Changes to the Labyrinth

I would love for GGG to make ascendancy-points available in some other manner. It almost doesn't matter in what way. "Clear this map of monsters 20 times? Perfect... Anything to avoid the labyrinth"

As it is now, we have to run labyrinth 4 times to get the points, and if you're not very fond of the lab, you end up dreading the levelling. And the ascendancy-points are just too valuable to not do it. They are, quite literally, game changers.

Personally I hate the lab. Not only because it is horrendously coded (lag during ground-fire), but also because of the extreme waste of time, when the game bugs/hangs and kicks you from the lab. I've lost count of the amount of times I have been disconnected during lab-runs.
And I only run them 4 times per character. Just today I have tried running labyrinth 3 times, without being able to complete it. Not dying, but just getting the random dc's/app-hangs/failed to join instance.
I sincerely wish they could award us the Ascendency points after we fight against every last boss in stories.

When you defeat the bosses,you ascend.That´s smooth and natural.
Instead we beat 4 times of weird-ass Mechanical King with all the traps and corridors out of nowhere to get these essential points.
Not sophisticated,nor logical.
"
Palin81 wrote:
I sincerely wish they could award us the Ascendency points after we fight against every last boss in stories.

Instead we beat 4 times of weird-ass Mechanical King with all the traps and corridors out of nowhere to get these essential points.
My sig completely agrees with you.

Platform mini-games have no place in an ARPG, at least not as core content that's required to define your character.

On a related note, prestige classes in RPGs are usually gated by the need to complete content that has something to do with the specialization in question. A wizard does wizardly things to become a specialized wizard, an assassin does assassin-like things to become a specialized assassin, and so on. This way of organizing things makes sense and it also enhances the replay value of the game by quite a bit. In fact, a significant part of the fun in some games has to do with running through the specialized arcs for each class / prestige class because they really help you to feel / experience how your character is changing and growing.

In contrast, GGG has gated prestige classes behind the same experience for all classes. Thus, instead of running a variety of class-related missions of increasing complexity to build skills in a specific prestige class, in POE all classes run through the same minor variations on the same content over and over.

It's cheaper for GGG to do things the way they have. But, it looks and feels, well, cheaper to have things done the way that GGG has done them.

I would sum up labyrinth in these four words:

Illogical, cheap and irritating
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Jun 17, 2017, 3:46:06 PM
Really hope they reconsider this. Game is too long for this type of "GOTCHA!" mechanic. Makes HC play almost pointless.
making a trial mandatory for progressing after beating brutus would be the best anti-bot mechanic.

and prevent players who can only play like bots to get disappointed later on when the game really reuires skill to progress.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
fiw7 wrote:
I would love for GGG to make ascendancy-points available in some other manner. It almost doesn't matter in what way. "Clear this map of monsters 20 times? Perfect... Anything to avoid the labyrinth"

As it is now, we have to run labyrinth 4 times to get the points, and if you're not very fond of the lab, you end up dreading the levelling. And the ascendancy-points are just too valuable to not do it. They are, quite literally, game changers.

Personally I hate the lab. Not only because it is horrendously coded (lag during ground-fire), but also because of the extreme waste of time, when the game bugs/hangs and kicks you from the lab. I've lost count of the amount of times I have been disconnected during lab-runs.
And I only run them 4 times per character. Just today I have tried running labyrinth 3 times, without being able to complete it. Not dying, but just getting the random dc's/app-hangs/failed to join instance.

"
Palin81 wrote:

fiw7 and Palin81 thank you both for voicing your opinions on the disliked labyrinth. I've added your names to the list of players posting similar opinions now at 896 names long. As the list grows longer our voice grows stronger. Over 330 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 890 posters in support There's been something like 108 or 109 names added just from this thread alone. That's about two new names added per page of this thread. That along with the overall length of the list would seem to indicate that the many people dislike this content and think it should be fixed.

Note that in the list people added from this thread have a "#" after their name. If I see a similar post in the Feedback and Suggestions forum then the "#" will be replaced.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
vio wrote:
making a trial mandatory for progressing after beating brutus would be the best anti-bot mechanic.

and prevent players who can only play like bots to get disappointed later on when the game really reuires skill to progress.

This is like a good cop, bad cop post. A good idea spoiled with just enough of an unnecessary backhanded insult to keep it true to bully form.

Good job. Goat approved.

Anyway, if GGG truly ARE bound & determined to keep this trial/lab thing as a gateway to the higher ascendancy game, they really should make traveling through trials an absolute passage to the next area/act.

Maybe consider replacing Brutus with the trial and make Brutus a side quest.

No. I'm not kidding.
Lab can remain with its treasures/rewards and what not. What I don't like is the fact that ascendancies are gated by the lab. As a player who joined in 2013, the core of Path of Exile has always been building your character through the expansive passive tree and unique items. It's not designed for Touhou-like gameplay (exaggerating here, traps aren't that hard). Just as an example, Path of Exile is not controlled by WASD movement but right clicking on the mouse, yet movement in League of Legends feels miles better than PoE (really wish they'd show where you're clicking). This, in tandem with lag, hardware issues, etc., make movement incredibly imprecise. Moreover, for some of the longer trap runs in merc/uber, you can't zoom out far enough to look ahead and plan, so often times you just gotta pop your flasks and hope you'll make it. If you enjoy the lab, go ahead and do it, but please set free the ascendancies.
Last edited by BrokenClock901 on Jun 19, 2017, 2:20:21 PM
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
fiw7 wrote:

"
Palin81 wrote:

fiw7 and Palin81 thank you both for voicing your opinions on the disliked labyrinth. I've added your names to the list of players posting similar opinions now at 896 names long. As the list grows longer our voice grows stronger. Over 330 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 890 posters in support There's been something like 108 or 109 names added just from this thread alone. That's about two new names added per page of this thread. That along with the overall length of the list would seem to indicate that the many people dislike this content and think it should be fixed.

Note that in the list people added from this thread have a "#" after their name. If I see a similar post in the Feedback and Suggestions forum then the "#" will be replaced.

You can add me to your list. I am only doing the lab for the prophecies once I have a couple of them waiting for completion.
I never lose.
Either I win
Or I learn
- Nelson Mandela
I've played PoE on and off since 2012. It's still the best ARPG on the market IMO, but boy does the Labyrinth detract from the experience - the Mario/Frogger gamestyle just isn't something I'd choose to play by choice and it doesn't feel to fit comfortably within the game. The Ascendancy points are essential for a decently developed build however which effectively makes the Lab mandatory, as avoiding it would leave you with a much weaker character.

From the number of threads it seems that Lab is one of the biggest bugbears for a lot of PoE players, but I've not spotted ANY responses from GGG to these threads to explain their thoughts on this. Have I just missed something from them during one of my breaks from the game?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info