Client breaks / crashes Windows explorer

The problem I'm experiencing is not new to me, but before last patch I had working workaround, which, unfortunately, does not work anymore.

My setup:
CPU: Core i7
GPU: AMD Fury Nano (drivers are 2 months old)
Game: I'm using DX11 client, but this is happening on all 3 variants of client. I'm using Steam client.

What used to happen (basically ever since DX11 client was released):
When I launched game in fullscreen, the client began to "flicker" after short while, the game window periodically lose focus and Windows task bar become visible. Sometime it went far enough that it broke "Aero" (I'm not sure how MS calls the shell now, but I lost all the eye candy and Windows reverted back to XP mode, I had to restart the PC to fix this).
Last few months my workaround was to switch client to windowed mode (border less as the standard windowed client is unable to properly rescale to screen size when I click Maximize button (if use maximize on standard window, I'm not able to see XP bar)). This helped to the extent that I still saw the window to lose focus from time to time, but no more breakage of Windows shell. After few patches even the occasional focus loss was gone.

What happens now:
Now, after last patch I'm basically unable to play the game, this started to happen again and workaround does not help anymore. This time, my windows shell does not revert back to XP mode, but after few minutes it starts to crash and reload in rapid succession (not sure, if it actually crashes, but it seems to reload in loop (I see my status bar icons to keep reloading all the time and I have to reboot to fix this)).
Last edited by peetrscz on May 25, 2017, 6:02:41 AM
Last bumped on May 25, 2017, 6:02:24 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info