Increase Inventory or Change Something? ITEM CREEP

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
As for "additional stash", you mean inventory, correct? Because this thread is about adding to the inventory, or making the stash available everywhere (or at least a currency stash tab available everywhere), not additional stash tabs.

OP: Could you be a little clearer about what you mean, because I got to this reply on page 2 before I realized what you meant by "inventory." That's such a generic term- any container that you own is part of your "inventory," including the stash. If you're only referring to the 5x12 spaces on your character then you can be less ambiguous using terms like backpack or bag or pack.

And on that note, all of your reasoning appears only to suggest a need for more inventory space (i.e. stash space), not any particular need for more bag space. What is the nexus between number of item types in game and size of the backpack? I don't see any. You don't store some % of all item types in your bag, and you never did. I come from a computer engineering background and the bag is like a cache memory, while the stash is like long-term storage. Having more item types in the game increases the demands on long-term storage, in the same way that if you went from keeping 10 movies on your HDD to keeping 30 movies on your HDD you might need to add some more storage to handle that increase. But you don't need 3x as much cache just because you are storing 3x as many movies on your HDD. Cache is a working set, not a storage platform. In POE that working set is how much loot you can haul from 1 portal. Nothing in the OP speaks to the functions of the bag as a working set, it's all about long term storage on the basis of quantity of items existing in the game. The reasoning seems to suggest you want more stash tabs, which is reasonable. Although it does impinge on GGG's revenue stream. I'm sure part of the reason there has been so much item creep is because it sells stash tabs-- the creep isn't some accidental side-effect.

It does look like you started to get a little closer to addressing pack size in replying to ewolow's comment, but you got so tripped up on replying to the words he used that you missed the point he made. It makes me skeptical.

Having said all that, I think MortalKombat3 made a good set of suggestions, and having an omnipresent currency tab are both good ideas, although this is a agree-with-conclusion-&-disagree-with-reasoning situation, because my reason has nothing whatsoever to do with item creep or storage. Currency is just a hassle to shuttle around from one container to another, especially when you are selling things with the vendor. It is something I would like to see streamlined just for UIX flow. (Unfortunately, it's a bit complicated since currency tabs are premium purchase that aren't available to all accounts.) MK3's ideas have a variety of benefits ranging from crafting improvement to increasing drop value predictability to smoothing progression. Those changes are interesting on their own merits without storage capacity entering into the discussion.

As for more bag space, put me down as another "no."
"
munkytos wrote:
Lel, my point is 99% of the items you whine about being added to the game without a scaled inventory increase do not get picked up because they have zero to little value to the player.

99% of the new items added to the game which I listed? Such as div cards and essences? You're delusional.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
OP: Could you be a little clearer about what you mean, because I got to this reply on page 2 before I realized what you meant by "inventory." That's such a generic term- any container that you own is part of your "inventory," including the stash. If you're only referring to the 5x12 spaces on your character then you can be less ambiguous using terms like backpack or bag or pack.

Well, that's the problem. The stash tabs are called the "stash" and the item space carried by players is called the "inventory". Not sure why you think that's "generic" or "ambiguous". The title at the top of our character's inventory is... wait for it... called "inventory". And the stash is called "stash". -_-

"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
in the same way that if you went from keeping 10 movies on your HDD to keeping 30 movies on your HDD you might need to add some more storage to handle that increase. But you don't need 3x as much cache just because you are storing 3x as many movies on your HDD.

Analogies... *sigh*.

"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
As for more bag space, put me down as another "no."

...it's called "inventory". -_- And there's no voting or tallying, this is just a feedback and discussion forum.

But I love to see the disagreements. Because, I *know* for a fact, if GGG added another little tab to your inventory to hold, let's say, currency you pick up, you'd be happily using it, lol.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Apr 13, 2017, 8:16:48 AM
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Having a small currency inventory for strongbox rolling and skyforth chancing would help immensely. Many times suggested, acknowledged by GGG, etc.

Past that, I think it's fine. We have a bit less space now, primarily due to div cards and essences, but most people were used to fitting 6 * 2handers (or 12 * gloves/boots/helms) and had that open row at the bottom anyway.
"
Crackmonster wrote:

Thanks! I missed that thread. Great suggestions there.

"
pneuma wrote:
Having a small currency inventory for strongbox rolling and skyforth chancing would help immensely. Many times suggested, acknowledged by GGG, etc.

Past that, I think it's fine. We have a bit less space now, primarily due to div cards and essences, but most people were used to fitting 6 * 2handers (or 12 * gloves/boots/helms) and had that open row at the bottom anyway.

Indeed. I often use that 5 height for 3x2s and 2x2s stacked, provided I find any good ones along the way. I often collect those uniques and rares as a secondary task, and end up skipping a lot of them.
From the latest dev Q&A:

"
Chris wrote:
I was wondering if there has been any consideration of a form of a side pouch for dedicated currency pickup, as inventory slots are valuable and I usually can't afford to carry all the currency that would otherwise enhance my experience of maps and such without sacrificing that space I would otherwise need.

This is a cool idea that the community occasionally suggests. I haven't talked to the team about it recently but it sounds like the kind of thing that would be considered for a later expansion.
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
From the latest dev Q&A:

"
Chris wrote:
I was wondering if there has been any consideration of a form of a side pouch for dedicated currency pickup, as inventory slots are valuable and I usually can't afford to carry all the currency that would otherwise enhance my experience of maps and such without sacrificing that space I would otherwise need.

This is a cool idea that the community occasionally suggests. I haven't talked to the team about it recently but it sounds like the kind of thing that would be considered for a later expansion.

Yes, thanks, that's why I started this thread...
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
I'm posting this since a user's question came up in the recent developer Q&A about adding a "pouch" to the inventory to pick up and store currency.
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
Docbp87 wrote:
From the latest dev Q&A:

"
Chris wrote:

Yes, thanks, that's why I started this thread...
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
I'm posting this since a user's question came up in the recent developer Q&A about adding a "pouch" to the inventory to pick up and store currency.
Nobody wants to read OP these days...
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
I guess on a hardcore death, one would retain the currency contents of the on-character currency pouch/stash?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info