Experience Penalties for Death Should Go Bye Bye

Hey,

Just want to throw in my 2 cents here. My wife and I have been playing PoE for quite a while now. We were loving this game until we got our mains to lvl 80 or so.

As of today, we're going to put aside PoE for the simple reason that it doesn't make sense to continue playing. When we play maps, the performance issue with the game (different effects, huge mob packs, etc.) create an artificial level of difficulty. It's almost laughable in a way. For us, the "hardness" of maps has nothing to do with the actual intended gameplay, bosses, etc. It's about how the wonderful effects in PoE essentially lock up our computer screens.

It's amazing how easy it is to die when your computer screen is frozen in place due to graphics issues.

We've had a blast playing this game from lvl 1-80 and the problem hasn't really become an issue until maps, with its large pack sizes and bosses, etc. We have a good connection, and to be honest we play other similar types of games without any difficulty on our computers. In short, this is a PoE issue, not a computer issue.

My suggestion is that the developers get rid of the experience penalty for death on harder difficulties until they can fix this issue. It would be something that would improve the gaming experience until they can get around to fixing the underlying performance issues, and make the game still worthwhile to play. There's nothing more pointless than not being able to progress in a game (or level up) just because of something that you as a player have absolutely no control over.

Ah well, it's been fun GGG. Thanks for making a great game. I look forward to coming back to it at a future time. Please do the community a favor: make this game playable and enjoyable again. Getting rid of experience penalties - OR, better yet, fixing the effects so that they don't freeze up the gaming experience, would be a great next step. Quite frankly, without it, I think many players will do as we are now. Just shrug our shoulders and move on to a game that doesn't have these issues.
Last bumped on May 29, 2017, 10:14:29 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I'm sorry to say that level 80 is where the game truly starts. This is when you learn whether your build was successful, whether or not it's fixable, and what is holding you back. My advice is to do smart mapping. What I call smart mapping is to take a loot at maps and see if there are any mods that could potentially screw up your characters. I would also avoid the "has increased critical chance", temporal chains mods.

Honestly, until t6, I just stuck with magic maps that were very easy.

Here is my current scheme for leveling:

1) Do the Atlas until you reach a tier which has no exp penalty. Clear this tier for the Atlas.
2)Do all maps one tier above the tier used in the previous step unless you have reached 50% exp.
3)Take a break from the atlas and only do maps you feel comfortable with. Sticking with tiers from step 1 is fine, but if there is a map at step 2 that you found extremely easy, do that map as well.

If you are unable to do any maps at the minimum tier with 0 exp penalty, take a step back and think about why you are dying? It might be because of leech, health, dps.

Figure out if it's your weapon or gear. If it is your gear, figure out ways to get chaos quickly and just save up till you can buy the item.

Current level is 86. Working on t13/14 maps.
"
Slicer9875 wrote:
I'm sorry to say that level 80 is where the game truly starts. This is when you learn whether your build was successful, whether or not it's fixable, and what is holding you back. My advice is to do smart mapping. What I call smart mapping is to take a loot at maps and see if there are any mods that could potentially screw up your characters. I would also avoid the "has increased critical chance", temporal chains mods.

1) Do the Atlas until you reach a tier which has no exp penalty. Clear this tier for the Atlas.
2)Do all maps one tier above the tier used in the previous step unless you have reached 50% exp.
3)Take a break from the atlas and only do maps you feel comfortable with. Sticking with tiers from step 1 is fine, but if there is a map at step 2 that you found extremely easy, do that map as well.

If you are unable to do any maps at the minimum tier with 0 exp penalty, take a step back and think about why you are dying? It might be because of leech, health, dps.

Figure out if it's your weapon or gear. If it is your gear, figure out ways to get chaos quickly and just save up till you can buy the item.

He said its a performance issue
Need more brains, exile?
Actually, I'd say that getting to level 80 with one's first or second character is doing pretty good. Start new characters and try to have more fun?
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Your pc/netowork connection sucks and you're bad player.
"
MasterTBC wrote:
"
Slicer9875 wrote:

He said its a performance issue

I have performance issues too sometimes; I would play around with startup options like preloading and garbage collector. I would also use dx9 improved over dx11 if you have poor graphics. I would also lower texture quality to 5 and turn off shadows. A really good tip that helped was making the game fullscreen directly. Be careful with strongboxes, lighting based effects, and temporal chains.
Ever think you might need a better pc? My pc that I bought in 2012 can play this game without an issue. They aren't gonna get rid of the death penalty any time soon. They might change it some day, but I doubt it will ever really disappear.
Last edited by Telzen on May 28, 2017, 1:52:30 PM
Was waiting for a thread like this to pop up just so that I can share my opinion.

As a player who has experienced hardcore in beta, then moved to standard with the advent of challenge leagues, and since then has seen significant changes IRL, I can say I understand both sides of the argument. I believe in the benefits of a death penalty, but I can also understand a tired guy coming home from work, eager to smash some monsters and see a progress bar rise, but failing to notice that mouse battery being almost drained, or that increased monster AoE mod on the map with the one-shot boss, or any of the other gazillion little details that can mean the difference between life and death in this game.

Where I really want to get at is, why couldn't the game reconcile between the two? Allowing hardcore characters to resume playing in standard was a very good choice IMO, why couldn't the game follow in the same footsteps? I've always thought that the game does a good job addressing different types of players while at the same time keeping a reputation as a ruthless game.

I would suggest reducing the death penalty or removing it just for the standard permanent league. This is where a casual would end up getting into high levels with his char anyway, no?
sorry that your pc isn't capable of handling effects of 2 man - parties.
that's no reason to change the gameplay for all the remaining players though.

i always advocated for ggg to adjust the amount of effects according to the amount of players in a area but that wouldn't really help you if you're just 2 players.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
lol @ everyone telling him to get a new PC. This is a matter of poor optimization and likely not related to subpar hardware. Complaints about ingame performance, as far as I've seen, are not uncommon.

I'll have to second Slicer's suggestions. It's hard to turn up the suck knob when your rig should be more than capable, but I'd rather do that than stop playing altogether.
bald

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info