[2.6] RoseRock's Magma Orb Elementalist

Hello, I want to show you my Magma Orb build.
My first language is german, so pls forgive me grammar mistakes :)

Build Idea/Idea-Sources:
Spoiler

The Idea came when I looked at the Skill and saw all the Gem-Tags which Magma Orb had. - Fire, AoE, Projectile, Spell, Chaining. So i thought this skil scales with a lot of modifiers, that it should be possible to make a good build with it.

So I looked for some Builds of it and there was just one guide, with a 6L Staff and Life. (Nextguy's Magma Orb)
And a Video from ZiggyD, but the Character doesn't exist anymore.

These were my both main inspirations/guides. Passive Tree(and the Structure of this build) is based on nextGuys build and the idea for the Infernal Mantle came from ZiggyD.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Both without Pendulum of Destruction active.
With LMP:

With Slower Proj.:

Videos:

Completions
Spoiler

Normal Atziri
Uber Lab
Tul
Xoph
Esh
Uul-Netol
Full Atlas with Bonus Objectives, without Perandus Manor and The Putrid Cloister
To Highlight:
- Guards + Shaper
- Vaal Temple Map
- Hall of Grandmasters (I took Scorching Ray for the Block Dude with me)

Gem's + Links + Explanations
Annotation:
I didn't test the optional Setup ideas. Things which are optional are things, which I think that they could fit/could be usefull.
Spoiler

Gem's + Links:
Spoiler

6L(Chest):
Magma Orb - Spell Echo - Controlled Destruction - Lesser Multiple Projectiles/Slower Projectiles - Fire Penetration - Concentrated Effect

4L(Helmet, Gloves, Boots):
1st: Orb of Storms - Increased Critical Strikes - Increased Aoe - Culling Strike
2nd: Arctic Armour - Clarity(Lvl 12) - Discipline - Enlighten
3rd: Immortal Call(Lvl 4) - Cast when Damage taken(Lvl 3) - Tempest Shield(Lvl 8) - Vaal Discipline

3L(Wand, Shield):
1st: Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Summon Flame Golem
2nd: Phase Run - Increased Duration - Faster Casting

Explanations:
Spoiler

LMP/ Slower Proj.:
LMP for Map clearing and Slower Proj. for Bosses (and large Mobs e.g. Essence Mobs with many high Essences)

Concentrated Effect:
My decision for my last Support Gem was Conc. Effect because it gives a large Damage bonus (54% more Area and 10% increased Area(from Quality) Damage the less Area doesn't really takes Effect, because we use the threshhold Jewels(they give +1 Projectile, max of 2 Jewels). So we have a Cone of 5 Magma Orbs amd the AoE overlapps nearly all of the time even with less AoE from Conc. Effect.

Phase Run:
I took Phase Run as second Movement Skill, because I just like this one. It allows to run over the map quite fast, if i took a wrong way. Also to open Strongboxes without the danger of minion block.
So the Phase Run is just a Comfort Pick, you can replace it, if you want.
Ideas: Decoy totem + 2 other Gem's or Spell totem support + Flameability + dunno
Auras aren't recommended(for Explanation look at Clarity)

Orb of Storms
To trigger Elemental Overload and Mastermind Of Discord. Inc AoE for Comfort and Culling Strike is ever usefull(Kill enemys, when they have <10% life)

CWDT-Setup:
The Level restrictions in the CWDT Setup comes with the level Restriction of CWDT. It has to be low-lvl to get triggered at a lower amount of Damage taken.

Vaal Discipline is very usefull for some dangerous Situations, where you're unable to get a Savespot to reg your ES.

Clarity/Auras
Clarity just Lvl 12: We don't want to have less than 30% mana, because Infernal Mantle causes to take 100% increased Spell damage, when we're on low Mana. So to have a litte Space to this mark, I let Clarity at lvl 12, even If you're mana regen doesn't compensate the Spell costs of Magma Orb.

Discipline is logical.
Arctic Armour gives you more defences against phys. Damage and just has 25% Reservation.
Other Options are Herald of Ice, Thunder, Ash(just with Quality, which gives Increased Fire Damage), which lead to more damage and less Defences.

