Path of Exile State of the Game (Legacy League 2.6)

Although it's mostly generic Arrowneous/Sexcalibure style whining the guy who wrote it also wrote an rpg i played the hell out of over 20 years ago so props for that
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
Last edited by MarloStanfield on Apr 28, 2017, 6:08:39 PM
"
Philophobia wrote:
All I read was "death mechanics are bad because they are bad". ...

Perhaps I can help? Here's some points he made.

A) Many find the death penalty upsetting and cause people to stop playing PoE. This is especially true for the casual players. The vast majority of the player base are casual players. This makes them an important component. The vast majority of posters in this forum are elite players, called hardcore players in the article.

B) There really is no need to "cap" leveling at 100. Other games demonstrate other more friendly ways to handle this.

C) People play the game for fun. Many (especially the casual players) consider the death penalty to be punishment and not fun.

D) Removing the death penalty from softcore would improve the contrast between softcore and hardcore.

E) Player retention would improve if the death penalty was removed/reduced.

Before the elite players start trying to attack me personally for this, while I agree generally with the article on this issue, I played PoE for years and learned to deal with the death penalty and it doesn't really bother me personally. I just start a new character when the death penalty becomes a bother for me. I do think that it would improve player retention generally if the death penalty was removed somehow. If the GGG concern about removing the death penalty has more to do with bots easily reaching high levels then that might be a different story, I don't know.

edit:
I thought the "potential" section had some good ideas in it.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Apr 28, 2017, 8:19:02 PM
One thing I agree with the writer is this game does lack a thorough ingame tutorial for new players. As an experienced player of ARPG genre I can figure the basic stuffs after 30 minutes of playing and the in depth stuffs after several weeks of playing. I often get asked about a great deal of trivial things by new players, friends of mine that I invited to play this game.

For the "death penalty system" and the Labyrinth, to each their own. But the first impression I got from playing this game back in 2014 this is not a casual friendly game. You die pretty easy even in normal difficulty. I appreciate the developer makes it this way. With the current modern gaming feed you too much easy, casual friendly stuffs this was the new breeze for me. Like that Dark Soul people are cheering so much about.
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Philophobia wrote:
All I read was "death mechanics are bad because they are bad". ...

Perhaps I can help? Here's some points he made.

A) Many find the death penalty upsetting and cause people to stop playing PoE. This is especially true for the casual players. The vast majority of the player base are casual players. This makes them an important component. The vast majority of posters in this forum are elite players, called hardcore players in the article.

B) There really is no need to "cap" leveling at 100. Other games demonstrate other more friendly ways to handle this.

C) People play the game for fun. Many (especially the casual players) consider the death penalty to be punishment and not fun.

D) Removing the death penalty from softcore would improve the contrast between softcore and hardcore.

E) Player retention would improve if the death penalty was removed/reduced.

Before the elite players start trying to attack me personally for this, while I agree generally with the article on this issue, I played PoE for years and learned to deal with the death penalty and it doesn't really bother me personally. I just start a new character when the death penalty becomes a bother for me. I do think that it would improve player retention generally if the death penalty was removed somehow. If the GGG concern about removing the death penalty has more to do with bots easily reaching high levels then that might be a different story, I don't know.

edit:
I thought the "potential" section had some good ideas in it.

Except that PoE was never intended to be casual friendly. Also, how many are many? Did you, or whoever wrote that thing, did you both do some serious opinion mining to draw such conclusion?
No rest for the wicked.
"
Turtledove wrote:
There really is no need to "cap" leveling at 100. Other games demonstrate other more friendly ways to handle this

hmm... sounds a lil' bit like
"
I don't really like this passive skill tree. Other games demonstrate other more friendly ways to handle this

or
"
We don't need item sockets system. Other games demonstrate other more friendly ways to handle this

You see... this is what makes POE... POE.

Death penalties are good. On one of my characters this league I died like 300 times, seriously. And no complaining, because I accept the necessity of experience penalty in order to prevent everybody from having 100 lvl by the end of first week. 100 lvl for everybody is a no-no.

POE is all about the challenge and bitterness of the fail and sweetness of the victory. If one can't stand that, one shouldn't be playing POE. It was never about being an "easy game". Much lov

Tiny edit.

I do agree though, with lack of tutorial. A community project maybe? I like community projects, happy to be a part of one.
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by GoodbyeEmily on Apr 29, 2017, 7:44:47 AM
"
Docbp87 wrote:
This guy.

Also, I never liked when authors of articles just dumped a link to their page. If you want us to read your opinions on "the state of the game", then actually write them here (or you know, even just copy and paste them into your post). Otherwise, it comes across as a tacky grab for hits.

It's exactly that, I fear.

Post your content here or we are not going to read it. How do we know that link is safe?
"
Although it's mostly generic Arrowneous/Sexcalibure style whining the guy who wrote it also wrote an rpg i played the hell out of over 20 years ago so props for that

And now he is reduced to whoring out himself out on the forum of a F2P ARPG in a desperate effort to feel relevant in an industry which has long since stopped giving a shit about his contributions.

Really makes you think.
Nice article.

Regards Death penalty: it made sense in Diablo 2 and would make sense in PoE as well, if you die in fight and not in one shot/trap/lag/spike/wtf was that/suddenly buffed group of mobs/teleporting to another room/etc issues.
I think he has a lot of points. I'm not going to discredit him just because I disagree with one or two points, like some people in here.

- The XP penalty is a problem for MANY players.
- The labyrinth is a problem for MANY players.
- The guild system/features seems lacking for MANY players.
- The lack of a proper tutorial is a problem for MANY players.
- Melee targeting

I could go on. Just because it's not a problem for YOU, doesn't mean it's not a problem for the game as a whole. Some changes here and there would do wonders for player retention, but as it may not affect YOU directly, some of you just seem incapable of seeing the positive sides.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Apr 30, 2017, 11:30:51 AM
Every single thing he mentioned *is* a problem. Death Pen being the biggest offender.
Yeah we get dying shouldn't be "oh you just walk back like nothing" but going from that to "You just lost your last 17 hours of play in experience, moron" is a bit extreme.
PoE can't plan on having high casual player retention because many things like this.
Hail build Diversity,
Death to the speed clear meta.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info