Partly unfair and frustrating game design

"
Ratedetar wrote:
"
Bookeater49 wrote:
"
soloman_kane wrote:
For example, at least a log would be great, so you can look up what killed you.

After thousands of hours, you'll know why you die.

While I agree to an extent, this is something GGG needs to fix. Not all of us have played for thousands of hours. I've even seen some experienced players on twitch die and have to replay the video over several times to figure out why they died. It would be nice for new players and old to know when they die to know where/how they fucked up so they can fix it.

Often I think new players die mysteriously then stare at the screen having no clue why then go make a thread on the PoE forums complaining about it. I mean that's why this thread exists, right ?

"
Shagsbeard wrote:

PoE is a game where if you make bad choices, you'll find out quite quickly that you're in need of change.

Not sure if this is true. Majority of builds work fine while leveling up. It's when you finish the game and start getting into Maps where you find out if you planned your build correctly or failed miserably. By time you reach this point you have invested several hours (at least for newer players) into the game already.

case in point: this thread

But that's the thing leveling is suppose to workable for all builds. If you want to min-max end game then you need to plan for end game ahead of time.

Even then with +25 free regrets from the quests + you can buy some if you logically built your character upon a good base it's hard to not be successful if you tried even if your not top tier.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Apr 24, 2017, 9:46:06 PM
"
Ratedetar wrote:
"
Bookeater49 wrote:
"
soloman_kane wrote:
For example, at least a log would be great, so you can look up what killed you.

After thousands of hours, you'll know why you die.

While I agree to an extent, this is something GGG needs to fix. Not all of us have played for thousands of hours.

I'm still relatively new- I've been playing a bit over a month now, I believe? And this is what gets me.

I'm doing fine. I'm doing great, even. I turn a corner, and WHAM, I'm dead.

I don't even know what killed me, or how it killed me. Sometimes it's not even on screen, so I can't look around and see if any of my zombies (if any of them remain) are fighting whatever it was that destroyed me in one hit. I have no combat log to check, to see what it was and how I could possibly compensate. How do I learn from something when I'm given nothing to actually learn FROM? Even given thousands of hours, how could I learn when I have no information to learn from, and the experience is over the instant it begins?

Ah well. I just go on, keep playing, maybe give InstaKiller another try, at the longest range possible, flasked up the whazoo, fingers crossed and preparing to dash away at warp speed... but still missing valuable info as to what else I might need to improve myself to increase my survival chances, if possible.

As to where I'm at: I just started maps a couple of days ago, but I have yet to manage to complete Merciless Lab. I'm enjoying myself, but if I'd have any one real complaint, it would be this right here. The lack of a log of some sort to learn from and make informed choices on ways I need to improve my character.
Isnt there a program that records the last 5 minutes of gameplay or something?
As a comment to the OP's first post; there is a reason people chain Strands at high level with OP gear and damage, even at level 99. Experienced players know you have to minimize risk in this game to survive.
Kitty's Guide On Post Formatting - view-thread/1913874
Last edited by Dkodr on Apr 24, 2017, 10:08:48 PM
"
soloman_kane wrote:
There are several situations build into the game, which result in a 100% chance to die and to lose the accomplishments of hours of playing.

This evidently isn't true, there are people who can consistently level to 100 pretty damn quickly, even in HC. You cite being lvl 86 as some kind of evidence that you've learned the game; There are lots of people who can do 0-86 in little more than a day.

Learn what is killing you and learn how to deal with (or avoid) it.
In support of the OP... I can remember feeling this way with my first couple characters. It was brutal. But you learn to avoid damage, rather than try to build a character to withstand it. Once you do, those "100% kills" vanish.
In order to 100% not die in PoE you need to be aware and avoid every possible circumstance that may kill you. The problem is that there is always some circumstances that you can not control or avoid without not playing the game. Screen freeze and disconnects for example.
Kitty's Guide On Post Formatting - view-thread/1913874
The issue is that you are either brainlessly steamrolling or dying in one shot pretty much no matter what you do, unless you have a trash build, in which case you'll just continually die. You can have 15k ES and temp chains/enfeeble, fortify, you name it, and 99.9% of the time you'll be unkillable. Thing is, eventually you'll find some extremely improbable combination of factors, like a legacy of zeal GMP powerful crits miscreation pack next to a crit totem and a phys aura rare which will annihilate you nearly instantly without warning, and there will be nothing you can do about it unless you have superhuman vigilance and focus. That feeling, instant death with little warning, is why we see so many of these posts. Experienced players brush it off and deal with it, and they know it'll happen again eventually. New players either buckle down or rage quit. That's just how it is, and GGG has pretty much stated that this is how they like it.

(I'm not endorsing this view, just letting you know what their stance on it is, OP.)
Much like alot of other people have said, not dying in this game is most often a case of learning to pick your fights. It's not always the game, your hardware and internet will play a part too. I know with my rig that popping a strongbox with alot of mods will 9 times in 10 result in a few seconds of insane latency resulting in death. As a result I dont often open them if I'm anywhere close to leveling. Diviners are the one exception, as the opportunity cost is way too great to miss out on.

The only real advice I can give you is to keep playing what you enjoy and dont get disheartened. Ive been playing almost 4 years now (5 days short of my 4th year of exile) and my highest char is only 86.

Cheers,
Matt.
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
If people dont believe that the game tries to kill you when you are near the level you are delusional.

No surprise when are at that last 5-10% of the level suddenly a map you are facerolling throws you something that tries to 1 shot you, multiple times out of nowhere.

I even do white maps or plain magical maps when i am at 95% and things still might manage to kill me out of nowhere.

While the double beyond -11% player resitances + monster damage+ attack speed +onslaught+extra damage couldnt, that white mob at the white map suddenly did 6.5k damage..

Yeah okay, "learn the game".

Its just the fake way of difficulty, if everything 1 shots, game is hard.
"
potis wrote:
If people dont believe that the game tries to kill you when you are near the level you are delusional.

No surprise when are at that last 5-10% of the level suddenly a map you are facerolling throws you something that tries to 1 shot you, multiple times out of nowhere.

I even do white maps or plain magical maps when i am at 95% and things still might manage to kill me out of nowhere.

While the double beyond -11% player resitances + monster damage+ attack speed +onslaught+extra damage couldnt, that white mob at the white map suddenly did 6.5k damage..

Yeah okay, "learn the game".

Its just the fake way of difficulty, if everything 1 shots, game is hard.

lol typical mentality of the modern gamer

"It couldn't possibly be my fault I screwed up, I'll clutch at straws to blame something else"

Try switching off Netflix on the 2nd monitor when you hit 95% maybe?
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info