Thin line between Clever use of game Mechanis and Exploit. Monstrous Treasure shenanigans.

"
SunL4D2 wrote:

What is not intended again?

You know what's not intended, stop being a smartass. Do you think it's intended that the load time of a map containing MT is different from a map not containing MT? Do you think it's intended that you can remove a map from the map device based on the load times? No. It is not. You are not supposed to be able to do that. It is NOT how prophecies are supposed to work. They are supposed to be random, whether you like it/agree with it or not.

Finding out about this is clever, I'll agree with you on that. But not all clever things in this world are allowed. Just because it's clever, doesn't mean you should be rewarded for finding out about it. The freakin' "Italian Job" was clever too.

Again; the fact that you think/feel that you should be able to mix and trix with this, doesn't mean you are supposed to. Or allowed to. All your arguments are built up on what you WANT or FEEL. That is irrelevant. Make a thread in the "suggestions" section, where you ask for the chance to decide when or where to proc a prophecy. Because you seem more and more butthurt over the fact that you can't remove the RNG-factors of the prophecy, rather than debating.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Allright, in my mind things are really really simple, a game mechanic is anything to do with what happens IN THE GAME, as in when you're killing monsters, when you're equiping items, making your skill tree, item crafting, etc. You can exploit an unforeseen game mechanic, that very clever use, it's not bannable. Shaper killing using the soul mantle, this kind of thing.
Now on the other hand, we have stuff like watching the fps drop in a zone to determine wether or not a vaal side area has spawned, although this IS an exploit, it is also not an active one, on a small scale, it can save a player time, and currency, i'm going to make a slightly misguided comparison with farming solaris temple lvl 1 for perandus spawns back in perandus leauge. Obviously it's not the same, the fact that these spawns happened more often in one zone than in another IS coded into the game, the fps drop when a vaal side area spawns is a side effect, lag, it's not a game mechanic. The result however is more or less the same.
Then we have the case of active exploits, I'm not familiar with it, so correct me if i'm wrong, but the way I understand it, the MT exploit involves removing a map from the device while it loads, and STILL being able to gain access to said map, by doing this you essentially just gained a free map, it's small of course but you just got a free item, I call that duping ^^
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:

What is not intended again?

You know what's not intended, stop being a smartass. Do you think it's intended that the load time of a map containing MT is different from a map not containing MT? Do you think it's intended that you can remove a map from the map device based on the load times? No. It is not. You are not supposed to be able to do that. It is NOT how prophecies are supposed to work. They are supposed to be random, whether you like it/agree with it or not.

Finding out about this is clever, I'll agree with you on that. But not all clever things in this world are allowed. Just because it's clever, doesn't mean you should be rewarded for finding out about it. The freakin' "Italian Job" was clever too.

Again; the fact that you think/feel that you should be able to mix and trix with this, doesn't mean you are supposed to. Or allowed to. All your arguments are built up on what you WANT or FEEL. That is irrelevant. Make a thread in the "suggestions" section, where you ask for the chance to decide when or where to proc a prophecy. Because you seem more and more butthurt over the fact that you can't remove the RNG-factors of the prophecy, rather than debating.

Exactly, it's not how prophecies are supposed to work in a sense that they are intented to proc randomly. And finding the way around that using game mechanics as they supposed to work - prophecies proccing simultaneously with map opening / ability to pull map out map of map device / loading times (it's like most down to earth logic) kinda screams clever use of game mechanics. Don't you think?

This is the reason why GGG didn't done anything about it for so long. Not even a single official public response about it. It's all because they realise how ambiguous and contradictory MT procs issue is.

"
MonkeyMaestro wrote:
Allright, in my mind things are really really simple, a game mechanic is anything to do with what happens IN THE GAME, as in when you're killing monsters, when you're equiping items, making your skill tree, item crafting, etc. You can exploit an unforeseen game mechanic, that very clever use, it's not bannable. Shaper killing using the soul mantle, this kind of thing.
Now on the other hand, we have stuff like watching the fps drop in a zone to determine wether or not a vaal side area has spawned, although this IS an exploit, it is also not an active one, on a small scale, it can save a player time, and currency, i'm going to make a slightly misguided comparison with farming solaris temple lvl 1 for perandus spawns back in perandus leauge. Obviously it's not the same, the fact that these spawns happened more often in one zone than in another IS coded into the game, the fps drop when a vaal side area spawns is a side effect, lag, it's not a game mechanic. The result however is more or less the same.
Then we have the case of active exploits, I'm not familiar with it, so correct me if i'm wrong, but the way I understand it, the MT exploit involves removing a map from the device while it loads, and STILL being able to gain access to said map, by doing this you essentially just gained a free map, it's small of course but you just got a free item, I call that duping ^^

