me about setting up your own lootfilter with a neversink template in filterblade.xyz

something like that can help a lot for races, new leagues or mid-league
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
About Uber Elder.

I decided to go without Kaom's roots: I'm missing resists without my boots, and I watched 2 guides where guys dodging everything without them (one used Lightning Warp and another Blink Arrow). So I decided to go with Whirling Blades. I have LW+FC+LD on switch slot (mostly for some UberLab places), but without cast speed passives nodes it's still too slow to use in such dynamic fight.

Instead of Blasphemy I used Clarity, it's basically some regen for free (250mp reservation is nothing).
I ignored Immortal Call or anti-Cold flasks.

As a result I ripped 5 sets, and found a carry when almost ripped 6th one. My best result was bring them to 25%hp each. Main cause of death were Shaper Balls - usually I was trying to dodge some Elder shit and accidentally get one-shotted by Shaper who throw his balls from off-screen. Another issue were Madness Propagators - if I failed to kill one fast enough when dodging something around the arena - their corrupted ground is incredibly painful. I also tried to explode Shaper's anomalies in a corners, but sometimes was bad with it... having such shit in a middle of arena makes dodge even harder.

I still think it should be possible to kill them with this build, even though last 25% is most tough part of the fight when you kill Shaper finishing Elder should be much easier. And if I was better with a dodge I could went to that stage of the fight having more portals remaining.

Another thing to think about is changing skill tree and dropping curse nodes in favor of more survivability. Or DPS. DPS is good against Shaper/Elder, but when it's about kill Madness Propagator fast I sometimes failed that.

Spoiler

My best(?) run, it's painful to watch, but may be could be interesting for someone:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/257306917

"
Milkyslice wrote:
https://youtu.be/invA_WsKZ70
slightly offtopic, but somewhat topic.
some guide from me about setting up your own lootfilter with a neversink template in filterblade.xyz
something like that can help a lot for races, new leagues or mid-league

Nice video, it makes me think about playing SSF Flashback.
Last edited by fwd on May 3, 2018, 4:28:55 PM
I watched the clip and its an interesting watch. 1 shaperslam (can happen) and the rest ballkills (should not happen).

There are some major things to improve from my view:

- stay closer to shaper if possible. You often died from offscreen balls or whirled right into em.

- the totem uptime seems low, but i might be wrong with that

- you seem to be a bit overwhelmed with everything happening there. more practice will calm you down and have a better focus on the stuff.

- you do not use orb of storms like... at all. No ele overload or ele Equilibrium uptime is very bad for the dps, its probably a 50% dps loss or more.

- whirling blades could be used more frequently, i see you walking around slowly doing nothing a lot of the time.

What can you do better?

+ swap arcane surge out of orb of storms for faster casting if its too slow for you in this fight. You need to keep oos up all the time for your crucial buffs. I know the fight is hectic and requires much movement and fast actions from the player. Faster casting gives you more room for that.

+ You might consider speccing out of the curse nodes + templar starting point and use it for Totemic Zeal. Like with faster casting... even faster totem placement grants you more mobility, you start to deal dmg quicker and the castspeed lets sr ramp up a bit quicker which is not bad to have with all the target changes.

+ dont move into the balls :p Thats mainly an issue with the lack of overview over the arena. If you got shaper and elder on the screen most of the time its easier to predict the moves. Surely not always possible with the elder ring that forces you into a specific location from time to time.

Thats basically all you need to succeed.
rewatch your own clip and you can learn from it, in hindsight most rips are easily avoidable.

On the upside is the mostly good vortex-ball placement, you get barely slowed (can do it without kaoms roots) and the substain is very good for the fight. I am pretty damn sure that you can do it and i am tempted to do it myself after flashback... unlocking the shit is just annoying.

tl:dr Keep calm, get a better overview and use Orb of Storms more frequently. Small changes for faster castspeed/totem placement can make it a lot safer!

Thanks a lot for advices!

I will try Totemic Zeal.

I agree with low uptime of Totems and OOS, I was too overwhelmed by dodging everything.

