Where do I complain about Scammers like [Removed by Support]

The main problem here is that the system allows for scams to easy,what i mean is if you tade goods you both have to accept so there is a fail safe in that.
Whit challenges its different 1 party will always be in the position to scam the other either by stealing the offer if no downpayment was made or ppl running of whit the downpayment.
It's ok to be white

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
Funny detail. The scammer posted in this topic. Guess he enjoyed the scam so much he had to rub it in abit more. [Removed by Support]

If only support would be as quick to help people as to protect scammers.
Last edited by Miská on Apr 16, 2017, 5:49:56 PM
At this point, I'm just surprised the majority here thinks it's 'not OK' to sham him for scamming, but think it is 'OK' to sham me for complaining.

Tells me what I need to know about the culture.
"
Taylor5CC wrote:
At this point, I'm just surprised the majority here thinks it's 'not OK' to sham him for scamming, but think it is 'OK' to sham me for complaining.

You got slaves of the devs that are always gonna fight back lmao

Remember, no empathy for victims, just a tautology of policies until you keel over (see: United Airlines)
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
Taylor5CC wrote:

Why are you surprised? It's not like you have proof the dude scammed you. And even if he did, it's your fault for doing something so risky. It's not like he violated ToS by taking your money in a trade window and logging out. Welcome to Wraeclast.

Nothing is funnier than seeing people getting screwed when buying achievements or getting their char killed on bandit quests in HC. I wish there were youtube highlight reels.
"
Taylor5CC wrote:

It's your word vs his. The developers can only take on a neutral stance which as unfair as it might seem to you at this point in time, is the right action to take.

It's Social Darwinism as you rightly put it. Live, learn and move on.
Please understand that the rational for the "no naming & shaming"-policy is not to protect scammers. The rationale is to keep the level of hostility down on forums.

Witch hunts, accusations true or false, forum wars ... they can quickly escalate and really damage the community. No one but toxic trolls wants that to happen. Such hostilities might also further deteriorate to the point where other breaches of policy require heavy moderation. Which costs REAL people REAL time and REAL effort. And there is just no point to it.

Edit: Your cause might be just. The next person's cause for posting might not be. Often, it will not be apparent who is right and who is wrong. No one has the ressources to find out. If that even can be done. Hence the policy without exceptions.
Last edited by Archinquisitor on Apr 17, 2017, 1:49:37 AM
"
Taylor5CC wrote:
"
j_tom47 wrote:
And how exactly did you get scammed out of 100c?
He said on the trade channel he had a Perandus Archive for sale and to PM him. I PM'ed him saying I would buy it for 100c. He invited me to his party. I went to his hideout and traded him 100c. He then logged out. I am now sitting in his hideout. He has logged back on and started a new map. He has not responded to my PMs.

I think its a little weird I am not allowed to warn others on this forum about him. If people aren't allowed to warn others about this, it seems to be saying this kind of behavior is ok. I just started playing this game, and I'm not sure I want to continue if bad-behavior is not only rewarded but also protected.

Don't quit. Just Dont buy anything without commensurate item in trade box or unless you really know the dude. Clans are useful for this type of thing. Yes POE is full of scammers and scams but i've never been a victim because I don't allow it. Simple as that

It also helps I dont give a shit about challenges so I don't feel compelled to buy them. Whatever I get is by accident of RNG.

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 17, 2017, 5:26:13 AM
Thank you 鬼殺し and others for your replies. I've read them all and thought about the implications of each other the last week (even Frenshi's). But, I was curious about:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
All this "I did it for the children!" doesn't wash. You did it to get back at the guy, and you tried to use GGG to help you with your revenge.
Since you've never met me, I would interested to hear how you arrived at this conclusion.
Last edited by Taylor5CC on Apr 24, 2017, 1:31:12 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Firstly, I'm skeptical of your wide-eyed ignorance in light of that 28 you're sporting, Taylor. If you've made it that far without being fucked over even once, colour me impressed.

You are asking if this negative experience and GGG both refusing to intervene AND their choice to stymie your attempts at claiming justice means it's not the game for you. It seems a little like thinly-veiled blackmail (i.e. GGG won't intervene so I'll just withdraw future support) because you've got 28 achievements. I'd say this is definitely the game for you.

But...

This game turns good people into arseholes. I've seen it happen dozens, hundreds of times over the course of my time here. They come here, trusting, naive, a little selfish but nothing beyond what you'd expect. And then they get fucked over, well within the idea of 'acceptable' on PoE and in GGG's eyes, but it's enough to push them over the line. To embrace the 'Social Darwinism' and lose absolutely any and all empathy for or confidence in others, especially strangers. This IS how to win at PoE's metagame. GGG wanted their economy antfarm and they got it. They don't want to police it, because that might affect their observations of the antfarm ecology and social intricacies. And believe me when I tell you 'antfarm' is the word for it. Unless someone is outright cheating (hacking) or excessively abusing others, their actions are as an ant's to a curious, passive but strangely bloodthirsty child.

