Increase Inventory or Change Something? ITEM CREEP

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
SudianX wrote:
Did you count essences?

Doh! Good catch! :-) I'll update OP.

That upped the increase to 264% instead of 227!

104 essences, 1 remnant of corruption. Did I miss any?
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
finding the strongbox which is worth the vaal orb or the essence worth corrupting or the carto/diviner box worth being rolled properly puts you before the decision to go back to get the currency OR just use the transmutes/alterations you usually have with you.

it doesn't matter how many additionally currency they invented or will invent. it's just this decision and ggg likes putting players before decisions. so it's not likely to change, "this is a really good idea, i will talk to the team" is just british english for "nope".

the only issue where this issue is relevant and worth discussing is "full party play" where one usually just has one portal. because there is no choice there.
"
cronus wrote:
the decision to go back to get the currency OR just use the transmutes/alterations you usually have with you.
(...)
ggg likes putting players before decisions. so it's not likely to change

I'm not really following the logic there, or did I misunderstand what you wrote?
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
cronus wrote:
the decision to go back to get the currency OR just use the transmutes/alterations you usually have with you.
(...)
ggg likes putting players before decisions. so it's not likely to change

I'm not really following the logic there, or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

my point was, it doesn't matter how many additional currency ggg adds.

at a certain point of "additional currency being introduced" it's just forcing you into making a decision (to go back to get it or not) which ggg likes (putting players before decisions)

that's why i think an additional stash will not be introduced. chris found it a good idea a long time ago already.
"
cronus wrote:
my point was, it doesn't matter how many additional currency ggg adds.

at a certain point of "additional currency being introduced" it's just forcing you into making a decision (to go back to get it or not) which ggg likes (putting players before decisions)

that's why i think an additional stash will not be introduced. chris found it a good idea a long time ago already.

Ah, I see what you mean.

As for "additional stash", you mean inventory, correct? Because this thread is about adding to the inventory, or making the stash available everywhere (or at least a currency stash tab available everywhere), not additional stash tabs. Part of my feedback is suggestions to deal with the "item creep" itself, instead of just arbitrarily adding more inventory space.

Whether or not GGG implements such as change, let alone even agrees with it, is besides the point. The feedback is here regardless.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Apr 12, 2017, 4:08:43 PM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:

1.) Increase inventory: add more slots, perhaps a row for currency at the top/bottom, or just another tab for currency like a "pouch", or something?

I don't agree with this. Part of the game is limited portals for mapping, meaning that at times this limited stash requires that you make hard choices on what you pick up or leave on the ground, or pick up to ensure you get vs waiting to see if something else you want drops instead.

More items added in game means making even harder choices. Which I think is a valid part of the game.

"
cipher_nemo wrote:

2.) Compress/reduce items. Do we really need to keep map fragments around? Why not just drop the whole map or whole key? Adjust drop rate, or track progression and then drop final item when progression reached? It would made trade easier for sure. Same with quest items. While it's cool to see the quest item on the ground, and pick it up, we really don't need to have it take up space in our inventory: it serves no purpose other than to annoy the player. The most ridiculous of these are the disproportional amount of quest items in Act 3. But my biggest complaint?: gems. I honestly don't know how to solve the 174 gem crisis, but for inventories and stashes everywhere, this is a pain.

I agree with this here. It would be nice if quest items didn't take up inventory space, but I guess it makes sense why they do.

However, since you can portal or waypoint back to town unlimited times, I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is.

"
cipher_nemo wrote:

3.) Stash-all-the-time: no more clicking on a stash in-game, just let us pull up our stash all the time (perhaps Shift-I, Ctrl-I, or a new default keybinding?). Yeah, I know, radical idea. But imagine: no need to take up inventory space by carrying specific skill gem layouts and gear for specific situations. No need to worry about selectively picking up items for that single-portal zana quest, atziri map run, or even the lab. And this is SURE to make your MTX sales skyrocket, when more people buy more stash tabs. It will even sell more of those quad tabs which are total fail for me since I can't upgrade to them from other tabs.

Right now some people are playing Path of Trading and/or Path of Inventory Management. Let's at least help reduce or remove one of those so that we can play more Path of Exile again.

Thoughts? Think my ideas suck? Think they're genius? I'd love to hear it all, especially alternatives.

This I strongly do not agree with. It would completely destroy the risks associated with mapping.