Other questions:

1. What if I try OOS+COH+Flammability with CWDT? Or two trigger effects will not work in one setup? I'm afraid then even with Faster Casting it's too hard to find time and remember about EE/EO proc. With CWDT only possible problem is OOS placement, but the arena is small and bosses teleporting over it all the time so they'll should get debuff sooner or later.

2. I was thinking about trying Leap Slam, with it I should be able to jump over balls to the other side. Sometimes I was in a dead end and tried to WB through balls, and it's death. From another side Leap Slam is slower then WB AFAIK.

Since I ripped all my sets it'll take some time to recover, may be leveling up. I need to get Uber Elder in the Atlas again, then I'll respec and take another tries.
cwdt + oos is not possible, it con only be cast manually.

But you could add in a cwdt + arc (autotarget) or ball lightning for excample. EE is the most important part, curses not so much with the 80% less effectiveness. But i've seen many opportunitys to cast oos in the fight tho...

leap and whirl have similar speed. In both cases it depends on how high the %atkspeed on the weapon is (basespeed doesnt matter). Instead of a dagger you could use a fast sceptre in the mainhand with doryanis or a brightbeak.

"
Milkyslice wrote:
cwdt + oos is not possible, it con only be cast manually.

But you could add in a cwdt + arc (autotarget) or ball lightning for excample. EE is the most important part, curses not so much with the 80% less effectiveness. But i've seen many opportunitys to cast oos in the fight tho...

leap and whirl have similar speed. In both cases it depends on how high the %atkspeed on the weapon is (basespeed doesnt matter). Instead of a dagger you could use a fast sceptre in the mainhand with doryanis or a brightbeak.

I agree there was many opportunities to place more totems or OOS, but in a fight it's difficult when you have to watch for 2 deadly bosses actions in one time. So I think setup with less buttons to press is worth trying.

EDIT: I tried to run some maps Arc+CoH+Flam with both CWDT and Arcane Surge. With CWDT it's not bad on maps, but I realized that on bosses it's clunky to proc. On an other side with self-cast I liked it even more then OOS, because of it's range. In UE fight when bosses are teleporting all over the arena it's hard to run to a boss, place OOS and run away. With Arc you can simply cast it fast from range and back to dodging. I definitely will try it. Yes you can place OOS in a middle, but Shaper for example teleporting from corner to corner and unlikely to get hit. And overall running into a center gives you less space to dodge.

Ball Lightning is worth testing as well for sure. It depends how long does it stay to reliably have EE on both bosses.

I tried Leap Slam, it's much worse (slower, clunky) then my Lightning Warp on switch setup. I will just practice to switch weapons and LW quickly in case when WB is blocked by balls or other shit.

EDIT2: Switched to Totemic Zeal and it really rocks.
Last edited by fwd on May 4, 2018, 12:18:53 PM
Hello i'm kinda new my first character was arc witch and now I try Milky's totem but I have a question regarding early leveling - level 30, I saved EE for last and after I took it I kept wondering why? it makes my map clearing way way way harder, and impossible to tag breach monsters with orb of storms before casting fire skills (scorching ray + searing bond).
Did I miss anything?
How do you do quick leveling with EE if at all?
Any help is much appreciated!
i dont understand the problem. If you have no flat firedmg on your gear (especially weapons)... so no "adds x-x fire dmg to spells" you benefit from -50% fire resistance on enemy and you deal significantly more dmg.

Its not needed to cast orb of storms all the time, it only matters against rare monsters, bosses and other tanky stuff. Dont waste time casting it on white monsters

"
Milkyslice wrote:
i dont understand the problem. If you have no flat firedmg on your gear (especially weapons)... so no "adds x-x fire dmg to spells" you benefit from -50% fire resistance on enemy and you deal significantly more dmg.

Its not needed to cast orb of storms all the time, it only matters against rare monsters, bosses and other tanky stuff. Dont waste time casting it on white monsters

So for leveling up until endgame you don't care for the 25% resistance mobs get when you clear them with scorching ray?
The EE is basically to make only bosses easier then I take it?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info