The only other option, assuming you don't quit or just become a hermit, is to find a guild. To reduce the amount of interaction with absolute strangers. To mutually benefit, I suppose, from what could be anything from wary compliance to outright trust -- it does happen, all the time.

Or, as I said, you can become a hermit. Go solo self found. Rely on none but yourself. Hard to 'scam' yourself. It's the longest way round but it's the only way to know for sure. It's funny how many people asked for that, and yet now it's here, I don't see that many putting the trade/party pipe down. Very funny indeed.

Regarding name-and-shame: it's not naming-and-shaming people want. We had naming-and-shaming here once, in a thread I ran and moderated with GGG's blessing. Their one rule was that they would not intervene no matter what. The thread was purely for community awareness.

And NO ONE USED IT.

People don't want name-and-shame in and of itself. They want justice. They want their currency back. They want these evil bastards to pay. To be punished for their transgressions. And there's nothing wrong with that. But much like the frequent unfairness of real life, it's just not going to happen here. And I'm not going to cite some bullshit RP excuse; I have RPed online for decades now, and PoE has precisely zero RP because it's just not built for it at all. This is a game where the character might be amoral by circumstances as a matter of survival...but the player becomes immoral as a matter of greed and peer pressure. Which I suppose, in an ARPG based around gathering loot to kill shit to gather more loot, might be the same thing.

This isn't about 'Wraeclast xd' as the zealous, overachieving, but sadly misinformed _Saranghaeyo_ keeps saying. GGG don't promote scamming or ripping off. That's just crap. They just see it as part of the market. Caveat Emptor and all that. Nowhere will you see GGG say 'go scam!' or 'feel free to rip each other off' -- that's promoting, and they don't do it. Again, you need to think in terms of ants and children. The fecundity of scams and rip-offs is, in their eyes, pretty much between the ants. Period. If you want to blame GGG for anything, blame them for not deciding if the game is Eve online or Diablo 3. Blame them for clinging desperately to their dream of a free market while providing zero tools to facilitate a fair one.

It really sucks you got ripped off/stolen from, Taylor. I'm sad that this encounter might cause you to lose hope or faith in others, but that'd be totally understandable. And if it makes you see GGG as uncaring or cruel or even malicious, I want you to remember: ants and children. It's all fine and well to want the child to use their magnifying glass to burn this sneaky ant or that, but it's no longer an ant colony the moment the child intervenes. Then it's just a mountain of dead ants waiting to happen.

This is how GGG have chosen to play it, for better or worse. Hands off, almost to an illogical point where it seems they trust the ants not to fuck each other over constantly. It's been over five years for me now since I found this game and I still can't quite get my head around it all. GGG aren't uncaring; they're not cruel. They don't actively promote malicious behaviour in players...and yet they know the straightest line to success in PoE is to fuck others over. And that this in turn promotes reactive negative behaviour, and so on...

This is why I say they need to decide if the game is Eve Online or post-AH Diablo 3. It's either a free market dictated by players but governed by all sorts of tools for analysis and trade, OR it's a loot-whore arpg where the drops are sufficient to progress without engaging in aggressive trading. It cannot be both.

Until they decide, I for one am playing SSF and pretending it's the latter. It's an insane reaction to an insane situation, given drops are no better on SSF, which means we SSFers are literally trying to excel at a game balanced around the idea of trading to get optimum gear. But if that's how I can avoid situations that would absolutely turn me into a raging misanthropic monster, so be it.

GGG are just very lucky no one's released an even half-decent ARPG in the past few years. Very fucking lucky indeed. I suspect Fall of Oriath's above-and-beyond approach is partially an attempt to safeguard against the threat of a superior product popping up.

Anyway, it sucks that you got scammed, or let yourself be scammed as quite a few here would say. It sucks that this game tells players that hurting each other is the way to get ahead. To win. It really sucks that those who resist that call to be selfish and who do feel such behaviour is reprehensible get shouted down, sarcastically or otherwise, by those who have woefully come to accept it. But most of all it really fucking sucks that GGG can't seem to find a happy medium between leaving players to their own devices and encouraging a fair market where it is mutually beneficial for both parties to honour their word, whatever it may be.

now I feel like an ant.... thx

oh well I hear were getting a new ant farm for 3.0 so i guess ill go on being a happy little ant, unless Chris decides to fry me with a magnifying glass
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info