Help me quit smoking *NOW 6 WEEKS*

Exactly ^
I stopped to smoke 2 years ago after 17 years with around 35 cigarettes per days at worse. I had many attempts at stopping but only one worked.

Change your habits, and don't transform this effort to a pain just take it easy drink more water, spend less time in addictive situation at the begin ( gaming, sports, alcohol, etc ... ) and do something else.

There is a market for peoples that want to stop smocking, but with all i tried ( from nicotine patch to hypnosis ) i can tell you i got scammed harder than in PoE do not waste your time with that just do it, it's a daily effort but at the end you will be REALLY happy to stop, healthy, and feel that's a great reward.

I'm not saying everything that can help you to stop is bad, just saying you don't even need that to stop, well take some advices from your doctor anyway it's important to have his opinion.

Now i'm able to run during 1 hour or more with ease ( took some practice ofc ) while before i was almost feeling dying while running 10 minutes.

Just do it ! And if you fail it's more or less the same than in PoE, learn from your mistakes, try again.
Hf :)
DONT STOP COLD FEET

Your going to slowly stop smoking. A slow processs... Do not just stop all together. You will cause unrepairable physical and psychological drama to your body.

I'm giving you $30,000 rehab advice. My friend went through severe withdrawals ending up in the hospital. It's very simple, once a week, than maybe once every two weeks. You want to have a schedule, gradually ending smoking. Eventually your body will start rejecting the cigarettes. It's very different for everyone.

Go to the gym, exercise get a hobby distract your mind. Tell people to stop smoking in front of you or leave... Get a physical, ask your doctor if there are any health risks in exercising because obviously can your lungs handle the pressure?

Be smart about it... No one is judging you everyone has a form of an addiction some more harmful than others.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
DONT STOP COLD FEET

Your going to slowly stop smoking. A slow processs... Do not just stop all together. You will cause unrepairable physical and psychological drama to your body.

I'm giving you $30,000 rehab advice. My friend went through severe withdrawals ending up in the hospital. It's very simple, once a week, than maybe once every two weeks. You want to have a schedule, gradually ending smoking. Eventually your body will start rejecting the cigarettes. It's very different for everyone.

Go to the gym, exercise get a hobby distract your mind. Tell people to stop smoking in front of you or leave... Get a physical, ask your doctor if there are any health risks in exercising because obviously can your lungs handle the pressure?

Be smart about it... No one is judging you everyone has a form of an addiction some more harmful than others.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
All of the advice for the OP is nice, but keep in mind what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

Cold turkey.
Vaping.
Chewing gum.
Nicorette.
Distraction.
Therapist (hypnosis, conditioning).
etc.

Each of these works for some, but not all. Just go with what sounds doable to you and try it. And if that doesn't work, try something else. Don't stop trying to quit.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Mar 28, 2017, 1:46:56 PM
So may true posts here already. I also want to share my experience when i quit smoking after 10 years a couple of years ago.
First of all, you need to make yourself clear that addiction to nicotin is taking place mentally and physically.
Second, it doesn´t make sense trying to quit smoking when you do not really want it 100%. But if really wanna quit, then you can start it.
Third, it is hard to quit if your mind wants but the body asks for it. So, get yourself another source of nicotine for a couple of months. Patches worked for me quite well, as you do not get another bad habbit by using vaps or so...you simply put them on and they will take care about your physical demand for nicotine during the day. Now this helps you to get rid of your personal habits, e.g. if you wake up in the morning, get a cigarette, or if you´re driving in your car, or after a beer/food/whatever. It makes it easier to get your mind free of those demands - as your physical demand is covered by the patches. Now after a while (may really depend on each one, for me it took about 4 weeks) you may notice that you less and less think about smoking in various situations. If that happens, take a less "powerfull" patch...continue a few more weeks (or how long it takes for you). You will more and more recognize, that you do not need the cigarettes anymore. Still, you haven´t done it yet. One more time, reduce the strength of the patches or start putting them on not each day, but each second/third day. Carefully watch your mind if you reduce the nicotine input. If it doen´t care your mind, you`re on a good way. Keep reducing the days you wear patches to that limit that you only wear it when you come close to situations were you previously immediately stared smoking, e.g. when having BBQ with friends or so. Now, at some point you will find yourself sick of the patches and you do not think about cigarettes. That´s the point when you can really stop using them (always have for the first year after a couple of them with you, just in case).
If you managed to stop, enjoy other things, enjoy the smell/tase of things around you.

