MYTH: You need trading to play this game!

With legacy league closing in to 3 months, I decided to share my view when it comes to the debate that "we need trading to play this game".

The short answer is: You need trading to play this game is a myth!

TLDR: What you really need to do is to just play the game and have lots of stash space.

With the introduction of SSF in 2.6, I decided to try it out to see how far I can push and I would say it is in every possible way to play without trading and obtain 36 challenges. It is all about perseverance.

And the following are evidences to support my claim:
"
Berserker

Slayer

Raider

Honourable Mentions
There are way more drops than what I listed here, many doubles too but for a sneak preview:

Legacy Drops

I would say the initial 3 weeks were a real PITA as I started off as a Slayer and went for cyclone without any great items so to speak. As my slayer gets capped out at T11 maps, I have to switch to flameblast totem build in order to progress into T14. I pretty much switched between several builds in the first 3 weeks and grinding the hell out, praying for gears I need to complete a build to drop.

What did I learn from this SSF league?
"
Start off a new league (especially SSF) with a spell based build that don't rely on any specific item in order to progress.

Builds that rely on items that support target farming (killing specific boss for the drops, or collecting cards) is better.

Is it possible to clear 36 challenges in SSF?
"
Yes. I completed my 36 challenges by playing solely in SSF.

Do you need trading to play the game?
"
No. You don't need trading to play the game. You just need lots of inventory space (stash tabs) and just hang in there. Do not fear and be put off by the fact that you need to start a new character in order to progress.

Is it possible to get 6L without trading?
"
Yes. It is in every way possible. Personally I attempt 6L when I have 300 fusing in stock and I stop once I used them up.

In all desperation, you can also rely on Vorici by storing up on
Spoiler
Last edited by kira1414 on Jul 25, 2017, 9:47:46 PM
Last bumped on Jun 1, 2017, 11:17:35 AM
"
kira1414 wrote:
TLDR: What you really need to do is to just play the game and have lots of stash space.

lol
Like a boss. I always knew this. I mean after 3 years Ive found one of everything. But 3 years not 3 months. Trade is easy mode for casuals like me.
Git R Dun!
I believe you, lol. It's just the time investment that's prohibitive to most people.
I need trading to have fun playing the game, it's different for everybody. I'll try some HCSSF in the beta, hope I'll make it to act 10, or maybe 6.
Second-class poe gamer
Of course it's doable. You just need lots of free time and a ton of stash tabs. I had 40-ish with an essence tab, a div card tab and a currency tab before I started in the SSF league, in the course of the league I had to buy 4-5 quad tabs and about 12 new premium tabs.

So, SSF in a way is an actual pay-to-win mode.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Please just post the playtime on all those characters you used. It will show us what is needed along the things you mentioned in OP.
Spreading salt since 2006
Can you beat Dark Souls without leveling and upgrading your items? Yes you can.
Can you beat Dark Souls with a rock band controller? Yes you can.

So hey everyone, it is a MYTH that you need to level up and use an xbox controller to play dark souls!!

There are a ton more examples, but what I mean is - just because you can, doesn't make it ok. Like gimping yourself? Sure, no problem, this game is open to various play styles, do whatever. Just don't forget that by playing ssf, you are artificially slowing your progress down. The developers stated on numerous occasions that the game was balanced around trading and designed with traiding in mind.

I mean, this league I tried SSF, reached early maps with an srs necro rather easily (for obvious reasons), then got bored with farming atlas and migrated. So not even horrible item RNG screwed me over (because SRS necro barely needs anything), but map RNG which I could in no way bypass. Zana would not spawn, and I was stuck running the same low level crap over and over again (and no, 3 map formula did not help). At that point, it was just inhibiting my ability to get to whatever content this game has, pointlessly slowing my game progress down.
Last edited by MECHanokl on May 27, 2017, 4:06:34 AM
I take away from this that you have found 16 Keys while I didn't find any (/played 30 days in legacy). tsssssss
"
kuddman wrote:
I take away from this that you have found 16 Keys while I didn't find any (/played 30 days in legacy). tsssssss

This information means nothing.

Number of maps cleared is much more telling, and I suspect this guy has cleared at least 20 times more maps than you.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info