[2.6] Kikazaru's Cursed Occultist--CI Soulmantle RF Totems Uber Iz, Atziri, and Guardians down

Before I start, a shout out and a link to Milky's excellent guide that got me started on RF totems from a life based point of view: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1510181. I won't be discussing the basics of how an RF totem build works, since milky has already done an excellent job of that. This build will focus on one specific application of that idea.

The current build was designed in HC to explore the idea of a CI Occultist Soulmantle-wearing RF totemist, and has been delightfully effective so far, clearing Uber Izaro and farming Atziri while in HC Legacy and clearing all four guardians in its second life in standard. (Making it only about 1/2 way through my first ever Shaper fight after that due to a bad vortex placement)

Why this build?

Spoiler

Because you love totems, particularly rf totems, but you are tired of playing a squishy life based character. Because you have always wanted to use a soul mantle in HC but feared the negative consequences. Because you like the idea of a build that can not only completely ignore every curse the game can throw at it, but welcomes them for the increased power they provide. (Maps with extra curses of any kind are a delight with this build)

Key Build Features:
1. Uses newly buffed Soul Mantle (free lvl 20 spell totem with 50% increased health link available from lvl 49 + extra totem) for early powered up righteous fire totems (since RF totem damage is based on totem health and totem health is based on totem level) and to generate curses on our character.

2. Uses dual kikazaru rings (40% curse reduction each) coupled with rezzes set to 150 (instead of 135 for a normal merc cap OR 169 for an overcap) to be able to functionally ignore the negative effects of all curses.

3. Uses a 20% increased damage per curse self-flaggellation jewel to further buff the damage of our already powered up totems.

4. Dual blasphemes Flammability and Temp chains with massively buffed AOE for good additional offensive and defensive capabilities.

5. Avoid's Ancestral bond, using dual totems only, to take simultaneous advantage of elemental equilibrium (-50% mob rez) and elemental overload (40% more damage for 8 seconds post crit) via orb of storms.

6. Because of the dramatic extra damage we get from the sources above, wields ephemeral edge and a pure ES shield for significant defense coupled with whirling blades capability.

7. Rounds out defense with discipline, vaal discipline and newly buffed Kaom's roots (yes, kaom's roots on a CI build) which have the advantage of functionally granting us stun, chill, and freeze immunity all at the same time.

8. Has the usual benefits of CI--larger damage tanking pool than a life build (10k+ ES with reasonable gear) and chaos immunity.

Attack and Defense Stats at lvl 83:
Spoiler

Attack: Cannot post you numbers, since none are provided for RF totems, but produces 2 rf totems with sufficient AOE to (together) reach nearly across the entire screen when placed next to each other, sufficient to rapidly melt trash in the T13 hexproof -max rez gorge map I ran just before posting this guide, and sufficient to make Atziri's phases relatively brief (though not instantaneous) when used with conc effect instead of inc aoe. While leveling from 49-69 (pre-ci) melts all enemies so fast there is barely time to put down the totems for non-bosses.

Defense at lvl 83

ES (with disciplione up): 11090
ES Regen (not recharge): 669/sec with stone golem (Because a totem RF build does not leech, ES regen becomes very important for general defense)

Elemental Rezzes: All 150+ (In this build, because of the dual kikazaru rings, 150 res is the point at which you are double-overcapped. That is to say, you can sustain being cursed with both ele weakness and an element specific curse in a red map and maintain 75%+ resistance.

Block: 25%
Armor: 671 5% mit or less
EV: 0 due to boots

Immunity to stun and knockback and ability to continue casting, fighting and whirling at full speed when chilled or "frozen" via kaom's roots. Don't underestimate the value of this in a CI build. I feel that, even though they provide 0 additional energy shield, kaom's roots add tremendous defensive value to the build by handling the stun/freeze/chill issue in a single slot.

Key Uniques, Current gear/jewel list, and gear/jewel priorities:
Spoiler

Key Uniques:

Soulmantle: Heart of the build. Grants a free link to lvl 20 spell totem with 50% increased totem life useable from lvl 49. Grants an extra totem without the use ancestral bond. Grants us random lvl 20 curses (used to power the self-flaggellation jewel) every time a totem goes down.

2x Kikazaru rings: Key component of build. Grants us a total of 80% reduced curse effect, allowing us to be double overcapped for red maps with elemental rezzes of only 150, and rendering all non-ele res related curses relatively trivial. Incidentally, provide some lightning res and 2ES/level of regen with zealot's oath.

