You guys honestly have no idea what a difficult video game is ....

"
bhavv wrote:
Sorry but I cant think of a single other video game as unforgiving as this one.

He wrote that in another thread in reference to PoE less than 3 hours ago. True story. Smh.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on May 18, 2017, 3:04:56 AM
"
bhavv wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:
"
bhavv wrote:
Finding the game too tough? You can swap the difficulty to casual. You'll have a lot more fun!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CNoO7VEVD5c

Is that avadon 3?

No, Exile 2 latest remake.

They really use the same assets and skills for everything haha
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
faerwin wrote:
"
bhavv wrote:

No, Exile 2 latest remake.

They really use the same assets and skills for everything haha

its actually an avernum 2 remake (which is obviously an exile 2 remake)

all of jeff vogels games look similar, yet play similar AND different at once. its hard to explain. but Ive never found them too difficult. but then, I didnt play all of them.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
bhavv wrote:
Sorry but I cant think of a single other video game as unforgiving as this one.

He wrote that in another thread in reference to PoE less than 3 hours ago. True story. Smh.

Unforgiving =/= hard.

The only thing that really makes PoE hard is the stingy drops, and even more niggardly trade based requirement to git gud.

Games that you can play without having to trade to succeed are vastly more enjoyable, and as are all games where you actually have a reasonable chance of winning after learning the content, as opposed to just getting loloneshotted by a random boss spawn.

(One shotty bosses in Dungeonmans tend to be well hidden and pose an extremely high risk vs reward gamble. They have the option of being skipped but you also skip the chance at getting good gear).

And honestly, I dont get why you always feel the need to suck up to everything and anything that GGG decide to do. They could literally **** in a bag and send it send it your way, and it would be the best day ever in your life.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on May 18, 2017, 3:16:45 AM
"
bhavv wrote:
The only thing that really makes PoE hard is the stingy drops, and even more niggardly trade based requirement to git gud.

Games that you can play without having to trade to succeed are vastly more enjoyable

"Gud" players managed to get level 100 SSF in a matter of days this league. The days of being able to claim that trading is a requirement are over, it has been demonstrated to be a false statement. Try again?

"
And honestly, I dont get why you always feel the need to suck up to everything and anything that GGG decide to do. They could literally **** in a bag and send it send it your way, and it would be the best day ever in your life.

I complain about plenty of things, sometimes here on the forums and sometimes directly. I just don't complain about things that have been clearly proven to be incorrect.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on May 18, 2017, 3:23:45 AM
being unforgiving is definitely a subset of overall difficulty

unforgiving literally means not forgiving, ie pouncing on and not forgiving nearly every mistake you make, making the game more difficult. the more unforgiving the game is, the less leeway you have for mistakes. the most unforgiving games barely allow you one (ie, chess vs a grandmaster if we go to extremes).

but poe, especially in its current iteration, is extremely far from being an unforgiving game. you have to artificially gimp yourself while playing HC (solo self found, specific builds) for it to be unforgiving. ie, playing a mode where one mistake literally means you die and dont trade in a game about trading to have inferior gear so that mistake is able to manifest itself more often than not.
"
grepman wrote:
being unforgiving is definitely a subset of overall difficulty

unforgiving literally means not forgiving, ie pouncing on and not forgiving nearly every mistake you make, making the game more difficult. the more unforgiving the game is, the less leeway you have for mistakes. the most unforgiving games barely allow you one (ie, chess vs a grandmaster if we go to extremes).

but poe, especially in its current iteration, is extremely far from being an unforgiving game. you have to artificially gimp yourself while playing HC (solo self found, specific builds) for it to be unforgiving. ie, playing a mode where one mistake literally means you die and dont trade in a game about trading to have inferior gear so that mistake is able to manifest itself more often than not.

I disagree. Unforgiving to me means a game in which 'losing' or 'dying' mechanics are outdated, unfun or for whatever reasons unenjoyable as they are to me in PoE.

Lots of other games manage to provide a far more challenging experience, but without feeling as unenjoyable to lose in, mostly because losing in them makes you want to try and beat your previous best attempt.

Some other games I can think of that you may or may not have heard of include Terraria, Starforged, dungeon of the endless, darkest dungeon and many others.

On the other hand, death mechanics in PoE just overall feel unsatisfactory and distract from the actual enjoyment of the ARPG genre of killing stuff and finding loot. The trade reliance mechanic furthermore destroys the usual enjoyment of this genre which has always been finding or crafting your own gear, and farming for better gear.

Sure anyone can buy a shavs, but doing so completely nullifies the thrill of managing to find one yourself, and I cant think of a single other ARPG where you cant self find a unique or legendary item within however many years its been since PoE launched, cos Ive still not had a shavs / koams / astramentis or many other nice items drop in all that time.

Buying the items instead from other players 100% ruins the game for me. I would stop playing the minute I end up buying the items I want from other players because doing so would remove all of the potential enjoyment I would be able to get from an ARPG.

I have no idea why, or where the trade for items mechanic came into place from, as no other ARPG ever contained this mechanic, except I suppose in the case of lazy gamers who just wanted to get their gear instantly instead of actually playing the game for it, so as a result they decided to make most of the decent items virtually impossible to find on your own in order to reward lazy gameplay.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on May 18, 2017, 3:50:27 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:

"Gud" players managed to get level 100 SSF in a matter of days this league. The days of being able to claim that trading is a requirement are over, it has been demonstrated to be a false statement. Try again?

I complain about plenty of things, sometimes here on the forums and sometimes directly. I just don't complain about things that have been clearly proven to be incorrect.

Shaped Strand maps are so gud. Git gud with 1000 shaped strand maps.

Nothings been proven to be incorrect, just because two people have a differing opinion doesnt make either one of them right or wrong.

- PoE TOS.
Buttsect's
Last edited by totalbackline on May 18, 2017, 7:30:04 AM
Try out NetHack. Its dungeon type. Never finished :).
Last edited by Rexeos on May 18, 2017, 8:08:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info