Gear:
Spoiler

Helmet:

As much ES as possible, but at least more than 250ES.
As much Resistances as possible.
Additional Mana is usefull, but just a bonus.
Additional Magma Orb Chain Enchant is Ideal, because Magma Orb bounces one more time with each additional chain.

Body Armour:

Infernal Mantle is mandatory. The +1 Lvl to Fire Gem's brings your Magma Orb to Lvl 21, so it Chains 3 times.
Increased Fire Damage and Fire to Chaos convertion are both good. And the ES is enough to get to a good level of sustain.
Look for a Infernal Mantle with a good ES roll.

Weapons:

Main Hand:
Wand with high Spell Damage roll, Fire Damage and Cast Speed are the most important stats.
Adds Fire/Cold/Lightning Damage to Spells is nice to have and depends on your luck(i found this Wand on my own! :D) or budget.

Off Hand:
Shield: Look for High ES and good Ressis. Mana, Mana regen, Spell Damage is just nice to have.

Other Armour:

Rainbowstride are cheap Uniques with nice Res-Mods, an okay ES and 25% Movement Speed. Also the Mana and Block Chance applied to Spells are quite usefull. At least they arent mandatory
Generally look for good ES and Ressis. Things like Mana and Mana rege are just nice to have.
For boots increased Movemet Speed should be >=20%.
The Elemental Pen Boot Enchant is ideal against bosses. Try to get this one.

Jewellery:

Rings are mainly to get your Ressis and Attributes to the level you need it. Also look for some ES.
Eye of Chayula became mandatory for me to savely clear T13/T14+ Maps. In front of it you can take an Amulet on your own choice with the classic variation of Stats(Ressis, Attributes, Mana(regen), inc. max ES, Spell damage ... choose what you want/need)

Flasks:

Atziris for Life leech, especially against ele reflect. Probably can be changed against Vessel of Vinktar(didn't tryed it)
Bleed Removal on Eternal Mana Flask, because this Flask can be activated 5 times until it is empty. This is quite usefull against Essences of Greed, Bleed Nemesis mod, and Bleed Bloodline. Also you need the mana reg, because your mana reg isn't enough to compensate your Magma Orb Spam.
Wise Oak is just usefull if your highest Res is Fire, to get an additional 20% Fire Pen Effect. It can be changed against
to have a burn removal and more defenca against phys dmg.

Passive Tree + Jewels + Ascendency:
Spoiler

Passive Trees + Jewels:
Spoiler

Lvl 60

Lvl 81

Lvl 93

Jewels:

2x Inevibility is mandatory, each gives you an additional Projectile and increases your clear. Also the Less AoE from conc.-Effect gets compensated.
For the other two increased max. ES + Increased Fire Damage preferred(because double dip) + Cast Speed/Proj. Dmg/AoE Dmg./Inc. Dmg.

Ascendancy:
Spoiler

Paragon of Calamity -> Shaper of Desolation -> Pendulum of Destruction -> Mastermind of Discord

Shaper of Desolation vs Liege of Primordial:
Shock and Ignite are both usefull status ailments because they grant you extra Damage, so you cause 10 of 14secs a nice status ailment on the enemys. Which leeds to a good Damage bonus - especially the shock modifier.
LoP has the advantage, that youe have a higher base Damage which is consistent.
In my Opinion Shaper of Desolation tops the bit more consistent Damage(everytime instead of 10 out of 14s) of LoP. Also I havent to think about, where I can place another golem.

Mastermind of Discord vs Liege of Primordial:
The Damage Pen from Mastermind tops Liege of Primordial in my Opinion (124k DPS(with MoD vs 114k DPS(with LoP) in PathofBuilding.

And you're AoE is so heavy that Beavon of Corruption would be quite useless. Also it wouldn't deal that much damage because this Build don't go for the Ignite Damage.

