A'alai - The Fall of the Vaal [Fan Fiction]

Hey,
I started this story for the talent competition back in december but never had a chance to finish it. I am now continuing where I left off.
I realise that the lore may not line up totally with some of the known lore about the vaal but this story formed in my head when I was reading about the cataclysm and I felt like sharing it with the community.
If you would like to make a suggestion for my next story, which will be accurate to the lore, please let me know as I have not yet decided but I am curently considering either a pre-exile story in Oriath or a long story about Daresso and Merveil.

Currently available: Chapters 1 & 2. Chapter 3 (and possibly 4 if needed) in progress.

UPDATE: I am still tweaking and editing chapter 2 and I am tempted to rewrite some of the cheesy dialogue in chapter 1 so chapter 3 might take a little longer. Currently it is about 20-30% done and chapter 4 seems more and more likely as there are parts of the story I would like to expand on.

UPDATE 2: Chapter 1 revision is mostly complete and has been updated. Some parts may still change but only after I finish the whole story.

Chapter 1 - The Guardians
Spoiler
Haviri raised his hammer and brought it down in a forceful but deliberate swing upon the metal of the blade. Sparks flew across is forge and he beheld his work in their brief light. A new axe for the executioner was all Doryani had tasked him with but he had something special in mind. The blade of the axe had been imbued with green copper and red ochre that gave it a majesty deserving of the task it would perform. This was to be his gift to the great Queen Atziri.
The sound of hammering steel on steel left the forge and the gentle sounds of the forest seeped back into Haviri’s world. His daughter, A'alai, suddenly rushed through the door to behold the completed axe head, knowing he must have completed his work.
‘Oooh it’s so beautiful!’ she exclaimed.
‘Of course it is’ he replied softly ‘after all, the colours were your idea.’

She was a beautiful girl. He also knew that because of this, she may soon be chosen to work in the service of the Queen herself. Only the most beautiful were chosen to serve in the Queen’s inner sanctum, but he did not want that kind of life for A’alai. He had spoken to the families of those who had been chosen in the past. None had seen their child again following the selection ceremony. He hoped he could make a case to Doryani for A’alai to stay with him when he presented the new axe.
He took the equally ornate axe handle from the shelf next to the anvil and set about fitting the blade to it. The night was young and with some luck he would complete his task before the sun rose.
That night he began to make his way to the Apex in the City to present his work and make his request. It was still dark but the moon was swollen and lit his way. Tomorrow is the harvest moon, he thought absent mindedly, a time of celebration and joy for all as the season of plenty begins.
He followed the newly made path winding through the forest, occasionally passing through towns and farmsteads which he would usually visit to find his work. But today he was looking for a chance to meet with Doryani before the daily rituals began. And he was making good time.

Haviri arrived at the Apex before the sun was high in the sky as he made his way to the thaumaturgist’s quarters on a rise near the long steps up to the Apex. It was much larger than the surrounding buildings and its façade was covered in intricate stonework and gold leaf, depicting the creation of the first virtue gems.
The sounds coming from behind the stone slab door would have turned away most potential visitors but Haviri knew, this was the sound of Doryani’s Portal that gave him direct access to the inner sanctum of the Apex. As he entered the room it caught his eye as it always did, glowing red and swirling into a pitch-black void at the centre, it was a marvel to behold. But then a new artefact caught his eye, one which he had never seen before, though he recognised the metal that had been used as his own.
He remembered that a few years ago, he had been contracted to create an insulated golden gauntlet for what he had at the time assumed to be a statue or golem. It was now releasing bright blue streaks of lightning from gems that the thaumaturgist had seemingly crafted onto it. Engraved upon the metal he could make out a passage from the sacred texts: ‘The light without pales in comparison to the light within’.