Ephemeral edge: Defensively important. Provides use of whirling blades (best tactical escape in the game imo) and up to 50% increased ES.

Kaom's Roots: Defensively critical. Provides our CI build its immunity to stun and ability to ignore the effects of chill and freeze.

Self-Flagellation: Offensively important. Synergizes with soul mantle and kikazarus, providing significant offense with 20% increased damage per curse on us. In the ordinary course of play, without any particular effort, we typically will have 4-6 curses up at any given time. With minimal effort this can be brought up to 8+ curses for boss fights.

My current gear:

Because Soulmantle has relatively low ES for a CI chest piece and we are taking 0 ES on our boots and rings, maximizing the ES in our other slots, particularly helmet and shield is very important for making the build work. The shield particularly will likely be your most expensive piece of gear--well worth the investment imo, but I would not advise trying to run the build without (at a -minimum-) a 400 ES+ shield (500+ better) and a 300 ES+ helm (350+ better).

Also worth noting are that two of the jewels I am using have 50%+ in total rezzes each. Using your extra jewel slots to fill out rezzes in this way is a key component of making the build work, as I would not recommend running it at any point without double-overcapped rezzes. Having ele weakness and another elemental curse up is just too common an occurrence to do anything else. After rezzes, prioritize ES for defense and totem life for base damage.

Gem setup:
Spoiler

5L Chest: (Free spell totem)>righteous fire>M&T ele res>Elemental focus>Rapid decay>Inc Aoe/Conc eff.

Note that a leveled M&T ele res is sufficient with a totems base 40% res to reach the 75% ordinary cap. This is enough for the totem to die to RF slowly enough to be effective. Rapid decay does not really reduce the duration further, as the totem already dies to RF before it would make a difference. Ele focus also has no drawbacks for RF totems. Swap conc for Inc AOE for large, relatively stationary bosses (Atziri, vaal, Gorge, etc.) Recommend Inc AOE for Uber Iz.

4S/3L helm: Blasphemy-Flammability-Temp chains Discipline

4L Gloves: Orb of Storms-Inc crit strikes-inc duration-vaal discipline

Orb of storms is a huge damage boost, proccing both elemental overload and elemental equilibrium at the same time. Inc dur restores it to more or less pre-nerf duration. Vaal discpline, even post-nerf, still makes us virtually invincible for nearly 5 seconds when linked to a leveled inc dur.

3L Weapon

Whirling blades-faster attacks-summon stone golem

3L Shield

CWDT (lvl 1)-arctic breath (lvl 4) - GMP (any lvl)

Arctic breath on a low cost CWDT is dual purpose, being an extra way to proc EE and spreading ground ice which, when coupled with our blasphemed temp chains, slows melee range enemies to a comfortable crawl. Very powerful defensive combination, imo.

Boots get no sockets in this build

Flasks:
Spoiler

I do not feel I have optimized flasks for this build yet, but I am currently using:

Perpetual ruby flask of dousing
Experimenter's stibnite flask of staunching
Experimenter's granite flask of grounding
Experimenter's basalt flask of staunching
Experimenter's topaz flask of grounding

The flasks reflect my current feeling that the greatest dangers presented to this build feel like shock and bleed. Bleed in particular can cause our ES to drop with alarming rapidity, and a staunching flask should be popped well before it is needed when coming into contact with enemies that can cause bleed.

Link to current passive tree at 83:
Spoiler

http://poeplanner.com/AAYAAOcTAgBx34rpAkuuGyXZW20ZEVA1uacrl_RSUz1fl5VMs9Af7-sEBx8CMjSvt4dlNsXYJFZIpwjr7jLRRUfAZjwF73yf35o7gpsc3I8auJMo-pitj0YdFPrSFy9k51XWgKRmnljlwxOCx_noaHTaYhhWV8kNfOq6tAxGcYMJ4Ygdqv5JytO-iqEvkyfviPk3189JsX_GEZYHHpUu8NVJUcHF7BgsvxXXhq5WYw5ItzDoWiaIflna3Yt6AW_i94RIXGvDbRJpFxxxeZ2uA3WRK18EtzGMdvfBfPCRB0J6enC7_BV-xvd-oQAAAAAA

As I level above 83, there are a variety of good options for future nodes including, but not limited to the Alchemy cluster, the 14% totem damage node below Ancestral bond, the 6% each ES wheel, the first two witch shield nodes, and the Influence cluster.