Bandits:
Spoiler

Kill All -> Help Alira(Cast Speed) -> Kill All

Leveling:
Spoiler

I recommend, not to go with Magma Orb from the beginning, because it has just 1 Projectile and bounces once. There its clunky and i hadn't much fun during this time. But it's still possible. First time i died was in cruel act 3, if I remember right(with SRS at the beginning for bosses).
I recommend to go with SRS to lvl, because they are also strong without any supporting Passive Nodes.
You also can take an other, more fun leveling Spell and take Magma orb with you in the Off-hand.

Go for Magma Orb, when it reaches level 10 and use LMP or get your first Inevitability. With 2 Chains + more Projectiles Magma Orbs starts to be really enjoyable.

For Gear just take what you find or want and go for CI, when you reach round about 6k ES(save 4 Skill Points and take the complete Cluster) and buy a 5L Infernal Mantle(~20c).

Some Annotations + personal Assessment
Spoiler

I had the luck to Corrupt my Magma Orb to Lvl 21 and also had the Luck to find this Wand, which is really good. This both are items which are really good. So Shaper + Guards also should be able to do, but will probably be a bit more difficult.

Also this Build isn't insane tanky. You can tank most of the monster Packs(but at least they die to fast) and can take some melee hits from major enemys, so that e.g. proximity shields aren't a problem, also Atziris Promise gives you sustain against constant damage/many smaller hits. But you can't tank high Tier Bosses(get hit 2 times: mostly no problem; but more is a Problem). So you have to move constantly and need some skill when it comes to dodging attacks.

This build farms every Map really save, because of it's insane high-Damage, really large AoE cone of Damage. With it's Penetration(63% with 20/20 Fire-Pen + Mastermind of Discord; +20% when you've The wise Oak; + 10% against single mobs with boot enchant = 98% Fire Pen) you easily kill every High-Life rare mob. Rogues also die fast, but in T15/T16 Maps they can become a bit dangerous in Terms of their Damage output.

Its my first Build, with which I killed Guards + Shaper. I love it and have a lot of fun playing it. I recommend it for everyone, who likes to play a build, which isn't a no Brainer and wants to try something new.

3.0 Version

Have fun! And stay friendly :)

Feel free to Post your Opinion and Ideas for this build in the Comments :)

- I'm will try to record Guards + Shaper, if PoE stays playable. - So maybe I'll add some Video links in the near Future.
Last edited by RoseRock on Aug 23, 2017, 3:43:37 PM
Last bumped on Aug 23, 2017, 3:45:59 PM
What do you think about

1)Going crit instead of Ele Overload

2)Replacing clarity with warlord mark blasphemy, dropping some mana regen nodes and grab VP
"
g2g wrote:
What do you think about

1)Going crit instead of Ele Overload

2)Replacing clarity with warlord mark blasphemy, dropping some mana regen nodes and grab VP

To 1)
Crit could be an Option, if you can modify the Skill Tree in a Way, that you dont loose much raw damage and have enough crit chance.

But I don't recommend it, because Ele Overload gives you an consistent Damage Output(remember: 40% moreEle Damage) . Crit is more random and I think this randomness would influence your survivability in negative way.
Also you need a Lightning Skill for the fire pen from Mastermind if Discord. Orb of Storms just would be there for the MoD proc and would loose its good double function.

So even if I think that crit could work, i don't think that this would lead to significant more damage.

A way to check, how much DPS is possible, would be to try some Setups in PathOfBuilding.
But to be honest, I'm to lazy to use my time for it. So if you want to find it out, you need to do it yourself ;)

To 2)
Replacing clarity with warlord + blasphemy would lead to less 30% unreserved mana(even with enlighten Lv 3), which would lead to 100% increased Spell damage taken, because of infernal mantle. Not a good idea.

Replacing Calarity + Arctic Armour would work and with VP i think, i would compensate the the lose of the protection from arctic armour. Also you could use an defensive flask - rumis - instead of Atziris.

Going to VP isn't such a large problem as i thought - dropping the +30 Attribute Nodes, the two Nodes at "Dreamer". the three at "Quick Recovery" and one from the "Explosive Impact"-Cluster and you can go to VP. - just make sure, you have enough str without the Node(dex gets fully compensated)

The Tree would look so:(the lower Path to VP would need one more Skill Point, when taking the Jewel socket) VP-Tree

I think this is a good idea, to get more survivability. Even if you sacrifice a littlebit Damage and a bit damage reduction, i think it can be worth it.

