Experience Pause

If you're not subject to a penalty for dying I don't think you should be able to get loot either. Disabling exp gain would not be enough.
"
If you're not subject to a penalty for dying I don't think you should be able to get loot either. Disabling exp gain would not be enough.

Why stop there, disable the ability to get challenges as well, if you aren't willing to risk anything, why should you get anything in return?
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"

Why stop there, disable the ability to get challenges as well, if you aren't willing to risk anything, why should you get anything in return?

Agreed.

But even then, having a "practice" mode, where you can experience content with no consequences... that still rubs me the wrong way.
U MAD?
Most of you are overlooking the intended point.

THERE is NO RISK to running these things as is now if you do it on a fresh level.

The only thing Id like to see changed is the ability to pause the level grind to actually enjoy running some hard stuff now and then to break up the monotony of running till level. This would probably alleviate burn out and people would more than likely play a character longer instead of getting bored and taking the rest of the league off.

This is more aimed at the people who play a few hours a day but don't want to marathon grinding their xp. By shutting off all xp earned for player and gems there isn't a risk vs reward argument because you can already zerg the living shit out of the game as long as you are freshly leveled.
I know from my personal experience that leveling past 93 is just insanely boring and I can't imagine how boring it is from 97+

Id love to hear a valid argument about how pausing your xp gain is any different than sitting at just leveled?

Also think about the people who take a week to grind a level out due to limited play time and maybe they would be more apt to play longer and probably spend some $$ if they could long in and do 3-4 xp maps and then 1-2 that wouldn't erase their efforts because they are trying to gear up or experience harder content and learn/enjoy the game?
"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:
You have a point... I agree with almost everyting, but I'd like to run high lvl maps to practice...
Maybe with all rewards disabled (including item drops)

That would be interesting! :-) Not even an experience thing, but sort of a demo mode. We could try different gear/skill combinations on bosses, and it's only a trial run: no xp, no drops, no death penalty.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Hum, a practice mode you say? Kind of goes against the spirit of hardcore, where it would be most appreciated. In softcore environments I don't see a problem with it, you're just wasting your own currency, since you're willingly disabling drops and experience.
"
ghoulavenger wrote:
Hum, a practice mode you say? Kind of goes against the spirit of hardcore, where it would be most appreciated. In softcore environments I don't see a problem with it, you're just wasting your own currency, since you're willingly disabling drops and experience.

Not at all: you can "practice" right now in a standard (sc) league, then go over to hardcore and progress.
"
edgewood wrote:

THERE is NO RISK to running these things as is now if you do it on a fresh level.

The only thing Id like to see changed is the ability to pause the level grind to actually enjoy running some hard stuff now and then to break up the monotony of running till level. This would probably alleviate burn out and people would more than likely play a character longer instead of getting bored and taking the rest of the league off.

This is more aimed at the people who play a few hours a day but don't want to marathon grinding their xp. By shutting off all xp earned for player and gems there isn't a risk vs reward argument because you can already zerg the living shit out of the game as long as you are freshly leveled.
I know from my personal experience that leveling past 93 is just insanely boring and I can't imagine how boring it is from 97+

Id love to hear a valid argument about how pausing your xp gain is any different than sitting at just leveled?

Also think about the people who take a week to grind a level out due to limited play time and maybe they would be more apt to play longer and probably spend some $$ if they could long in and do 3-4 xp maps and then 1-2 that wouldn't erase their efforts because they are trying to gear up or experience harder content and learn/enjoy the game?

Being able to pause XP gain/loss at any time, and having to grind to get a level just to be at that "just leveled" point are very different. How is that not apparent?
U MAD?
Last edited by Docbp87 on Apr 25, 2017, 12:03:20 PM
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"
edgewood wrote:

Being able to pause XP gain/loss at any time, and having to grind to get a level just to be at that "just leveled" point are very different. How is that not apparent?

I agree with OP there is no risk / gain, just a momentary time sink.

Lets all be honest what do we all do, we go play maps, then when we hit a vaal roll that is just beast, we do what we put it into our stash and just hold it till we hit a new level. Then we get to go play with all the fun content of the game. saying yeah this is great woo, lots of fun. Yeah I died 4 times, but damn that was fun and OMG a real challenge.

Then we go well guess I should try and get another level, and we go back to strand for 10 hours of holding right click down. Then we hear that oh so great DING, gold sparks fly and we rush to our stash to play the games actual content till we burn through it then we go hmm, back to the strand for 20 hours this time. woo yeah.

OR you do it the other way, build all your builds to 90, and realize you will never be higher than level 90. Then you just grind for 1-2 weeks to get to 90 then say screw getting any more levels, and get to enjoy the game. So basically the effective level cap for me is 90.
But even then while getting to 90 i'm just forced to grind mindnumbling from 80ish to 90 doing semi safe maps.

So the OPs idea really has almost no real impact to the game at all, beyond allowing crazy map rolls to be played instantly instead of put on hold till level up. Or on hold till you hit lvl 90 and say screw leveling any more.
Overall to me this game is zero fun till i hit level 90, then it's all fun cause i'm running 10 mod maps all day long. with my middle finger waving proudly over the exp bar that never makes it above 20% progress.
"
keeperofstars wrote:
OR you do it the other way, build all your builds to 90, and realize you will never be higher than level 90. Then you just grind for 1-2 weeks to get to 90 then say screw getting any more levels, and get to enjoy the game. So basically the effective level cap for me is 90.
But even then while getting to 90 i'm just forced to grind mindnumbling from 80ish to 90 doing semi safe maps.

How did you know my strategy? o.O

Yeah, in all seriousness, I'm not an end-game kind of person, so this rings true with me. I don't really care to grind Atziri or Shaper, will get around to uber lab and other end-game content when it's convenient for me, and just enjoy progression, trying different builds, mindless map playing, and completing league challenges. IOW, I'm not someone who shapes strand to run thousands of times while watching poe.trade like a hawk to earn all the exalts and mirrors I can, let alone the best T1 mod gear. And I don't do meta builds, don't watch streamers, and don't minmax my clear speed.

"
keeperofstars wrote:
So the OPs idea really has almost no real impact to the game at all...

QFT. And here's why...

1.) The 1% already knows all boss strategies and the best builds and gear layout to deal with them, so they'll never use this mode.

2.) True casuals who use this mode to discover new tactics on their own, will invest a little in the time sink and take away from their limited game time any ways.

3.) The rest of us already researched boss strategies, watched videos, know what to expect, and might use this mode infrequently enough that it never ever affects anyone else playing the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info