New to the game, could use some guidance

Hey all,

New to the game, just started playing PoE about a week ago but I am a big fan of this game. I used to play a lot of Diablo 2 back in the day, so when I found Path of Exile I immediately got hit with nostalgia and I would like to get into it.

My primary concerns at the moment:

1) I don't really know what gems to be leveling up

2) I don't know what kind of gear (plate mail etc.) to be using

3) I don't know what skills to level up in my tree

I'd like to use the champion I have now (level 32 templar) in end game without having to reroll but I'm afraid that the skills I've chosen will likely force me to reroll. Is there any way to link my skill tree to the forum?

Thus far the way I clear is I summon 3 zombies and have them tank some damage while I place a flame totem that clears mostly everything. I use flammability for extra damage and molten shell for extra protection just in case. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last bumped on Mar 29, 2017, 3:17:46 AM
My first bit of advice would be to not get tied to a character so much at the beginning. You will mess up your tree and skills like all of us did the first time. Take this time to find out what skills you like, then go from there.

Some very simple advice at the start is experiment with links in your gear. There are sockets where you place the gem, and links that go from socket to socket. The higher the links, the harder it is to get. Most items have 3-4 possible sockets/links. Chest pieces and 2h items can have up to 6. Example is Flame totem linked with faster casting, added lightning, or controlled destruction. At the top of the gem it will say what type it is, there you can see what type it is: Melee, AOE, Fire, Spell. So say you put melee physical dmg with fire totem, it will do nothing since melee only effects a Melee skill.

Gear will depend more on the late game aspect. There are a few ways to go:
Life and armor - this you will want maximum life, and lots of resistances while using armor based pieces. 75% resistance is your maximum (it gets penalties in higher difficulties same as diablo). Chaos resistance isnt so important till late late game.

Life and Evasion - same with armor, only you will want evasion gear/dodge chance. This is kinda low survivability atm as people still get one shot.

Energy shield - For caster types, energy shield is expensive, but provides a lot of defense. There are many ES nodes, but dont try to grab them all, just nice clusters along the way in your tree. Eventually in the 70s ES players will want to get Chaos Inoculation in the far upper right corner of the tree, as it protects your health from chaos dmg, but you have 1 life. Very powerful atm. You will again want your resistances to max.

Int armor gets blue sockets easier, Str gets red, Evasion gets Green. Hybrids get both. If you find it hard to have a mix of red and blue skills in 1 piece, try finding a Str/Int piece of armor.

For skills, experiment! Like zombies? get them some minion damage/melee physical dmg support gems linked to summon zombies. Like big AE spells like flameblast? Link it with Increased AE for bigger radius, or Concentrated effect for smaller radius but bigger damage.

For your skill tree... Well thats gonna take some planning. Dont be scared to stay in your general starting area. Take long straight paths to other parts of the tree for bigger nodes, they often provide way more benefit. Be wary of the GIANT nodes, they can give great advantages, or very harmful side effects you dont want.

Have fun above all! This is a game to experiment with.
Last edited by TheBroccoli on Mar 28, 2017, 5:29:32 AM
Same advice here, while it is possible to adjust your Tree with Orbs of Regret, it's often easier and cheaper (and thus faster) to make a new one, especially at lower lvls. I think i went through eight Templars and five Witches before I had an Idea how to Build them.

That said there is no harm in keeping your current one, id you made your passive tree in a way that fits your current playstile, there is likely nothing wrong with it.

For your current playstile I advice Ancestral Bond on the upper left of the tree. It disables you from dealing direct damage, but you are not doing that anyway. In return you can place a second Totem. Two fire totem really do damage, but youc an also place a shokwave totem for protection or an aura totem to buff your zombies. YOu won't deal any damage with Molten Shell, but you can replace that with Arctic Armor. (physical reduction is better than armor anyway)

As for gear, don't go Evasion that's litterally the opposite side of the skill spectrum for the Templar. The option I went with is ES and Armor, which is pretty much what the Templar is supposed to go for. (ES is pretty much the same as Life)

Also check out pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system there is a recipe for a minion helmet. If you get a helmet with four linked sockets and put minion life/damage/speed support together wikh your minion of choice you get some really powerfull minions that are stronger than normal for your lvl.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info