To conclude:
1) - I don't think that it's worth.
2) - Good Idea. I'm thinking about to try this on my own. - Thanks for the idea :)

Thanks for the comment.

- RoseRock

Cool build, bandits?
"
soogblablue wrote:
Cool build, bandits?

Normal = Passive (kill all)
Cruel = Cast Speed (help alira)
Merciless = Passive (kill all)

Click on any of the passive tree links and it shows the bandits on the left hand sides pop out.
"
KuriKara wrote:
"
soogblablue wrote:
Cool build, bandits?

Normal = Passive (kill all)
Cruel = Cast Speed (help alira)
Merciless = Passive (kill all)

Click on any of the passive tree links and it shows the bandits on the left hand sides pop out.

Thats right.

Added this to the Build. Thanks for the hint.
Awesome Build. I am really impressed you are playing ES without Vaal Pact.

I play a build made by Maxzz that is a Generic Spell Totem Build that you can use any spell. I decided to try Magma Orb after watching your videos. The result was pretty impressive. I recorded the Core Map. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the idea. I would never have thought to try Magma Orb until I saw your videos.

IGN - BlazeCane - if you want to take a peek at the build.
I am not Anti-Social, I am just selective on whom I wish to be social with.
"
Ahewaz wrote:

I play a build made by Maxzz that is a Generic Spell Totem Build that you can use any spell. I decided to try Magma Orb after watching your videos. The result was pretty impressive. I recorded the Core Map. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the idea. I would never have thought to try Magma Orb until I saw your videos.

Thanks for your comment. I'm pleased to hear, that you like this build.

The Video is quite impressing, and the eye- cance with four magma orb totems is insane xD.
Probably more safe, because you can focus on running and dodging stuff. And the damage seems good.
Did you tried the guardians, because they give a better perspective about end game than the T15 bosses.(more life, more damage reduction)

In 2.6 this build works how it is, up to the endgame. Hopefully it will continue so in 3.0 - ES nerf and Ignite changes will hit it :/

- RoseRock
Last edited by RoseRock on Jul 20, 2017, 2:46:42 PM
Something to VP + wardlords + blasphemy:

I tried it and returned to my old style.
Magma Orb doesn't just deal damage periodically, when a bounce hits the ground. Between this hits theres nothing. So in this time your vulnerable to dieing though multiple hits.
Additionally you need to stand near the enemy to get this Leech, which leeds to getting more damaging hits and a higher chance to get deadly amounts of damage.

So I didnt enjoyed this way. I can be that I was to much used to play the hit and run playstyle of the original Version... But i won't test it again because, as I said, didn't like it.

And if I take a look to 3.0: In 3.0 it won't be possible to get the VP effect for ES. So the original Version ist more future proof ;)

Also: If this build is 3.0 viable, I need to check due to coming ES nerfes and Ignite changes.

- RoseRock
"
RoseRock wrote:
"
Ahewaz wrote:

Thanks for your comment. I'm pleased to hear, that you like this build.

The Video is quite impressing, and the eye- cance with four magma orb totems is insane xD.
Probably more safe, because you can focus on running and dodging stuff. And the damage seems good.
Did you tried the guardians, because they give a better perspective about end game than the T15 bosses.(more life, more damage reduction)

In 2.6 this build works how it is, up to the endgame. Hopefully it will continue so in 3.0 - ES nerf and Ignite changes will hit it :/

- RoseRock

Yeah, I have completed everything but Shaper. The only reason I have not killed him is that I am still getting used to the mechanics of the fight. The DPS is fine.

I am in beta & tested the build. You will enjoy Ignite just for the fact it has "More" fire damage. My DPS went out the door in beta with the same build. Unfortunately, my playtime was limited so I was not able to go past tier 10 maps. I play a life build so the ES nerf will not hit me. Fire DPS seems to have been given a massive boost. The other gems are pretty good. When I get home tonight, I will link a few of the new ones I have been playing around with.
I am not Anti-Social, I am just selective on whom I wish to be social with.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info