life and ES changes - feedback

"
Emphasy wrote:
"
+1000 sid, although I would be amazed if GGG truly applied your 3 viable proposals starting with 3.0...

They won't. The same thing happened with 2.0. They nerfed many of the good defenses and it was a clusterfuck. However if you don't break this thing open at one point you are basically stuck with it.

The good thing is GGG usually breaks such defensive metas by taking that defense away. They could also first reduce the enemy damage and see afterwards how much defense players need, but this would result in an insanely easy game for quite some time, which is much more boring than a really challanging game.

Right now they have taken away some of the best defensive options and I still hope they take down instant leech in general. Because this actually opens up changes to enemies. They could make damage less spiky (and no Alt + F4 is no reason against it, because it allows you to avoid death, not to beat the encounter). Of course in 3.0 many of those follow up changes will be messy, so damage will be just as spiky and people will just die without instant leech and smaller buffers. But adjusting mob damage during a follow up patch within the 3.0 cycle is much more reasonable than removing instantleech during such a cycle.

Meh, if they had the vision (wanted to use @#%^*, but this will do also) to change instant leech to either work within the same limitations that leech already does, or simply convert it to LGoH, as VP is already limited to life only, things could improve a lot.

Defences like armour or evasion work only against a certain type of danger, so they already start on the underdog position comparing them to buffer, bonuses to max res, block/spell block and dodge/spell dodge.

They just have to scale better monster damage versus player EHP pools and mitigation mechanics. Normal monsters should feel dangerous too, and starting from magic packs up, you should pay attention to what you're fighting if you want to still be alive.

Hopefully, the sweet spot between damage and mitigation should be reach sooner than later...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

They just have to scale better monster damage versus player EHP pools and mitigation mechanics. Normal monsters should feel dangerous too, and starting from magic packs up, you should pay attention to what you're fighting if you want to still be alive.

Hopefully, the sweet spot between damage and mitigation should be reach sooner than later...

To be dangerous, enemies shouldnt die offscreen in 0.2 seconds, in first place. So either player's damage should be greatly reduced, or enemy's HP greatly buffed.
Because when you play a build that deal far less damage than "meta", you suddenly notice that many enemies can actually kill you with few hits, of you allows them to.

ATM, only enemies that do some "on death" shit, are dangerous in "ranged clearspeed meta" (goliaphs, volatiles, etc)
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on May 28, 2017, 11:52:23 AM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

To be dangerous, enemies shouldnt die offscreen in 0.2 seconds, in first place. So either player's damage should be greatly reduced, or enemy's HP greatly buffed.
Because when you play a build that deal far less damage than "meta", you suddenly notice that many enemies can actually kill you with few hits, of you allows them to.

ATM, only enemies that do some "on death" shit, are dangerous in "ranged clearspeed meta" (goliaphs, volatiles, etc)

Well, I never played meta, but you know that something is off regarding balance when my main Juggernaut has in a 4L, a Lightning Strike linked with Innervate and kills quite easily tier 15 normal monsters with it without serious effort, not that I complain, but those that deal >10 times my damage just laugh at them while clearing a few screens at time.

And I always expected that projectile damage will become radius dependant, and further away from your character it will have less impact, so the offscreen potential is toned down for real.

Until then, all the AoE adjustments are a drop in the ocean, as those still kept melee skills feel subpar while ranged skills rule - and I have nothing against any options, as long the playing field stays equal for everyone...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on May 28, 2017, 12:45:38 PM
"
Fruz wrote:

"

Also for over 6.5k you need 200%+ life + Belly + over 80 life in each slot which is far from not needing BiS gear.

My frostblade Ranger has 6k life with 3 gear pieces without life roll, no belly, 200 str total ( so not much from gear ).
And the other pieces don't have godlike rolls either.

So no, you don't need all of that to reach 6500 life, you don't need over 80 life in each slot ( you cannot get 80 life on jewelerry from life roll only anyway ), for 7k ... maybe though.

My frostblades ranger has 6,930 life at lvl95 with a lightning coil on and a tree that goes from duelist to shadow, you absolutely dont need a belly.

Has it got t1 life on every other slot? No, got high life though. Life currently is a single prefix, since when does having 1 good prefix on your gear make it BiS gear? Its so simple to get t1/2 life on every rare, you can achieve that part of it for like 1 alch per item. If you want a bunch of fancy stuff on top of that like t1/2 flat defense and % defense with 2 or 3 good suffixes then sure, you pay, thats biS gear.

I think belly is shit i would never wear that armour on a properly geared character.
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Meh, if they had the vision (wanted to use @#%^*, but this will do also) to change instant leech to either work within the same limitations that leech already does, or simply convert it to LGoH, as VP is already limited to life only, things could improve a lot.

You realize that such limitations would make it .... not instant ?

"

Defences like armour or evasion work only against a certain type of danger, so they already start on the underdog position comparing them to buffer, bonuses to max res, block/spell block and dodge/spell dodge.

That is not true, if you have a big bugger, adding mitigation layers will scale well and actually be better than just adding a little bit of buffer.
However, if you can just obliterate and instant leech everything, it does not really matter anymore.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Pretty much.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
[...]

I would not go as far as saying that it's shit, but it's iverestimated imho.
It's really nice to start mapping though.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

You realize that such limitations would make it .... not instant ?

"

That is not true, if you have a big bugger, adding mitigation layers will scale well and actually be better than just adding a little bit of buffer.
However, if you can just obliterate and instant leech everything, it does not really matter anymore.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Pretty much.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
[...]

