Help me to buy a PC. Need advice.

Hi ppl of PoE.

So I asked a company from my country for a PC gamer. The budget I told the company was 800 USD with led monitor, etc included. I'm not a wealthy person (actually this is a borrow) so this is a very important buy for me so I wanted to ask for advice before I buy. They sent me this offer:

- Intel Pentium G4560 Kaby Lake (2 cores / 4 threads - 3.5Ghz)
- Mother: MSI H110M Pro VH
- Memory: 8gb ddr4 Crucial
- Hard Disk: 1TB sata III
- Graphic: Zotac GeForce GTX1050 2gb gddr5
- Cougar STE500 (not sure what this is. Power supply?)
- Cougar MX200 (not sure what this is. Cabinet?)

Cost: US$ 580

Plus monitor + mouse + keyboard + Headphones = US$ 800

What do you think about this PC for this price? Is it worth it? Will it last for years? Can it really run all today-games in full HD? (it's what they told me). I did some research and this G4560 is a little less than i3 in power but is cheaper and it consumes less energy and has better temperature (supposedly).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by FedeS on May 26, 2017, 10:42:54 AM
Last bumped on Sep 6, 2017, 10:10:43 PM
This is a pretty good website to compare PC components.

http://www.logicalincrements.com

Find each part and where they fall on the poor to excellent scale on the left.
Your CPU is entry level. I didn't see several things on the list so those would be suspect to me.

A good approach is to fine the parts you want and see who will build it for you for a total price of $800.

You need to the price they are charging you for each item and the labor cost to put them together. Don't for get to include an operating system. Typically they cost something. You should include some anti virus protection too.

That site has lots of good info.

I am not an expert, but what they proposed looks to be filled with very low end and probably obsolete parts that will not give you a very good gaming experience.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Last edited by ChanBalam on May 19, 2017, 2:17:33 AM
Upon further research, the two Cougar products are indeed power supply and case (cabinet) and cost about $50 each.

The MSI H110 M pro is a low end MB priced at about $65 in the US.

The GTX 1050 is a a low end $100 graphics card

The CPU is about $70 and rated as entry level.

So far with your case, power supply, MB, CPU and graphics you are at about $350 in the US for the parts.

The total price of $800 is looking to be appropriate for what you are getting, but what you would be getting is pretty weak as a gaming build.
US Mountain Time Zone
Thanks you both for your answers. After analyzing some other offers I end with this:

Intel Core I3 7100 Kaby Lake
Mother: MSI H110M Pro VH
Memory: 8gb ddr4 Crucial
Hard Disk: 1TB sata III
Power supply: EVGA 500B
Cabinet Cougar MX200
Geforce GTX1050ti 4Gb DDR5

Total: $719

The differences with the previous offer is the intel processor, the power supply and the graphic card.

Is this option a lot better or just a bit better for the difference of money?
I think that you made noticeable improvements. I would spend the remaining money on either upgrading the MB to the MSI B250 or to get the best monitor you can. By "best" I mean largest and highest resolution you can afford. That is what you will be looking at all the time. You didn't say what monitor they were including in the deal. A bad monitor will be terrible to look at.

While this version is better than the first, do not think that you are getting a "fabulous" gaming computer. You are not. I would expect that you will have to reduce the on screen graphics quality for some intensive games like POE.
US Mountain Time Zone
I do not recommend the i3 7100 over the Pentium G4560.

The G4560 is about 2/3 the price of the i3. They both have two cores, they both have hyperthreading, they both have the same amount of cache, they both use the same socket and their memory support appears to be identical. The i3 is marginally faster than the G4560. I don't believe the difference in speed, or things like AVX support, are worth the difference in price.

Later this year AMD will be launching Ryzen 3, which are rumoured to be quad-core CPUs for in-or-around i3 prices. If that's true, it should significantly disrupt the entry-level CPU market.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
ChanBalam wrote:
I think that you made noticeable improvements. I would spend the remaining money on either upgrading the MB to the MSI B250 or to get the best monitor you can. By "best" I mean largest and highest resolution you can afford. That is what you will be looking at all the time. You didn't say what monitor they were including in the deal. A bad monitor will be terrible to look at.

While this version is better than the first, do not think that you are getting a "fabulous" gaming computer. You are not. I would expect that you will have to reduce the on screen graphics quality for some intensive games like POE.

You are right, monitor is really important. But I always thought PoE was not a game with high requirements and that I would play in high with this PC. What about other mmorpgs?

"
Sarno wrote:
I do not recommend the i3 7100 over the Pentium G4560.

The G4560 is about 2/3 the price of the i3. They both have two cores, they both have hyperthreading, they both have the same amount of cache, they both use the same socket and their memory support appears to be identical. The i3 is marginally faster than the G4560. I don't believe the difference in speed, or things like AVX support, are worth the difference in price.

Later this year AMD will be launching Ryzen 3, which are rumoured to be quad-core CPUs for in-or-around i3 prices. If that's true, it should significantly disrupt the entry-level CPU market.

Indeed. I was comparing the 2 processors here: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i3-7100/3892vs3891

And the i3 is just a little better. I will definitely stick with the G4560.
Thanks.
The CPU specs are similar as you say for both single and multi threading with the i3 a bit faster, but when I checked pricing today the 4560 ran from $60 to $80 and the i3 from $115 to $125.

I like the ratings by Logical Increments (linked above) which rates the 4560 as an "entry level" item and the i3 as a better "good" item with "modest" and "fair" as the in between tiers. I think that given the low cost he is aiming for the $50 additional cost for the i3 would be worth it.
US Mountain Time Zone
This is so confusing :(
"
ChanBalam wrote:
I like the ratings by Logical Increments (linked above) which rates the 4560 as an "entry level" item and the i3 as a better "good" item with "modest" and "fair" as the in between tiers.

Those terms are incredibly arbitrary, and I've never even heard of that website before.

I'm sure that it's created with the best of intentions, but it seems to share the flaws observed in score in games reviews - if two different people from the same website score two similar games, the scores can be wildly different. At least with game reviews you can ignore the score and read what the reviewer experienced; what they liked and disliked, and why.

This LogicalIncrements site looks worse because it's 100% conclusion, 0% rationale. I've found some generic descriptions for each tier, but what I'd like to know is why a specific product is in a specific tier. Unless their mobile site is garbage, they don't appear to supply that information.

If you can't reproduce someone's steps to reaching a conclusion, that conclusion is meaningless. The website seems to be intended primarily for people who aren't knowledgeable on hardware, don't care to be, and are looking for an accessible rule of thumb. And I'm sure it's great for that. However what you are doing is asking us prioritise a stranger's vague tiers over benchmarks and specifications. I don't like that. Use LogicalInstruments as one tool in your toolkit if you must, but don't entirely depend on them - especially if all available evidence suggests that they're wrong.

"
FedeS wrote:
This is so confusing :(

If you aren't sure why you're spending extra, don't spend extra.

I'm open to someone explaining why the i3 is worth the difference in price, but thus far, nobody has.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info