Thought I would hate SSF... Ended up enjoying it!

"
seanxjohnson wrote:

That's unfortunately, one of the things I look for in a game is a constantly evolving challenge. The ES changes are no different. I welcome them and the inevitable changes that come post beta/feedback. If you're looking for a challenge-less game there are plenty of them out there!

What is the challenge in a game that forces u to remake your char or farm new gear when they decide to screw things? To level a new build or farm gear? Is that really a challenge to you?

I think u were only trying to be rude. If not u just dont know what challenge is. Pff...

I love TheoryCrafting and going on crazy builds, to try make then work on end game, that is my challenge on this game. But that on SSF mode, would be impossible, as meta builds are already limited by range drops, and now those builds can just be obliterated every 2 months if GGG cant decide what the hell they are doing to the game and have an more than 2 month stable game.

"
HoockBr wrote:
"
seanxjohnson wrote:

That's unfortunately, one of the things I look for in a game is a constantly evolving challenge. The ES changes are no different. I welcome them and the inevitable changes that come post beta/feedback. If you're looking for a challenge-less game there are plenty of them out there!

What is the challenge in a game that forces u to remake your char or farm new gear when they decide to screw things? To level a new build or farm gear? Is that really a challenge to you?

I think u were only trying to be rude. If not u just dont know what challenge is. Pff...

I love TheoryCrafting and going on crazy builds, to try make then work on end game, that is my challenge on this game. But that on SSF mode, would be impossible, as meta builds are already limited by range drops, and now those builds can just be obliterated every 2 months if GGG cant decide what the hell they are doing to the game and have an more than 2 month stable game.

Yes I consider trying new builds, gearing them, and pushing them to lvl 90 + getting them to end game the challenge for this game. Why is end game impossible in SSF? What content can't be done?
This thread reminds me my ex. Thought i would hate her...Ended up enjoying it!
Neden yaşıyorsun?
"
seanxjohnson wrote:

Yes I consider trying new builds, gearing them, and pushing them to lvl 90 + getting them to end game the challenge for this game. Why is end game impossible in SSF? What content can't be done?

Not impossible, my meta is not to finish the game, or do all content. I have fun trying my new builds, and have not much time for that as i have a kid, standart is a mess and not an option, leagues are fun, but almost never got my builds on an high end gear that i wanted to get before league ends.

So SSF was a shinning light that solved all of that for me, with time invested i could get everything i wanted, no needing for rush to get currency or gear or having to play poe.trade, and having real fun with almost every drop.

Problem is, like everyone that invests too much on a build in this game, changes come and lots of mechanics get destroyed, leaving nothing to keep on the build u were doing. And GGG does that much changes a lot, ok is for the balance i understand, but the way they do, and the frequency just leaves nothing on the ground, and we have to start from zero.

They announced they will kill many of my builds i was doing or were going try on sff, and i have no clue what will stay safe. So i just dont feel like its good to invest my time on anything on this game, before 3.0. So no gameplay till there.

As a theorycrafter , i take every point on consideration to make a build to work. And i really dont like to reset all tree on a char, i take even the character name(that cant be changed) as unique to the build. Guess i have to wait anyway.
"
HoockBr wrote:

Item chase is the main motivation of any ARPG, and it is no different in PoE. If your item progress resets, or you have new items you need to chase, guess what? The game just gained longevity.

And thats why many people are playing SSF, for the added longevity. SSF artificially extends the time you need to get a build together, or forces you to play new builds you'd never play otherwise, because you coincidentially got the gear together.

It is like hardcore, in that it artificially resets the progress you make and thus extends the shelf-life you'd have with a character. More so with HC SSF.

If you are limited in time and motivation to really dive into SSF, then there is no reason at all to do it. Or if your motivation for starting a character is to play a certain build, and not let RNG dictate what you play, even more so. SSF is not a all size fits all gamemode, it is just another choice. If you enjoy it or not is dictated by your mindset and time you can spend.

"
HoockBr wrote:

The current game meta has been going on for at least 4 leagues with absolutely minimal changes. It is high time we get a shift. People dont seem to understand, that if the only thing GGG did was push out new content, and their players were left to their own devices, they'd play shaped strands for the next 4 leagues with the same exact build.

People would actually quit in that case. Now we get a couple of whines, but in the end, people are going to play new builds and experience the game in a slightly different way.
I personally hope it doesnt just stop there, and they are going to add new maps and refurbish some of the bad ones so players actually dont feel obligated to run that one map for all of eternity. Otherwise, i actually think that PoE's future is threatened.

But ES changes? Laughable. That is only going to be good for the game.
I liked it.

Was happy with drops as in game is totally doable to end game SSF but I already knew that. I've found one of everything in this game at one time or another.

Wish skill tree was wide open due to nature of that you dont plan build like trade game but build on what you find. And that always in flux. I spent like 200 regrets on one guy. Changed from caster to attacker (big change like 90 regrets). Then Passives to sword to axe and back to sword and back to axe. All based on finds. Still couldnt afford to do my bandits.

If you play a lot this is no problem you just reroll if you find something sweet. But that doesnt work if you only want to take one character to end game.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 21, 2017, 4:40:55 PM
So, just like sex then.^^
"
HoockBr wrote:
"
seanxjohnson wrote:

Well yes.

Playing a finished build with no gear needing to be replaced is exactly the opposite of challenging.

It's boring as hell.
"
sarahaustin wrote:
So, just like sex then.^^

Sarah... always classy.

:3

Interesting to hear other people's thoughts. On the topic of "gear getting destroyed due to balance changes"... It is the main reason I play leagues. I enjoy gear hunting and not gear perfecting.

This SSF char is something I can keep around to play on the side between leagues which is nice. I kinda see it as opposite where SSF allows you to grow and change your char over time. The idea that I was just farming lakes for alts and transmutes so I could roll flasks made me chuckle.

It's a different way of playing. Balance changes will always happen...nullifying one set of gear or another, but the fun of the game will still hopefully hold strong.

:)

All my alchs at the moment are going on es gear to stash away for future as for me hc ssf is probably going to be a perma thing rather than just temp leagues.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on May 22, 2017, 12:07:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info