3.lake

"
Daiena wrote:
They never designed dried lake with the idea that it would be used for farming.

I have my doubts.

Docks felt like emergent phenomena. There were a few other places that people could go instead, but people went to docks due to a combination of the builds that were good at the time (spork), the lighting, the magic packs, etc. Even back then, Solaris/Lunaris/Aqueduct/Barracks were higher level zones, but all were less desirable.

Dried Lake felt a little hamfisted. "Here's a giant zone with a desirable, farmable boss directly attached to town."
Last edited by pneuma on Apr 28, 2017, 8:08:26 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Daiena wrote:
They never designed dried lake with the idea that it would be used for farming.

I have my doubts.

Docks felt like emergent phenomena. There were a few other places that people could go instead, but people went to docks due to a combination of the builds that were good at the time (spork), the lighting, the magic packs, etc. Even back then, Solaris/Lunaris/Aqueduct/Barracks were higher level zones, but all were less desirable.

Dried Lake felt a little hamfisted. "Here's a giant zone with a desirable, farmable boss directly attached to town."

Before docks it was ledge, in fact quite awhile ledge was the place to farm, especially for leveling before mapping.
When docks became a thing, we didn't even know A4 and aqueduct or lake would exist, that was some good year or two before A4 was announced.
In fact at first people were farming both aqueduct and dried lake when act 4 came out, the only thing that really sort of pushed dried lake to be the new ledge/docks was...divination cards as possible drop. The moment certain streamers caught on, people just followed the flow. I personally farm level 1 mines, there is only a handful of possible layouts, and once you know them, it's basically like shore, only indoors.

You might be right, maybe dried lake was made specifically for pre-map leveling, but that's a long stretch and could be said by a lot of zones given if you know them well enough.
No rest for the wicked.
Last edited by Daiena on Apr 28, 2017, 8:30:37 PM
"
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There will always be a "Dried Lake". It was docks for a while. It was even Ledge once. There will always be the most popular spot to re-run. That's not a function of the game, but a function of the players. And we're not getting an upgrade.

It was...
- Fellshrine (pre-Vaal Oversoul/CB)
- Maelstrom of Chaos (pre-maps, post-Vaal Oversoul)
- Fellshrine (pre-A3/OB, post-maps)
- Docks (pre-A3.x)
- Docks (pre-A4)
- Dried Lake (post-A4 until now)

I hope that GGG doesn't plan an area as a designated farming zone. It'll happen naturally -- they should focus on making all the areas beautiful and dripping in lore.

I remember city of sarn being a spot aswell.

Only for races ;-) you're right thi... What about ledgeruns? Lol!
No Problem,
Exile
Most "Ledge farming" areas are a result of outdoor areas that are mostly filler transitions between areas or side areas that feature enemies that die very easily and have layouts that are easy to navigate with few obstacles in your way (Docks is kind of an anomaly because the concentrated number of enemies makes up for its more complicated navigation), so unless GGG manages to make the entirety of Acts 5-10 have a Cells layout, a new pre-mapping farm area is more than guaranteed.

But will there be a new Dried Lake? I do think Dried Lake was an intentional farming spot, because there is no other area pre-mapping as open and vast with about three packs of enemies every one or two screens and the few obstacles you do see act as landmarks on a map that can be navigated in a circle (it also helps that it has a boss only uses melee attacks that are telegraphed for minutes and has to stand still to summon more minions). Otherwise Aqueducts would've just been the place to go since it was a transitional area full of easy to kill enemies. Only time will tell if there ends up being another perfect area to farm in.
Still wish they would dynamically update drop rates so that frequented areas like Dried lake would over time become less profitable and areas that were less frequently used become more enticing. They have the data collection tools. All they would need to do is hook them up to a drop rate modifier.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Still wish they would dynamically update drop rates so that frequented areas like Dried lake would over time become less profitable and areas that were less frequently used become more enticing. They have the data collection tools. All they would need to do is hook them up to a drop rate modifier.

What for? To be mean?
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
Make the beach map the new dried lake.

Can't be. The appeal of dried lake is that there's no associated cost. You might not think a beach map is a cost, but you would if you started the whole herd running them.

No, i mean use the beach tileset where ever the new dried lake location is.

+1
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Cataca wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

What for? To be mean?

To promote varied play, of course. Or at least an illusion thereof.

It's the same issue with the current 'Shaped Strand' go-to for grind.

For some weird reason, developers don't really like it when they put all this effort into making a game and people only play 0.1% of it regularly. *shrug*

Forcing players to play a certain way "the developer intends the game to be played" is one of the major reasons games die, or decline.

not doing this and giving players the tools to play and do whatever they think is fun, is the major reason this Game is such a major success.

Even the, quite frankly, mindnumbing "we do streamer builds and farm strand all day long" practice is going to fade out, and Players are going to find The next thing that is fun to them. When? When *they* get bored. Or if GGG makes other content more enticing.
"
Even the, quite frankly, mindnumbing "we do streamer builds and farm strand all day long" practice is going to fade out, and Players are going to find The next thing that is fun to them. When? When *they* get bored.
This is already happening, an any% speedrun and race scene is taking off among streamers because of the beta delay and this league losing interest.
"
pneuma wrote:

I hope that GGG doesn't plan an area as a designated farming zone. It'll happen naturally -- they should focus on making all the areas beautiful and dripping in lore.

Completely, absolutely agree.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info