Damage Over Time Changes - More Information

Main issues of the stated changes:
1) adding more types of burning damage to the game, all of them behave differently in terms of damage scaling
2) some damage modifiers apply once, some twice, in two different phases (pre and post-hit)
3) trap and mine support gem gets special treatment

Okay? No, it's confusing as fuck.

All increases and multipliers to damage should apply only once per used skill. There is no reason to assume otherwise. Skills which apply ailments as a niché (at the moment, Puncture and Viper Strike) could inherit initial hit damage in the DoT portion. It makes thematically sense and I think the skills would otherwise become crap.

I have yet to form an opinion on Caustic Arrow, but it's very intricate as a skill by default and I don't have much experience with it. Perhaps after I get to play with the changes.

In general, removal of double-dipping, making bleed and poison ailments AND making bosses be affected by said ailments are changes for the better. Making more support gems and passive tree nodes promoting the exchange of damage avenues is great. How about nodes or gems which trade crit chance/multi for ailment chance/duration/damage or vice versa. More possibilities of character design with more math weighting the drawbacks. Controlled Destruction and Elemental Focus Support gems are an exceptional display of that.

It's as always... I'm a little scared, but eager to test out the changes. Maybe it's time to make the 2H Viper Critical Strike char.
Last edited by ethox on May 11, 2017, 8:00:38 AM
"
ethox wrote:
In general, removal of double-dipping, making bleed and poison ailments AND making bosses be affected by said ailments are changes for the better. Making more support gems and passive tree nodes promoting the exchange of damage avenues is great. How about nodes or gems which trade crit chance/multi for ailment chance/duration/damage or vice versa. More possibilities of character design with more math weighting the drawbacks. Controlled Destruction and Elemental Focus Support gems are an exceptional display of that.

Yeah, but keep in mind this costs valuable gem-slots. As if wouldn't be already enough trouble to get a 5L or god-be-aware a 6L working. Now the trouble even gets enhanced.

To fix this very issues, GGG needs to adjust the incredible bad RNG generation of Fuses. It can absolutely not be that some guys have to spend 1200+ Fuses while others do it almost instantly.

IMHO it would have been an idial time to overwork the useless "Bloodlust gem". Had GGG give it a chance to cause bleeding with physical skills, it might have been a wonderfull addition to the DOT-changes.

Right now I am sceptical to no end. Bleed is garbage right now and probably will stay it after the changes. Going for burning or poison again seems to be the better choice right now.

"
ethox wrote:

It's as always... I'm a little scared, but eager to test out the changes. Maybe it's time to make the 2H Viper Critical Strike char.

I experimented with a Lacerate StarFORGE Slayer this league. With the high-DPS first impact damage transfer gone in 3.0, this will seriously not work anymore. As longs as we don't know the base damage for DOTs, there is no possible theory crafting.

Let's do an example:
-What is +100% increased damage over time / bleeding, burning, poison damage?

Is is 100? 1.000? 10.000? We just don't know.

GGG would have to rework all the skills and display their bases in the skill description. Since all I hear is "while the beta runs", you can forget this to happen. It will be patchwork excellence. So scary to see potential mid-season adjustments in 3.0 and 3.1+ again.
Last edited by TheGoodBadWeird on May 11, 2017, 10:00:19 AM
"
Since both the initial hit and DoT will have damage calculated separately, will penetration affect both the calculations now instead of just the hit?
Penetration is inherently an on-hit effect. It cannot apply to Damage over Time.

Oh shit ofc... I guess pure ignite builds will be trash after all since pen will be useless for the DoT... Like where do you see a non-inquis ele caster without pen in endgame?
If it must buy increased bleed/poison/burn and increased DOT, now that DOT does not depend on increases of hit, how to leech enough life?. I mean, DOT based character will be good with DOT but won't have any increased physical, so, hits will be weak, there will be some leech system related with DOT?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info