Why no in-game auction house?

Forgive me If it's a frequent answered question. But I would like to know why there is no AH in this game, I think it would be helpfuf. This does not mean poe.trade is not goood though.

Thanks in advance!
Last bumped on May 22, 2017, 9:12:43 PM
GGG knows better. Any form of "quick trade" would take too much of the fun out of the game and turn it into a job.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
GGG knows better. Any form of "quick trade" would take too much of the fun out of the game and turn it into a job.
Buying something off of Poe.trade sometimes feels like a job, if anything ..
"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

True... and it would only get worse with an AH.
"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

i've found it quite easy...far easier than people like to make out.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
BKssian wrote:
Forgive me If it's a frequent answered question. But I would like to know why there is no AH in this game, I think it would be helpfuf. This does not mean poe.trade is not goood though.

Thanks in advance!

There's a Blizzard FAQ on why they removed the AH from D3. I won't post the link here, but Google can find it for you. You might want to give it a read, since it addresses the inherent flaws in facilitating trade in an ARPG environment.

ARPGs are supposed to be loot hunts. They're (relatively static) challenge curves that provide incremental rewards, allowing individual players to proceed along the curve to greater challenges (and the cycle repeats until you reach the end of the designed curve). If you facilitate inter-player trading to too great a degree, you undermine that.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Trade in this game is very confusing to me.. because outside of trade chat/message board/and maybe forums.. GGG haven't really done much for trading. It has really been community driven through various tools over time.

I mean poe.trade is an AH, just a slighty worse version of it. I don't generally find it that bad, but there are times where you can spend quite a large amount of time messaging people for nothing. I know GGG has been against an AH but they kind of don't mind it since they allowed it to be part of a premium stash tab.

I kind of get the feeling the game grew faster then they could keep up with it and poe.trade isn't really what they wanted.. but since its so ingrained into the community, then its hard to really work on something with trade. Anything they design has to be a better system or everyone will just continue with poe.trade... even if it isn't better, they have to block poe.trade from working so ppl have to use an in game one, that probably wouldn't sit well with the community. So honestly I'm not sure what they can do about this, which probably why we don't hear much from this.
Good Thread!

kappa
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

True... and it would only get worse with an AH.

How? It would be an instant thing, removing the really shitty part of the whole process (the player).
"
Unquietheart wrote:
"
BKssian wrote:

Thanks in advance!

There's a Blizzard FAQ on why they removed the AH from D3. I won't post the link here, but Google can find it for you. You might want to give it a read, since it addresses the inherent flaws in facilitating trade in an ARPG environment.

ARPGs are supposed to be loot hunts. They're (relatively static) challenge curves that provide incremental rewards, allowing individual players to proceed along the curve to greater challenges (and the cycle repeats until you reach the end of the designed curve). If you facilitate inter-player trading to too great a degree, you undermine that.

That is pretty ironic considering you can have max level and max gear in like 24 hours of play time in D3.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info