You don't get extra map from that though.
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Apr 24, 2017, 7:14:25 AM
"
And finding the way around that using game mechanics as they supposed to work - prophecies proccing simultaneously with map opening / ability to pull map out map of map device / loading times (it's like most down to earth logic) kinda screams clever use of game mechanics. Don't you think?
I think the line drawn here is with loading times, which aren't really game mechanics, just a system data loading function.
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Exactly, it's not how leaguestones are supposed to work in a sense that they are intented to lose charges. And finding the way around that using game mechanics as they supposed to work - leaguestones keeping charges with map opening / ability to pull leaguestone out of tab / loading times (it's like most down to earth logic) kinda screams clever use of game mechanics. Don't you think?

So which other Prophecies could that trick be done with?
Could you do it with Vaal Winds or the Deadly Twins prophecies?

If it was an intentional mechanic, why would it only work with a single prophecy?
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Apr 24, 2017, 7:32:13 AM
Since there is still so much confusion about how MT actually used to work, what it did etc (Every exploit screamer has no idea pretty much) I'll explain it shortly.

What you had to do was pretty simple. You activated MT and used a map. If the map instantly loaded MT would be on the map. If it went like normally is the case (It takes a few seconds) then you take it out and seal/reactivate the prophecy. And repeat till it instantly loads. At a cost of 6 silver coin per try.

No server capacity is being abused. No extra gains. No instances loaded over and over. Nothing like that. Just like they can't ban for glancing at a graph, they can't ban for you taking a map out before it loads. Because there are other reasons why you would wanna take it out before it loads.

So please, stop the nonsense about how this was so taxing on the server, how people dupe doing this etc.

"
Miská wrote:
Since there is still so much confusion about how MT actually used to work, what it did etc (Every exploit screamer has no idea pretty much) I'll explain it shortly.

What you had to do was pretty simple. You activated MT and used a map. If the map instantly loaded MT would be on the map. If it went like normally is the case (It takes a few seconds) then you take it out and seal/reactivate the prophecy. And repeat till it instantly loads. At a cost of 6 silver coin per try.

No server capacity is being abused. No extra gains. No instances loaded over and over. Nothing like that. Just like they can't ban for glancing at a graph, they can't ban for you taking a map out before it loads. Because there are other reasons why you would wanna take it out before it loads.

So please, stop the nonsense about how this was so taxing on the server, how people dupe doing this etc.

The main thing was preventing strongbox specific sextants and leaguestones from being wasted on a map where the prophecy didn't trigger.
And of course making sure the really good map was only used with the prophecy.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
Miská wrote:

So you were using technical mechanics and not gameplay mechanics to gain advantage in the game.

This is why it was deemed and exploit and not a "clever use of gameplay mechanics" as you are not using gameplay mechanics. Clear enough?
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
SunL4D2 wrote:

Exactly, it's not how prophecies are supposed to work in a sense that they are intented to proc randomly. And finding the way around that using game mechanics as they supposed to work - prophecies proccing simultaneously with map opening / ability to pull map out map of map device / loading times (it's like most down to earth logic) kinda screams clever use of game mechanics. Don't you think?

This is the reason why GGG didn't done anything about it for so long. Not even a single official public response about it. It's all because they realise how ambiguous and contradictory MT procs issue is.

You use the word "supposed to work" as if the differences in load times are calculated. They are not. This isn't game mechanics, this is a fault in their code - ergo an exploit. Following your logic, NOTHING is an exploit. Every weakness or fault is there for you to take advantage of. And when that is your moral stance, well, again, nothing is an exploit in your eyes. Because, as you say, you view weaknesses/faults in the code as "game mechanics".

And no, the more likely reason why GGG didn't say anything about this, is that they didn't want to shed any more light on the situation, making more players exploit it. They do not have the time or resources to monitor the use of this all the time, so they keep it on the low until a fix is clear. The same reason why bot-videos will get removed from the forums; why in the name of RNGesus would the advertise something like that?

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Using loading time to determine when things happen is not a game mechanic, it's an exploit. The ability to pull a map before it loads is less of a game mechanic and more of a fail safe against the map failing to load.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info