Possible Change for Scion/Ascendant?

With all the speculation (and salt) over the changes to the Ascendant, there is one thing I am seeing rather consistently, and that is how little Scion ultimately gets out of Ascendancy compared to other classes. I tried my luck with an Ascendant not long ago and while I have many personal build choices to adjust, there was one major thing that struck me as very backwards, and that is it takes THREE Labyrinths to reach another class's path. While there are some definite problems with lack of extra passives and the weak by comparison ascendant nodes, I think the biggest issue is that she takes so damned long to reach another class's path. By time you've cleared merciless lab and can enter a class's path, you'd already have spent (or likely will have spent) the passives to reach the one you'd have taken in the first place. Her overall ascendancy tree is also just weak in general. I think Ascendant needs three key changes:

1. More value to the overall Ascendancy tree
2. More passives to provide for Scion's inherent design as a jack-of-all-trades
3. Immediate access to "Path of the Class" nodes

I'd propose the following to achieve this, which would greatly open up some really needed variety for Ascendant...

From the center of the tree, the nodes are:
Stats + 1 Passive Point (PP) >> Path of the Class + 1 PP >> Ascendancy notable/wheel >> Passive and stats node "spike"

The Ascendancy notables are arranged on a wheel separated on each side by two minor nodes. Depending on the classes neighboring these nodes, you'll gain certain stats as well as mitigation along with passive points. Beyond each Ascendancy notable is a spike of three additional nodes that provide stats, passives, and mitigation associated to that class with the final node providing additional stats, mitigation, and 3 PP. So, let's go through three examples.

Let's say I'm a strength/melee build. My initial direction in the passive tree takes me between Duelist and Marauder, but for my Ascendancy I choose the Strength > Path of Marauder nodes. I have two passives to immediately place into the Marauder starting area. My next Ascendancy points take Juggernaut and I decide to go up the spike. I gain some Armor, Strength, and 1 PP for the first node. My 3rd set of points complete the spike for some Armor, Strength, and 1 PP for the next node with the final node providing maybe twice as much strength and armor as the previous node and also netting me 3 more PP. For my last 2 Ascendancy points, I path towards the Duelist notable, gaining Str/Dex, Ar/Ev, and 1 PP each node. In the end, I've gained 9 additional passive points, took 1 ascendancy notable, and started from one class area, with a solid amount of extra strength and armor with a dash of evasion and dex.

But, let's say instead I'm more of a hybrid/chaos build. I start my passive tree building towards Witch and reach her starting area that way. My Ascendancy choice goes towards Shadow, netting me Int/Dex and 2 PP so I can start from the Shadow area. My next two points take Trickster and I follow the wheel towards Witch netting me Es/Ev, Int/Dex, and 1 PP. My 3rd set of points finish my path towards Witch for more Ev/Es, more Int/Dex, 1 more PP, and I then take Occultist. For my last two points, I go up the spike behind Witch for ES, Int, and 2 more PP. In the end, I've gained 6 PP, two Ascendancy notables, and am starting from 1 class area, with some extra Es/Ev and Int/Dex.

Or perhaps I'm doing a CI with spell crit/ailment build. I build my passive tree towards Witch on my own. My first two Ascendancy points go towards Shadow and I start building from the Shadow area. My next two Ascendancy points go towards Templar, allowing me if I choose to grab some Templar starting area stuff. My 3rd set of points net me Assassin and Inquisitor ascendancy notables. My final set of points use the wheel towards Witch for Int/Dex, Es/Ev, and 2 PP. In the end, I've gained 6 PP, two Ascendancy notables, and can start from 2 class areas, along with a dash of strength and a bit of extra Es/Ev and Int/Dex.

So, overall, the possibilities are greatly opened up for build variety and the ascendant's tree is far more fulfilling with a far more impactful variety of choices. I can access multiple starting areas, but sacrifice additional stats and mitigation. I can gain lots of extra stats and mitigation and more passive points but only gain one ascendancy and class area. The opportunities for new and creative builds would really be there, the way Scion was meant to be.
Last bumped on May 28, 2017, 7:39:57 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info