If its considered psychopathic to enjoy the suffering of others ...

Then does 'enjoying other people's salty tears' make such a person psychopathic?
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last bumped on May 30, 2017, 6:54:31 AM
That's not psychopathic.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
That's not psychopathic.

Well youre right ...

And now I find myself on a mission to find the actual word that means what I meant.

And it turns out that all I meant was Malice.

You are all malicious people!
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on May 22, 2017, 5:09:37 PM
"
bhavv wrote:
Then does 'enjoying other people's salty tears' make such a person psychopathic?

While it may or may not indicate psychopathy, it does indicate some form of personality disorder.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
And yes, people turn malicious online. Zero repercussion, and usually little to gain being polite or friendly.

Additionally, I think, the limited format of communications, void of otherwise present social cues simply gives the empathic centre of the brain a lot less to work with.

It's concievably easier, at least if your sensitivity is shit, to be nasty to a block of text wich cannot respond to you with body language, facial expressions, tone of voice etc.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
A REAL psychopath is someone that doesn't believe other people are "real" like they are. They don't feel sorry for them, anymore than I would for a fictional character. The term psychopath has been abused WAY too much.
Censored.
Yep. But I oversimplified on purpose. Nowadays anyone with an anti social personality disorder is lumped in there. DSM 5 is controversial for a reason (not that I'm an expert).
Censored.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:
A REAL psychopath is someone that doesn't believe other people are "real" like they are. They don't feel sorry for them, anymore than I would for a fictional character. The term psychopath has been abused WAY too much.

Spectacularly oversimplified. Ironically your last sentence is why.

Arrogance and narcistic behaviour, indicates a potential psychosis.
Otherwise it just might be neurotic.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Upandatem wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
And yes, people turn malicious online. Zero repercussion, and usually little to gain being polite or friendly.

Additionally, I think, the limited format of communications, void of otherwise present social cues simply gives the empathic centre of the brain a lot less to work with.

It's concievably easier, at least if your sensitivity is shit, to be nasty to a block of text wich cannot respond to you with body language, facial expressions, tone of voice etc.

Very true. Unless you allow this to be real, which a lot of us first gen net users did. That gave some of us a whole different sort of power. I do not doubt I behaved psychopathically once I realised how seriously some people treated the net and how easily I could manipulate that.

But then it started to bounce back and that was a blessing in disguise. That stopped me dead in my tracks. I mean, I was only late teens at this point so the revelation that I was affecting real lives half a world away was...strangely therapeutic. Growing pains, I guess.

And that was all text on a screen, until it wasn't.

I remember the first time someone I knew only from a chatroom died. God, did I ever torment that woman. She gave back, but never at the same level. Chatrooms were just frenemy playgrounds, really. Anyway, turns out she actually was quite obese. Dead at 39. Heart failure. She loved horses, according to the obit.

Hard to go back to "just words on a screen" from that. Whoever is reading this has feelings. I might not always be nice on here. Sometimes I'm really mean. But contrary to what diablofdb once said, I do not lack empathy. Not in real life, not on here.

I remember what I was like when I did. It was all so sickeningly easy.

If we accept that psychopathy is a real thing, a mixture of nature and nurture, I'd say that the internet as a social space attracts those whose nature leans towards psychopathy and nurtures those qualities. Those urges we have to shut someone down on here. The whole I'd punch you irl if I could sentiment. These are the urges real psychopaths fight every day. Or don't fight, as the case may be.

From what I've read, and I'm far from done, the only way to integrate a full blown psychopath into society is to teach them that resisting those urges will be more rewarding in the long run. Some, maybe many, learn this for themselves as they grow.

And that's why it's so god-damn hard to spot a real one.

But we've all met one. For sure. Especially as kids.

Never considered you to be mean, just fucking weird. 26198 Posts that you have, raises eyebrows...

"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Can psychopaths enjoy the happiness of others? Maybe in a sort of calculated way?

I can only imagine life as being overly complex and boring as a result of that complexity if you don't have that capability.

It's sort of sad that society pushes this condition on people in order to take choices they wish to avoid themselves. Necessity invokes it.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info