‘Isn’t it wondrous?’ came Doryani’s voice from across the room. ‘I found a way to trap the essence of thaumaturgy inside this gauntlet without the use of a virtue gem, allowing the wielder to unleash the power of thaumaturgic lightning at will. Any man will be able to wield these powers when using a device such as this one.’
He turned to greet his guest as he spoke leaving whatever fascinating new creation he was now working on hidden behind him.
‘I don’t really like the idea of thaumaturgy in the hands of a person who would be unable to control thaumaturgic energy without it. Nothing good can come of it and besides, it is a dangerous force.’ Haviri replied.
‘The Queen and I believe it may one day be necessary. But you know I always value your opinion Haviri, but you should feel some pride for your part in the creation of this mighty tool. But enough of my work, how have you fared with your own task? Is the new axe ready?’
‘I have it right here.’
Haviri removed the protective covers from the massive axe and placed it on the table for Doryani to inspect.
‘Marvellous!’ he proclaimed ‘The Queen has often praised your work and now I see why. I should imbue the blade to make it a little lighter though, otherwise the executioner may resign or worse, ask for your head!’ he grinned.
‘I would be grateful for that!’ Haviri laughed ‘But I came seeking another favour of a slightly more delicate nature.’
‘Of course. What do you need?’
‘My daughter A’alai is at selection age and I was hoping you could ask the Queen if she would allow her to remain at my side. She wants to learn my craft and I do not have any sons to pass it down to. She is my only legacy.’
Doryani stared at Haviri for a short while before replying.
‘Queen Atziri does not have patience for sentimentality and you should realise that she may resent even the notion of your interfering in the selection process? This is a dangerous question to ask.’
‘Please, the axe should buy me enough favour with her to at least hear me out. I would not ask if this were a mere whim. Let her know that A'alai is vital to my handiwork.’
‘Fine, be it on your head. I will relay your request but I must return to my work now. I will see you again soon.’
‘Thank you Doryani. See you soon.’
The sprawling city surrounding the Apex was full of life in anticipation of the harvest moon celebrations and upcoming selection ceremony and Haviri wanted to take the opportunity to arrange his next metal shipment so that he could get to work as soon as he returned to his forge. A few days remained before the ceremony and A’alai would join him soon to be made presentable for the Queen.

Noon, the day of selection. The sun glistened across the Vertex covering the towering Queen’s face. She stood in the Square of Zerphi, beholding the gathered girls and boys offered before her. A’alai was among them, staring at the beautiful young Queen before her. Haviri had told her once the Queen was over 100 years old but her features now were those of a young woman. She decided Haviri must have been telling her stories again but she couldn’t help wondering if there could some truth to those stories.
The Queen, satisfied with her choices turned and whispered them into Doryani’s ear before disappearing into the portal that he had been opened for her. As the portal closed behind the queen, the tension in the air only became greater. Many families would gain the great honour of giving their child into the service of their beautiful queen. Others would be dishonoured and shamed by not being selected.
Doryani opened another portal, this one glowing a fierce orange and yellow, and began walking among the gathered youths. Some he sent some to their new life in service of the Queen and others back to their families to a live a common life. When he reached A’alai, he briefly glanced towards Haviri with a grimace on his face before sending her through the portal.
Haviri’s heart stopped. As she disappeared through the portal, he could do nothing but watch. Protesting the Queen’s decision would have been a crime greater than any other so he kept quiet. Soon, the selection ceremony had been completed and Haviri, not knowing what else to do, returned to his forge in the forest trying not to let his anger get the better of him.
That night, he was woken by the harsh buzz of thaumaturgy outside his house. Doryani must have arrived and was awaiting him outside. Haviri was furious and ready to unleash it at his old friend without mercy. He rushed downstairs to hear what excuse the thaumaturgist could conjure up.
‘What did you do?!’ He shouted
‘Calm down please Haviri. There was nothing I could do. The Queen heard your request but upon seeing your daughter she decided to take her for a special project she has me working on. There was no way I could have dissuaded her. I’m sorry.’
‘A project? What, are you to experiment on her? Mutilate her?’ Haviri screamed.
‘All I can tell you is that you may see her again someday but she will now always be in the Queen’s service. Be content with that.’ He was now becoming angry as well ‘You seem to have forgotten your place and the incredible honour the Queen has bestowed upon you and your girl. I will visit again if I have any news I can share. Until then, I suggest you busy yourself with work and try to forget.’
Doryani turned to leave, pausing before the portal.
‘She was pleased with your axe.’ He said in a much softer tone before disappearing into the swirling void.

