Anyone else look at the game in this manner?

I love this game and here are the reasons why:
A: The permanence of standard. I am much more likely to invest multiple years of time and financial support for a game that I can come back to my same characters in standard league. At the end of open beta it was announced that standard would never be wiped.
B: Chase Items. I am a creature of habit and I play this game to grind for gear(the name GGG imply much?) Standard league allows for LEGACY items. I want a goal that is very hard if not impossible to reach. I want my time spent to mean something. Anyone else never touched a league in 3+years and never been bored with the game? Don't get me wrong I've taken breaks, but I'm always back. What's your take?
I agree with you about what you call the "chase items", what I call the grail... but don't see why that should exclude league play. I play leagues, and keep standard as a score card. I've played a bit there, but not in months.
I didn't get into leagues in the beginning too much, but now I am hooked.
I occasionally go back to Standard to play a bit but (as Shags noted above) I haven't been back in months.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
I'm not saying league is boring or anything, I've just never needed a reason to leave standard. I mention leagues to highlight the fact that those who hate legacy items have options, as opposed to everyone having to conform to one way only. I have also put a considerable amount of no-lifer level of time into the game and still find challenges.
"
I'm not saying league is boring or anything, I've just never needed a reason to leave standard. I mention leagues to highlight the fact that those who hate legacy items have options, as opposed to everyone having to conform to one way only. I have also put a considerable amount of no-lifer level of time into the game and still find challenges.

I mean, I think that's why Standard is a thing and some people play it regularly, albeit seemingly a smaller and smaller minority of the overall player base.

However I think the reason Standard is less popular is because it's less rewarding per hour played than leagues are, particularly for the first month or so of any given league. Most of the 'reach' items in Legacy (relic Vinktar, Headhunter, etc) could be purchases for under 100 exalts, and playing a lot / actively in Legacy, making 100 exalts in a month is totally do-able.

If you started a fresh account on Standard, it would be much harder to actually purchase any 'reach' items there, because the reach items are all mirrored gear - So not only do you need a mirror + 50 exalts or whatever mirror fees are charged these days, it's also much harder to make the currency because many of the more profitable activities are saturated by long term players (crafting, farming Shaper/Guardians/Uber Atziri, currency flipping, etc) and the regular trade market of selling random drops is much less active.

I can't say I've really ever played standard :/
I really enjoy standard too, the only thing wich annoys me is the obvious lack of population when you compare with leagues.
📜My hideout thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2542497
I enjoy playing standard just as well as the occasional temp league. Standard is more relaxing, nice in the summer months when I don't really want to commit to endless grinding in a temp league. A nice way to waste the currency hoarded in temp leagues. ;)

P.S. Refreshing to see a thread these days in GD that is not about lambasting GGG for breaking someone's beloved toys. ;)
Last edited by tomay on May 22, 2017, 2:31:02 PM
honestly I only play leagues mainly because of the fact that HC perm league is just super dead

and SC bores be to death because I cant stand immortality in a game like this.
I dont see any any key!
I would love to try hardcore but unfortunately the game doesn't seem stable enough (especially since dx11) to commit. I also have been known to play while on the booze 😎 so hc is a bad choice there as well haha. But in all seriousness I've had 3 diff pc builds in the last 4 years and while I experience almost no graphical lag anymore I experience far more disconnect on Portal enter/exit and random full party dc's so hardcore seems really, well, hardcore.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info