I usually have little trouble with getting everything I want out of a map. Clear it with the first portal then use the next 5 to pick up and sell your junk if you're a pack rat, which it sounds like you might be.

My first year or so playing I used to keep everything, you know, just in case I needed it. Now I just sell it and know what to keep and what to toss.

Last edited by ewolow on Apr 12, 2017, 4:18:26 PM
My thought is that players tend to not pick-up most of rare items that drop. Even if those POTENTIALLY can become decent (i.e. a Siege Axe with really good rolls can be worth 1 exalted), it's just not worth your time picking them up, identifing, checking mods hoping to get that ONE valuable item among 100000 useless junk.
There are few ways to solve this problem.

1 You can add another "tier" of gear quality above rare, so rare is considered "junk" (just like magic is). D3 gone that way, rare items turned into junk, while "legendaries" are actually improved rares.
2. Make all rare items drop identified and allow checking stats with loot filter. Junk items will be filtered out.
3. Reduce quantity of rare drops, but improve their quality. ATM, there are many "junk" mod on rares, that are useless even at highest tier (life regen, thorns, etc), and even usful mods can roll low-level tiers with far too small numbers to have any use... That's why GGG has to throw tons of rare junk at player, to give him a chance of finding something actually useful with such a system.

I know, many other ARPGs experience the same problems, but in PoE, those come to extremes. Combine it with ultra-small inventory and ultra-fast gameplay meta - and players are literally forced to not pickup most of rares and uniques, and even some kinds of currency.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Apr 12, 2017, 4:31:59 PM
"
ewolow wrote:
"
cipher_nemo wrote:

1.) Increase inventory: add more slots, perhaps a row for currency at the top/bottom, or just another tab for currency like a "pouch", or something?

I don't agree with this. Part of the game is limited portals for mapping, meaning that at times this limited stash requires that you make hard choices on what you pick up or leave on the ground, or pick up to ensure you get vs waiting to see if something else you want drops instead.

More items added in game means making even harder choices. Which I think is a valid part of the game.

The inventory was designed when we had 278 non-equipment/flask/jewel items. Now we have 735. So why would you expect the "harder choices" to be more than two times harder now than at launch? That doesn't make sense.

"
ewolow wrote:
This I strongly do not agree with. It would completely destroy the risks associated with mapping.

I usually have little trouble with getting everything I want out of a map. Clear it with the first portal then use the next 5 to pick up and sell your junk if you're a pack rat, which it sounds like you might be.

But your entire model is completely destroyed when you have a group of six people going into a map (or any party size). Because that "next 5 to pick up and sell your junk" becomes zero in a full party, and significantly less in any party. Would you like to run all of your maps with only one inventory worth of loot among the more-than-double number of items we have now? Please explain to people who group all the time that one trip per map is viable for everyone, from casuals to the 0.1%.
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
3. Reduce quantity of rare drops, but improve their quality. ATM, there are many "junk" mod on rares, that are useless even at highest tier (life regen, thorns, etc), and even usful mods can roll low-level tiers with far too small numbers to have any use... That's why GGG has to throw tons of rare junk at player, to give him a chance of finding something actually useful with such a system.

Indeed. I'd like to see less drop for normal, magic, and rare items, but balanced quality of drop to reflect those items we might sell for chromes or 7 jewellers.

We have not only item creep with the items I described, but item creep from just a ton of junk dropping. We've had this problem for a long, long time, ever since running an item filter was sort of mandatory.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Apr 12, 2017, 4:34:28 PM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
munkytos wrote:
Maybe if it was a necessity to pick up all these items I could see justifying increased inventory. Manage your inventory better and stop picking up every item you don't need.
It's easy to tell when someone doesn't read a post, but just responds to the thread title, because obviously you missed this...
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
There's a reason those who play frequently in non-SSF leagues don't pick up 99% of the crap that drops. We've accepted the fact we don't pick up all of that crap, since it's just not productive to do so. Sure, we grab some of that crap early in levels, but rather quickly we're finding ourselves just picking up the most valuable items and ignoring the rest. Veterans of PoE who've played double my time here can certainly attest to that, and most likely pick up exponentially less than I do.

Lel, my point is 99% of the items you whine about being added to the game without a scaled inventory increase do not get picked up because they have zero to little value to the player.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info