Should chaos resistance be made more accessible?

Let me start of by saying I am not sure chaos resistance should be more available than it currently is. However I think it would a good discussion to have and I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the subject.
We all know energy shield and CI builds are currently very popular and in many ways straight up better than life. I don’t think life builds are as bad as they are sometimes made to look on the forums but I think it is beyond discussion energy shield is currently overall stronger than life for a great many builds out there.

I have played both CI and life builds and one thing that comes to mind is how much more dangerous chaos damage is to a non-CI based character. Chaos resistance is kind of hard to get your hands on. The suffix rolls lower than its elemental resistance counterparts and it’s not very available in the passive tree either. So if it was made more accessible – for instance if the ‘all elemental resistance’ stat was turned into an ‘all resistance’ stat instead or the chaos resistance suffix rolls had values identical to the elemental resistance suffixes – non CI builds would have an easier time.

On the other hand it would go against the original purpose of chaos damage which is special compared to other sources of damage. You aren’t really “meant” to have a character with 75% chaos resistance. If you had that much chaos resistance it would trivialize most sources of chaos damage which then would mean they would need to be scaled up a bit which then would mean the immunity to chaos damage given by CI would be even stronger.

So should chaos resistance be made easier to gain for non-CI builds ? And if yes by how much? A slight or a major increase? If no – why not?
Last edited by Frankenberry on Apr 23, 2017, 2:01:39 AM
Last bumped on Apr 24, 2017, 4:06:51 PM
There's plenty of ways to deal with the problem... so no.
At the very least, i think there should be a master craft
"The problem with scrubcore is that it is full of of scrubs"
- King Edward the Longshanks
I'd say no in general, however, I feel that hybrid life/ES builds should have some way to get chaos res more easily because it's awfully annoying and certainly not a luxury. Though it still wouldn't make them popular until they do something about sustaining multiple pools, it's one or the other now.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
If there was an easy way to get chaos resistance, it would just become another stat that GGG would assume we've maxed and thus have to. Elemental resistances are assumed to be capped. If they're not, you suffer. Chaos resistances are not assumed to be capped, so if you have some, it feels like a bonus.
Yup, I said hybrids only because they really need it, it's not a bonus, high chaos res is absolutely necessary for them. Maybe if those life/eva clusters had lower values and some chaos res to compensate, or if we had some really nice unique with chaos res that only hybrids can fully utilize.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
flask. boom there ya go.

you don't need to max chaos resistance. not even close. as far as i know nothing will lower it or penetrate it so as long as you have a cpl pieces of gear with it and a flask, you're good to go. flask effect is a bonus if its running in your build
I agree about giving hybrid some love. Hybrid was never strong to begin with, and lab traps completely destroyed it. Finding a way to give hybrids better defense against chaos would be a solid start.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Apr 23, 2017, 9:42:35 PM
CI finds a lot of it's strength in the "15% more energy shield" node that hide behind the keystone. That's what allows them to garner such huge ES pools.

For hybrid I'd say find better ways to improve that type of build rather than making chaos res easier to obtain, maybe a new keystone or unique that adds a lot of power to hybrid. Similarly that would make said keystone or unique a must for any hybrid characters
To Do List:
-Add Better Minion Supports
-Add More Permanent Minions
GoreFleshSummoner | Low Life Zombie n' Specter Summoner
Summoner Gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1633760
"
Enzari wrote:
For hybrid I'd say find better ways to improve that type of build rather than making chaos res easier to obtain, maybe a new keystone or unique that adds a lot of power to hybrid. Similarly that would make said keystone or unique a must for any hybrid characters

Tbh I think lab traps are more of a problem than chaos for hybrid builds. Something needs to be done.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info