And last but not least:
Remember that you will be a smoker for your whole life, at the moment you are a smoker who does not smoke. Absolutely avoid even trying 1 cigarette "just for fun" - it will cause you to get back to smoking. For sure. So many people did not take care about that. I was "clean" for 5 years and stared smoking again as my GF at that timer smoked and for some reason when we drank some wine/beer, i was first taking an inhale, then a cigarette, then more cigarettes and after a few months i bought a pack of cigs again. Avoid it at any costs !
I will also take another step to quit this year, just wasn´t mentally prepared the last few years. But now i feel ready to really want to quit and i know how it will work for me. And then i will never touch a cig again.
Thank you all for your support and advice.
I have decided I will try both the vaping and the gum/lozenges to fight at least for the first 2-3 weeks, then try to ease down, then get off the chemical dependency (since my intention is not to switch from one habit to another). I have decided to make some changes at the same time to hopefully make it easier:

1 Work out more. A lot. I hope I don't have a heart attack but oh well.
2 Stay away from smokers.
3 Drink lots of water and switch my morning coffee for a time to tea since I don't have the association with tea.

Scrotie wrote
"
I'm probably a jerk
No, not really, well maybe sometimes ... LOL

"

Manocean wrote:
every time you want a cigarette, jerk it
I don't know about this method, I'm not as young as I used to be. Actually, don't think I was ever that young.

"
Temper wrote
Here's how I quit smoking,your mileage may vary.

I had a massive heart attack and officially died on the table ... I cried thinking about what my 8 year old son was going through as I lay their dying .. and when I came back to life I had quit smoking.

True story bro

I'm glad you quit! That is a sad but inspiring story. Best of health to you!

And Bars, trust me I will try to think about literally anything else!

"
as_69 wrote
Remember that you will be a smoker for your whole life, at the moment you are a smoker who does not smoke. Absolutely avoid even trying 1 cigarette "just for fun" - it will cause you to get back to smoking.

I agree with this 100%. I think this is why some people who quit go back. My belief is that there is a nicotine addiction gene which some of us have (I do) and some don't. I have known many over the years that could just pick up cigs and put them down (we have all seen those people that only smoke at parties). Obviously, I would not be in this predicament if I didn't have this gene. I hate those people! GRRR Just jealous.

In any event, I will return to this thread, with your kind indulgence next week and report on my progress and how bad it is, etc.

Failure is not an option.

Edited to add: THANK GOD I'm not a puff n' play as someone amusingly put it. We have had and do have a strict no smoking rule in our computer room/office so I don't associate playing any games with smoking. I used to years ago when I was a console player. I will live in Wraeclast when I'm not working out. Wraeclast where no one smokes but everyone dies!

Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on Mar 29, 2017, 1:37:59 PM

Whatever method(s) you use and try, the important thing is that you're going to do it. Go man go!

I hope you don't mind me stealing that last line for a while :)
"
cipher_nemo wrote:

Therapist (hypnosis, conditioning)

It wasn't even a therapist. Saw an ad in the newspaper for a "stop smoking seminar" for 50 bucks. So I took a chance, wasn't really wanting to quit but for health reasons I needed to. The speaker talked for about 20 mins and the lights dimmed and he started a mass hypnosis session with the 40ish people that attended. It seemed to take about 5 mins but in actuality we were "under" for about 45 mins.

When I said it's like flipping a switch, that's quite the understatement. Getting into the car to leave the seminar I couldn't believe how horrible the car smelled of smoke. I had the same reaction to my house, it was so bad. As a smoker you don't notice how bad you and your things smell.

@Kolyaboo: Please don't dismiss hypnosis as "voodoo", it's quite a real thing and if you're in the percentage of people that can be hypnotized it can greatly benefit you. If you'd like to know more, read the link below.

Science reveals that hypnosis is real.

@Solwitch: Sounds like your friend was quitting something other than cigarettes or he was a special case. Or he was a super heavy smoker. I was smoking 2 packs a day (sometimes it got up to 5 packs as ridiculous as that may seem) and at it's worse the only side effect of quitting that remotely affected me was waking up with cold sweats for a few nights. Same goes for the other 2 people that I went with to the seminar.

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
Just go with what sounds doable to you and try it. And if that doesn't work, try something else. Don't stop trying to quit.

That's about the best advice in this thread. :)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
You can just invite me to live with you in your house and I will punch you in the mouth every time you think about a cigarette. Guaranteed to make you quit smoking. I will purposely carry around a full pack of cigarettes in my front pocket for you to gaze upon and a single cigarette behind my ear. If I notice you even looking at my cigarettes, I will pop you in the mouth. You talk about cigarettes, I will pop you in the mouth. It's a foolproof way to quit smoking.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info