I would not go as far as saying that it's shit, but it's iverestimated imho.
It's really nice to start mapping though.

Capping VP to leech 20%/25% of your life pool per hit (if no further investments in +max leech rate) even with absurd damage should have been there from the start. It is instant, but not broken.

And LGoH was always instant.

Actually it depends regarding the amount of buffer versus the amount of mitigation - about 1.4K HP was a lot better than 10% block + 5K armour in my case, but there is a sweet spot where an amount of buffer = an amount of mitigation mechanics, you just have to find it.

PS: I never understood the appeal of Belly (except for VP life sponges maybe), although it might have been nice for quirky builds relying on life potions too...

well.. 25% HP per hit instantly IS BROKEN. because we do like 3-4 hits a second ('bad builds') up to 10 for builds invested into cast/attack speed

LGoH is instant because it can give you like ~100HP per hit (attacks only! and we all know that most cheeze builds are spells anyway) with serious investment (jewels, jewelry, other items + LGoH support)

it is the combination of %HP scaling and 'instant' that breaks the system. pretty much noone uses LGoH (well, i do with Thief's Torment and LGoH and some pieces - just to see if it is viable with NGmahu's Flame. even this setup is 'meh' at best) except maybe dual wielding claws - because endgame content is OVERtuned with VP, double-dip, meta, ES in mind. not some pesky non-meta builds

Belly? why is it popular? maybe because it grants like 8-10 passive nodes and allows life builds to enjoy the passive tree freedom ES builds enjoy? you no longer need to go CRIT + META to get good dps AND survivability. it is true tho that getting end-game gear setup + proper chest can diminish its value. but as a starter chest? there is no better. not to mention that it allows for 0 stress life build leveling

it might not be the best end-game chest but for leveling up until ~80 when the build matures these 8-10 free life nodes DO make a difference

been playing my standard characters lately. non-crit life builds that are not (ab)using some kind of meta scaling will still suck - these hybrid rolls mean jack sh. in reality (isnt it 150 flat life for a best case scenario: no uniques + shield + no double %AR/+AR rolls or chests/shields - that translates to around 400-500 more resulting life. will that change much? not likely in my opinion)

whats more - it will further limit the number of uniques life builds can use

(note: this DOES NOT apply to endgame-decked, meta-build using builds. these builds deal so much damage that they can spend excess points on life and defences. something more non-meta is terribad)
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Capping VP to leech 20%/25% of your life pool per hit (if no further investments in +max leech rate) even with absurd damage should have been there from the start. It is instant, but not broken.

Lol, 20%? That's entirely broken, by a very wide margin, especially when it's not hard to hit 5-10 times per second even against a single target.

Default life leech is capped at a rate of 2% over the course of a second, per hit; if VP were made to be 'capped' in such a manner, the cap shouldn't be much more than that 2% either (regardless of life leeched per second and max leech rate mods). THAT could be considered instant-but-not-broken... you'd effectively get a workaround to max leech rate, at the cost of not being able to use life leeched per second mods and life regen. Reasonably fair trade, though even restrained to that extent there could easily still be some abuse potential with the same old buffer+vp tactics (like using rapid-hit AoE + Southbound + Worm Flasks to get massive hits per second).
Last edited by Shppy on May 29, 2017, 2:23:17 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:
well.. 25% HP per hit instantly IS BROKEN. because we do like 3-4 hits a second ('bad builds') up to 10 for builds invested into cast/attack speed

LGoH is instant because it can give you like ~100HP per hit (attacks only! and we all know that most cheeze builds are spells anyway) with serious investment (jewels, jewelry, other items + LGoH support)

it is the combination of %HP scaling and 'instant' that breaks the system. pretty much noone uses LGoH (well, i do with Thief's Torment and LGoH and some pieces - just to see if it is viable with NGmahu's Flame. even this setup is 'meh' at best) except maybe dual wielding claws - because endgame content is OVERtuned with VP, double-dip, meta, ES in mind. not some pesky non-meta builds

Belly? why is it popular? maybe because it grants like 8-10 passive nodes and allows life builds to enjoy the passive tree freedom ES builds enjoy? you no longer need to go CRIT + META to get good dps AND survivability. it is true tho that getting end-game gear setup + proper chest can diminish its value. but as a starter chest? there is no better. not to mention that it allows for 0 stress life build leveling

it might not be the best end-game chest but for leveling up until ~80 when the build matures these 8-10 free life nodes DO make a difference

been playing my standard characters lately. non-crit life builds that are not (ab)using some kind of meta scaling will still suck - these hybrid rolls mean jack sh. in reality (isnt it 150 flat life for a best case scenario: no uniques + shield + no double %AR/+AR rolls or chests/shields - that translates to around 400-500 more resulting life. will that change much? not likely in my opinion)

whats more - it will further limit the number of uniques life builds can use

(note: this DOES NOT apply to endgame-decked, meta-build using builds. these builds deal so much damage that they can spend excess points on life and defences. something more non-meta is terribad)

People tend to forget that when you're pushing ladder early on, the Belly of the Beast is a superior chest to pretty much everything outside of an extremely well rolled tier 1 chest with good defense/res on it. Sure, something with tier 1 life/tier 1 defense is better, but good luck affording that within the first 2-3 weeks of the league.
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

What about with high attack speed and damage ?
Let's assume that you get 20% of your life instantly for every hit ( if you hit hard enough ).
If we say 6 attacks per seconds, you can get 150% of your life as 6 instant hits, per second.

And if you are a very slow attack-speed based builds, you're screwed.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info