To those who play/played D3 and don't like it; why?

I happily missed the auction house. :)

Compared to ANY other game I have played in this genre both earlier Diablos, this one, duh, TQ, GD, Dungeon Siege, Sacred, I can't remember more but I feel I'm missing something, it is EASY game. D3 is for casuals for real.

I've only played story mode once so I'm not sick of it yet. I have to say that after PoE it IS rather nice to not have to play it if you don't want to with every character. I think 3.0 will fix this for me. There is no comparison between this game and that one. Let me make that clear. But I can see someone that doesn't have any time or brains playing that. And no, I'm not being an elitist but this game is hard that game is not.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on May 17, 2017, 7:54:40 PM
Yes, that is a very good and accurate analogy.
Censored.
It has a few problems, and I've definitely put a ton of hours into D3, but have switched full-time to PoE.

1) Gear drops are far too plentiful. As a strictly HC player in both games, dying in D3 means absolutely nothing. You can re-level to max in 20 minutes, you will have a 2nd and 3rd set of gear waiting for you as well. Not only that, but D3 also has near-death passives that really trivialize the game for hardcore players (fight until your passive goes off, and then wait for its cooldown). Because of these being in the game, the game is just far too forgiving for hardcore.

2) Blizzard's idea of balance is basically just admitting that it will never be balanced, and in that train of thought, forever buffing other stuff in attempts to make certain things overpowered for a limited time. Each thing gets a few months of absurd power, until they buff something else, and that becomes the new insanely overpowered thing. There is never any real balancing going on here.

3) Severely limited build options. Sets in D3 are forced down your throat, because they provide ridiculous damage/mitigation numbers that you can never get anywhere else. Try beating a set with 1500% total damage with your 'theorycrafted' unique build. It's not even close. This forces set builds on players and redundant, boring builds season after season.

The game is just bad, overall.
I was going to write out a list of things I strongly disliked about D3 but then a creeping thought kept coming into my mind - I'd buy it in a second if it came out on my switch. /shrug
main, central problems of D3 are still present post inferno nerf and well into todays game. they could not be solved without doing a TON of work on existing items and blizz as usual was too pussy to do real changes in RoS, thus missing the mark yet again.

1. there are no COSTS to your character progression or choices. Skills being able to change on the fly make every single character play the same way. Casualization strike one - appeasing the casual sector of 'boo hoo billy doesnt have time to brick one character', so the game is idiot proof. There is no investment or 'wrong' choice.

2. itemization is shit with very little customization possibility. casualization strike two - trying to make loot simplistic understandable even to a mentally challenged person. as a result, rare items are all boring and homogenous. legendaries for most part were extremely bland at release, and after a while its all about sets and bonuses. again, ending up with bland loot in a game which used to be about loot and customization. weapon damage being the end grail of determining ANY build was so uninspired and lazy its hilarious. dont get me started on 'smart' loot

these are the two main problems that were true before difficulty drop and now, making the game boring as two of main components of a diabloid arpg were tainted (interesting loot and meaningful CHOICES)

obviously there were a few things that were since changed:

insta-buyout AH. best way to play the game was to play the AH.
item progression was fucked up in terms of item power. best way to farm endgame weapons to stay alive for act 3 in softcore was to glass cannon through some act 3 and farm a bug.

post inferno nerf and post AH closure, d3 completely seesawed and went from grindy game with AH to game where an average player achieves everything extremely fast due to retarded drops, and a dedicated player gets bored in a week or less.
Last edited by grepman on May 18, 2017, 1:17:14 AM
There's no labyrinth & trials in D3. Didn't even know that's what I was missing until GGG added it to PoE. Now, can't game without!
and lab is still more engaging and dangerous than post-inferno mode storymode D3 before they introduced rifts.

and to play rifts...wait for it...you need to buy RoS. I bought D3 for its full price and the endgame is completely gated behind a real paywall.

fuck that - thats actually insulting. I can play D2 endgame without LoD. I refuse to buy RoS because of this.

actually, refuse to give blizz money anymore. Id rather give my money to niche devs than a company that parasitizes its own titles, making overly polished soulless games that appeal to wide masses.

the same company that did the lost vikings, diablo 1, warcraft 1, warcraft 2 and starcraft in a span of FIVE years. FIVE, count them. 4 original titles with tons of innovations.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Why you guys don't like it? Or hate it?

D2 was easily one of the best games I've ever played and I put in a good 8 years of serious play. Granted it was during a time where I was a full blown alcoholic so my memories of those years are kind of hazy. But the one thing I took away from those years of playing D2 was that feeling that you could easily fuck up your character irreparably. I liked that. I liked that a lot.

D3 is completely missing that. Combined with the cartoonish graphics and free/ez loot it's lacking anything and/or everything that made D2 great imo.

It's a great console game though, I gotta give it that. Just not the D3 I was hoping for.

PoE feels more like D3 than D3 does to me.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
I still play it a bit at the start of most seasons and team up with some old friends from wow that I never managed to get into PoE. It just gets old so quickly though with the ease of gearing up and then hitting that wall where all you can do is grind paragons and find the same items with slightly better rolls. It's fun for a week every few months and that's it, it doesn't have the depth to be anything more than that.

Don't understand how people can play it 24/7 for a whole season. I'd go as far as saying there must be something wrong with you if you'd do that, it's just so mind numbingly dull after a while.
Last edited by RandallPOE on May 18, 2017, 8:39:36 AM
I felt like none of my decisions mattered, all the skills felt overbalanced so they were all practically the same, and I had no say in how my character progressed. Also since you couldn't level up past 60 all progression came down to was buying better loot in the auction house because loot that was good enough to do the last difficulty of content really didn't drop.

Also the amount of mechanics that took control of my character away from me, that also felt like they just happened to you, like jailer and fear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info