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal: Help Kraityn (We need every bit of help with rezzes we can get on this build and the extra 10% rez all here is great)

Cruel: Kill all or Kraityn (I went for the skill point, but the extra atk speed would improve whirling blades speed--also a reasonable choice)

Merc: Kill all (No charges used in this build)

Occultist Ascendancies, in order taken:
Spoiler

Wicked ward (Excellent defensively, makes build feel better while leveling as a hybrid until the switch can be made to CI

Profane Bloom (10% inc damage taken on cursed enemies is a nice boost)

Malediction (Allows us to maintain two curses without needing whispers of doom

Two 8% ES nodes (Because it is our totems doing the killing 99% of the time, we get more defensive benefit from simply taking two 8% ES nodes than from any of the remaining Ascendancy keystones)

Leveling plan:
Spoiler

1-19: Choose your favorite aoe spell skill. Really anything will do. My personal favorite is the combo of orb of storms and lightning tendrils. Begin by pathing up to deep wisdom, turn left to grab the aoe nodes, then make your way down toward retribution in the templar area. As you are leveling, you will want to pick up the most efficient life nodes you find yourself near, temporarily. This will make your leveling process far easier than trying to go straight CI from the beginning, which is not advised.

20-48: Grab two axiom perpetuum sceptres, a hrimsorrow gloves and any pair of berek's rings (cheap ones, usally pass and grip). all of these add flat damage to spells. If you are using orb of storms and lightning tendrils (with a recommended decoy totem) you will be able to laugh at your enemies through most of this section of leveling. Grab the rest of the central templar nodes, then proceed to sovereignty in the upper left. Leave zealots oath until after you are fully CI. Leave Holy fire and the two totem nodes for the last nodes you take prior to hitting 49. Ele equilibrium can wait until later, it is not really needed until maps. Proceed across foresight and grab the leadership cluster, which will significantly boost your blasphemed curse's aoe. You may consider speccing up to whispers of doom to run both curses until you can spec back out after merc lab when you get malediction.

49-69: At 49 you equip soulmantle and the kikazaru's and the game is on. Now is also a good time to grab ephemeral edge. Make sure you are double-overcapping your rezzes at this stage. I recommend speccing into the purity of flesh cluster, as you are going to be at your most fragile to chaos damage during this section, when you are effectively running as a hybrid. Consider also looking for a little chaos res on at least one or two pieces of gear during this part of the process. Begin to fill out the ES portion of your tree. Grab kaom's roots at 62

69+: You are ready to respec into CI. Equip your ES shield and helm (crystal belt waits for 79), spec out of your life clusters and take the entire CI cluster at once, also grabbing zealots oath on the opposite side. Then start to fill out your ES and regen nodes--Growth and decay is an excellent multipurpose attack/regen node at this stage. The additional fire damage nodes can be taken when you get up to high maps, as you wont feel much need for them until then.

Final thoughts:
I have done many life based totem builds, but this is my first real CI build and I have been enjoying it immensely. If any of you find inspiration to try a variation on it, I am most pleased. If any of you who are more experienced with CI builds have feedback, I would welcome it. Thanks again to Milky for providing the inspiration for this variation!
Last edited by Orion72 on Apr 29, 2017, 4:24:08 AM
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2017, 4:10:26 AM
Overall a good take on the build with CI, i am tempted to do one in the next league as well, maybe with a few changes... but havent theorycrafted a lot about it yet.

First thing i noticed, you havent linked your amulet :P

I think a chayula would be overall better than kaoms roots for dem extra links.

Having no fortify in the whirling blades setup seems a bit strange to me as well.

On the skilltree i would probably pick a 3 point jewel over firewalker, except you need the resists.

The main difference offensive wise compared to my lifebased one is that you got way less totemlife and totemresists which need good compensation via jewels in the long run. A focus on jewelslots seems like the best choice as the next step.

edit: i was thinking about necromancer ci rf totems over occultist for the block, autocurse via spectres, the scourge as a dmg source, meatshields etc, but occultist has the insane es regen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Mar 30, 2017, 11:48:05 AM
Re amulet: Must've been half-asleep when made the original post. Edited to include ammy.

Re no fort in WB: Because I used kaoms and was short slots, this was a place I could slot in the golem. The sacrifice of fort in this build didn't seem too bad, as I am usually not whirling through packs. That said, you are clearly correct that if we free up the boots, fort would usually go in this slot.

