In all seriousness, is 9k life as hard to get as 25k ES?

Getting 9K life is just as easy as getting 25K ES in reality.

The problem with that is how much damage are you going to have left over after the investment to reach such numbers? Chances are upon reaching such numbers your damage will be so bad you'll have to endure 3-5+ minute boss fights up to T4-5 maps and red tier maps would litteraly take over an hour each to even think about clearing. Thats the trick balancing enough life/ES while still being able to get adequate damage. With those kinda numbers in raw EHP you dont have room to get damage in there its all in on EHP.

Dont take my word for it though... simply go check out Dismanteltime.

He runs around with 16K Life on his build and it actually has enough damage to do T15 content... But it also takes him about 45 mins to over an hour to do a single map. Most people will get bored really quick playing on builds that slow.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Jun 6, 2017, 11:31:44 PM
"
Demonoz wrote:
He runs around with 16K Life on his build and it actually has enough damage to do T15 content... But it also takes him about 45 mins to over an hour to do a single map.

Pick one.

I am not a clearspeed fetishist, but even if i am doing SSF guardian maps (and thus id-ing every rare weapon and decent base in case i get lucky and a new "build" drops) it takes me around a quarter of an hour. Including the boss.

That said, i am not a huge fan of lifebuilds beeing gated behind a unique chest that also requires you to use a two handed weapon. That said, i suspect that if volatiles an reflect get changed the way i think they will, we'll see a much more varied way to actually tank things. 5k health evasion build might actually feel tankier than 9k life with no armor/evasion, because if there isnt any high unavoidable alpha to fear, build options open up.
"
VigilanteCat wrote:
So in light of the ES gutting, I decided to make a high life tank as best I could on a modest budget just to see how I would fare in preparation for 3.0. Here are my results so far:

TLDR: Pretty easy 9k life with Kaom's, Marauder class and the right build, going to be tough to do for most other builds/classes though

I ultimately landed on a Righteous Fire Juggernaut (obviously), and I'm sitting at 8.6k life at level 88 at the moment. Gear cost under 4ex total and most of that was on my belt and a Kaom's Heart. I'm also using 2x Kaom's Way rings for the regen and I'm still missing life% on a few jewels and T1 life on most slots, so my life total could be quite a bit higher.

So, while I'll likely hit 9k life pretty easily over the next few levels with only moderate overall investment, the damage at the moment is subpar vs. high level map bosses, and I went about as all-in on life as a character can go.

Obviously though, my character is an outlier that was built to be a high life tank for uber lab farming (which he excels at), and since RF scales with life, I didn't need much in the way of damage nodes. I imagine it would cost at least double or maybe triple what I spent to hit my HP numbers and still deal reasonable damage as an attack-based build...aaaannnd you basically need to be a Marauder lol.

Here's to hoping they add some life to the right side of the tree and buff the node values a bit so Kaom's doesn't feel so mandatory, and so maybe Rangers and Shadows can get close to those numbers too. *fingers crossed*

Just thought I'd share, thanks for reading!

Kaoms heart in not a fair comparison, since you lose a 6L. So you are either forced to play with a 2H weapon or use skills that dont require a 6L. ES does not have this limitation, so the fair comparison here is 25K ES vs 9K life WITHOUT KAOMS HEART, and then I would say yes, it is equally hard to achieve both without sacrificing alot of damage.
"
golan4840 wrote:
"
VigilanteCat wrote:
So in light of the ES gutting, I decided to make a high life tank as best I could on a modest budget just to see how I would fare in preparation for 3.0. Here are my results so far:

TLDR: Pretty easy 9k life with Kaom's, Marauder class and the right build, going to be tough to do for most other builds/classes though

I ultimately landed on a Righteous Fire Juggernaut (obviously), and I'm sitting at 8.6k life at level 88 at the moment. Gear cost under 4ex total and most of that was on my belt and a Kaom's Heart. I'm also using 2x Kaom's Way rings for the regen and I'm still missing life% on a few jewels and T1 life on most slots, so my life total could be quite a bit higher.

So, while I'll likely hit 9k life pretty easily over the next few levels with only moderate overall investment, the damage at the moment is subpar vs. high level map bosses, and I went about as all-in on life as a character can go.

Obviously though, my character is an outlier that was built to be a high life tank for uber lab farming (which he excels at), and since RF scales with life, I didn't need much in the way of damage nodes. I imagine it would cost at least double or maybe triple what I spent to hit my HP numbers and still deal reasonable damage as an attack-based build...aaaannnd you basically need to be a Marauder lol.

Here's to hoping they add some life to the right side of the tree and buff the node values a bit so Kaom's doesn't feel so mandatory, and so maybe Rangers and Shadows can get close to those numbers too. *fingers crossed*

Just thought I'd share, thanks for reading!

Kaoms heart in not a fair comparison, since you lose a 6L. So you are either forced to play with a 2H weapon or use skills that dont require a 6L. ES does not have this limitation, so the fair comparison here is 25K ES vs 9K life WITHOUT KAOMS HEART, and then I would say yes, it is equally hard to achieve both without sacrificing alot of damage.

Most ES build loses ammy slot for chayula or boots for skyfort or needs to get a long way to get stun imunity on tree and need to use Axium or a Immunity to frezze flask, ES build do not have ARMOR to mitigate physical dmg.

Life builds still have boots amulet slot free to your choice and dont need to get unwavering stance

So Kaoms its up to you get it or not you can reach 8k life without it. But ES builds do not have this option.

In my opnion the problem is the instant leech provided by vaal pact. This is a big issue on poe and diablo 3 has the same problem until Blizzard remove it from game in prior to Regen and LOH.

Regen and LOH should get a redesign on poe and inst leech completly removed from game.

Now if GGG rly nerf ES amount on gear and CI points on tree, this going kill a lot of LL and Regen ES builds.

Same to stupid insta kill mechanics like corpse explosion Volatile etc... this is a big issue for melee builds you cant block or evade them thats need a big review its not fun kill trash mobs and get insta death due corpse explosion especially when you playing on melee build since you cant avoid it and you need to be close to kill.
"
bhavv wrote:
Im sure I could manage that with just a belly on a juggernaught.

Pretty sure you can't, any life stacker gets way more life out of a kaoms than they get out of a belly and managing to get 9k life without absolutely crushing your damage is quite hard.

I'm not sure the direct comparisons even the important. its not exactly easy to get 25k ES no matter what GGG say, but it is very easy to get 12k ES and its really not easy to get a ranger above 6k without directly gimping yourself that is where the real trouble lies to me. You can basically get 10k ES from taking one ES cluster and nothing else whereas life you literally travel around taking every single node you can just to push past 6.
"
adghar wrote:
pretty damn difficult for ordinary players

So is 25k ES.
Yes i only managed to ever get over 9k life going full strenght iron will build with 2k strenght.
cluster trapper got bit over 6k
ele flicker 5,5k
nadoshot ranger almost 5k
RF chieftain got 10,5k

9k life is alot of life and pretty hard to reach without kaoms/belly without sacrificing something to get to all the lifenodes. id say the normal value of a level 80+ is around 5k but ofc it will differ alotr depending on build and how rich you are

got almost 7k on my main character (cyclone)

Set sail for epic fail

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info