Constant Lag Spikes (game is NOT playable)

Hello,

I get constant lag spikes at around 5sec intervals, spiking up to 1500ms. Problem happens regardless of peak hours or not.
Some thing I tried: launcher setting --nopreload --noasync --nosound --softwareaudio, changing all sound/graphic settings, changing MTU. Nothing worked AT ALL.
Can any1 tell me what the problem is and how to solve it ? Thanks

Additional information:
-wired connection (through router)
-No background programs/not sharing with any1
-problem persists on ALL gateways
-game is allowed through firewall (disabling firewall/antivirus does NOT change anything)
-tried both steam client and standalone -> same problem
-specs: i7 6700k, 16gb ram, gtx 960ti, win10
-game is intalled on SSD (in the default prog files folder and on the same drive as win10)

Here are some WinMTR results:

Amsterdam
http://pastebin.com/raw/2rDd5kpg

Frankfurt
http://pastebin.com/raw/ZuUdYxw1

Last edited by Creohan on Mar 27, 2017, 3:56:15 AM
Last bumped on Mar 30, 2017, 5:23:04 AM
"
Creohan wrote:
I get constant lag spikes at around 5sec intervals, spiking up to 1500ms.

(...)

Amsterdam

Frankfurt

There is nothing wrong with your connectivity according to those WinMTR results. Some packet prioritization, which is normal, but the final target returns all ping requests and overall latency is fine.

So I'd focus your troubleshooting on your local system.

If you're getting lag spikes of 1.5 seconds every 5 seconds or so, it sounds like you have some malware that keeps uploading or downloading data on a regular basis. Or you could have torrent software installed, and have not completely removed it from your system. Either way, I'd run HijackThis and compare your results online (or remove items yourself if you know they're not supposed to be there), then use a reputable antimalware/antivirus software. If you're willing to pay for a good package, I'd recommend ESET's NOD32.

You seem to be knowledgeable about your system, so I'm sure you could handle the HijackThis troubleshooting on your own. :-)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Mar 27, 2017, 12:31:09 PM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
Creohan wrote:
I get constant lag spikes at around 5sec intervals, spiking up to 1500ms.

(...)

Amsterdam

Frankfurt

There is nothing wrong with your connectivity according to those WinMTR results. Some packet prioritization, which is normal, but the final target returns all ping requests and overall latency is fine.

So I'd focus your troubleshooting on your local system.

If you're getting lag spikes of 1.5 seconds every 5 seconds or so, it sounds like you have some malware that keeps uploading or downloading data on a regular basis. Or you could have torrent software installed, and have not completely removed it from your system. Either way, I'd run HijackThis and compare your results online (or remove items yourself if you know they're not supposed to be there), then use a reputable antimalware/antivirus software. If you're willing to pay for a good package, I'd recommend ESET's NOD32.

You seem to be knowledgeable about your system, so I'm sure you could handle the HijackThis troubleshooting on your own. :-)

Hello and thank you for taking the time to reply to my post :)
As you recommended I have began an investigation using "HijackThis". After searching a bit for ways to fix what the program reported as being "bad" I have come up with a list of programs that aimed to fix those said problems. (also checked all the entries in the HijackThis.log to verify each and every1 of them)

Here is a list of all the programs I have ran/installed:
-Comodo Internet Security (my default anti-virus/firewall)
-Spybot Search&Destroy (my default anti-malware)
-AdwCleaner (which found some minor stuff)
-Malwarebytes (which found more minor stuff)
-Junkware Removal Tool (came up empty)
-FarBar Recovery Scan tool (came up empty)
-Security Check by screen317 (reported all good)
EDIT: also did SFC and it came up all good

After all this, the problem seems to have gotten worse...

If you or any1 else have other suggestions for me, they would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Last edited by Creohan on Mar 28, 2017, 5:17:09 AM
I had similar graphs for latency and found that when other devices in the house are streaming youtube - that you tube would have regular, short bursts that utilized 100% of the available bandwidth. At the time we had 50mb service to and the youtube streams consumed alot less than that. Every few seconds just like your graphs.... I watched the graphs from my router and they correlated to exact the lag spikes in POE... Solutions was to prioritize traffic from the 2 gaming computers over other traffic also other streaming services didn't seem to have this problem. ie: Netflix seems to smooth out the bandwidth much better.

"
Blakslab wrote:
I had similar graphs for latency and found that when other devices in the house are streaming youtube - that you tube would have regular, short bursts that utilized 100% of the available bandwidth. At the time we had 50mb service to and the youtube streams consumed alot less than that. Every few seconds just like your graphs.... I watched the graphs from my router and they correlated to exact the lag spikes in POE... Solutions was to prioritize traffic from the 2 gaming computers over other traffic also other streaming services didn't seem to have this problem. ie: Netflix seems to smooth out the bandwidth much better.

Hello and thx for your reply :)
Thing is, I don't have any background programs open. No browsers, no torrents...no kind of streaming whatsoever.

Could you or any1 else recommend a (free) software that would allow me to see those graphs so that I may be able to at least determine what exactly causes those lag spikes ?

Thanks!
Last edited by Creohan on Mar 30, 2017, 3:22:18 AM
I'm having exactly the same issue at the moment :S tried getting rid of the loot filter and acquisition in case it was them causing issues but its still bad. I Play through steam now and was wondering if that was the problem?

It happens whether i have programs running in the background or not, whether someone else is using the internet or not, so im going to assume its probably the files themselves or something else on my pc causing it, but not sure what to do to find out what could be doing it! any more advice from more technically minded people would be great :D
"
Creohan wrote:
If you or any1 else have other suggestions for me, they would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

"
Creohan wrote:

Could you or any1 else recommend a (free) software that would allow me to see those graphs so that I may be able to at least determine what exactly causes those lag spikes ?

Thanks!

*bump*

EDIT: tried VPN "Battleping". Did NOT help me at all...
Last edited by Creohan on Mar 30, 2017, 5:21:44 AM
!!!!! SOLVED !!!!!

Guys, I did it!!!
What worked for me was to DISABLE "AsusGameFirstService" ! (you could probably remove it also)
After that the game works P E R F E C T L Y !!! :D

Hope this helps some of you out there :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info