Re Chayula vs. Kaoms: I will look at this. Definitely some trade offs, as you will need a flask to deal with freeze/chill if using chayula instead of kaom. Also a little harder to get the needed resists & strength (for golem & inc dur) on the boots at the same time vs. getting them on an ammy, since ammy can get the str implicit and the res all mod. On the flip side, 4 extra gem slots+ enough ES to potentially be worth around 1k additional means you are probably right that it would be better to use chayula+flask instead of kaoms, as long as one can work out the resists and strength.

Re Damage: Build attempts to make up the difference in base totem life with the soul mantle 50% buff and the well rolled self-flag+curses mechanic. That said, your advice to work on jewel slots for totem life next for the upper level dps wanted for T15+ is well taken.

Many thanks for having a look at it Milky. I very much appreciated your original guide to RF totems!
not sure it would be much viable endgame, you are losing shittons of damage compare to berzerker, and not gain much defensiv-wise.
IGN TylordRampage
Re Not viable endgame:

Uncertain of this. Feel like you may be underestimating what we get on offense out of self-flag & the 50% inc totem life on the Soulmantle. May not equal the Zerker's 40% more mod, but is substantial. Also feel you may be underestimating the extra defense of a high ES pool versus the 'Zerker's life pool (with increaesed damage taken in exchange for that 40% more damage mod). Consider the update below:

Build update today:

Did take milky's advice and swapped in ES boots for Kaom's, Eye of Chayula for Ammy, and added a heat flask. Also upgraded gloves, with resulting gear as follows:

New ES stats at lvl 86:

ES: 13262
ES Regen 762/sec

Current achievements:

Atziri=farmable
Uber Iz=farmable
T15 Abyss with inc monster damage, temp chains, vuln and some random other rolls completed without difficulty.

I have not yet had a chance to play in T16s or against shaper or Uber Atziri, but the build definitely has run up against no roadblocks through T15. We'll see how it proceeds.
was thinking of making a ES one in 3.0 (yea kinda got bored of PoE now so stopped) and I've decided to still claim all the totem life nodes available.

My Tree as follows:
Spoiler
http://poeplanner.com/AAcAAP8TAAB934rpAkuuGyXZW20ZEVA1uacrl_RSUz1fl5VMs9Af7-si9GwLkyd_xsHF7BgsvxXXhq5WY4hCHdlDVPRxvorqug18oS9XySj6mK24kxzc6-58g6eUXl3R_Y8apwiPRh0UEmkXHHF52CRWSPrSZp5Y5cMTWityD5RvZlSdrgN1kStfBFnzrKpyqfcy6hj46xRxDjwsp_aueGnE9sauEMwrtoxG-JM3g6brLKY3ZjQKNsWLegFv4veESFxrw233wdrd891oZfObVw3SIZ7NpzCfyxcvZOdV1oCkytO0DEZx4Ygdqv5JcLvZEy9vu_wVfnzwkQdCenpwxvcaSAAAAAAA

Apart from not getting Freeze immunity, you can get unwavering stance, more totem life and not only that, use the unique jewel at the jewel node near the bottom of the tree for 24% totem life. Maybe something to consider aight? :x

Edit: Yea I know kinda not efficient but Totem Life + Stun Immunity from the tree alone sounds nice (besides... RF totems doesnt exactly need *much* investment lmao)
Last edited by luciel_kun27 on Apr 2, 2017, 4:43:38 AM
This build looks very interesting. Im a big fan of totems and of Occultists so I'll give it a try. One quick question, why do you skip ancestral bond? You know that Orb of storms still proc ele equi and ele overload even when it does no damage? U only need to hit not to inflict damage for both proccs. Is there any other reason why you skipped it then the below?

"
Orion72 wrote:

5. Avoid's Ancestral bond, using dual totems only, to take simultaneous advantage of elemental equilibrium (-50% mob rez) and elemental overload (40% more damage for 8 seconds post crit) via orb of storms.

Oos will proc ele overload without inflicting damage. Per the wiki (verified by experimentation) it will not proc EE without inflicting damage. EE requires a damaging hit. Ele overload only requires a Crit.
Uhh thx, never factcheck it in wiki. Just followed it since I read it in a guide long ago... Upps! :)

*edit*
Just thought about... couldnt you just use lightning trap + cluster traps? Im not sure if giving up 2 slots would equal a 3rd totem?
Last edited by Gambit79 on Apr 27, 2017, 1:26:21 PM
Could use oos for Crit and lightning trap for ee. My feeling is that this becomes inefficient in actual play, and we actually get pretty decent area coverage (most of the screen vertically) from just two totems, given the buff to rf aoe. Hence my choice. Ymmv.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info