A’alai was shown into a large chamber with two young boys that had also been selected that day. The younger one she didn’t know but the older was Q’ura, the son of one of Haviri’s clients. They were as terrified as she was. The floor was stained red with blood and in the centre of the room she saw three stone slabs covered with thaumaturgic symbols and gems. She briefly wondered if these were the virtue gems that her father once told her about.
Her thoughts turned to fear once again as the guards motioned them to lie down on the slabs and set about shackling them to the stone. There was no escaping whatever fate the Queen had in store for them.
Hours passed and the three youths lay upon the stone silently awaiting their fate. Finally, the Queen and the thaumaturgist Doryani entered the chamber followed by a procession of people, young and old. A’alai noted that they had been shackled together in three groups as they were positioned in the three corners of the chamber, each at the foot of one of the stone slabs.
The queen walked up to the three youths and removed her mask. What she saw surprised A’alai despite rumours of her great beauty which was both glorious and terrifying. A face of silky smooth skin and fierce piercing eyes beneath a finely woven mass of dark hair. A’alai could not look away from her as she began speaking to them and she heard the collective gasps from the shackled groups of people and the two boys on the slabs.
She addressed them with a confident and commanding voice.
‘You have been chosen to be my guardians. You lack strength but you will be made strong by the gifts Doryani will now grant you.’
She began walking back towards the door. ‘You shall serve me until eternity ends and the world is swallowed by incorruptible darkness. You may not disappoint me.’
With those words resounding loudly, she replaced her mask and left the room. Doryani immediately began casting a spell, one seemingly of great power as he strained to control himself while channelling his power. The chamber grew darker and dark streaks of thaumic energy streaked across the ceiling. He placed his hand upon the head of the boy she did not know and held the other out towards the group of people gathered before his slab.
To A’alai’s horror, the guards raised their axes and began relentlessly and mercilessly chopping them down. She suddenly noticed the small red orbs forming in the air where the people once stood. Doryani seemed to be drawing power from these orbs, his eyes taking on an ominous red glow.
Then suddenly, a gruesome portal sprung up on the ground, consuming the orbs. Doryani screamed with effort and the portal began slowly closing as he pulled the energy out of it and into the boy he was standing over. The boy who had been struggling in his shackles suddenly became still and started growing rapidly, his hands losing their shape and becoming pointed and hardened. His face deformed and became a terrifying pointed visage losing any trace humanity.
Finally, the portal disappeared and Doryani relaxed, flexing his fingers. He beheld his handiwork and smiled. The boy had become a terrifying monstrosity twice as tall as the average human.
He saw A’alai staring at what was once a terrified young boy.
‘Don’t fret.’ He said with a chilling smile, the glow slowly fading from his eyes ‘you’re next.’

Chapter 2 - The swing of the axe
Spoiler
Haviri stood among the crowd that had gathered before the steps of the Apex to await the arrival of the Queen. Doryani had told him she would appear today to announce her grand design for the future of the Vaal people and that A'alari would be at her side. He was nervous. He had not seen A’alai for months now. The anticipation was almost unbearable.
After what seemed an eternity, the doors slid away revealing the Queen and her guards. A’alai and Doryani were nowhere to be seen. Had he been lied to? He felt the anger he had been suppressing for so long rising again.
The Queen was wearing a long red gown but for the first time in many centuries, she was not wearing the Vertex, leaving her face revealed for the crowd to admire. The guards took a moment to glimpse this rare showing of the Queen in all her beauty. This alone could have marked the day as an occasion that would be remembered by all but the air was heavy with anticipation as rumours had spread across the city of what the grand announcement would be.
‘My loyal subjects!’ The Queen addressed the crowd, her commanding tone carrying her voice across the plaza ‘Our people are on the forefront of thaumaturgic power unlike any civilisation has ever seen before. Through years of research into the power of the virtue gems, we have succeeded in communing with a realm beyond our own and have drawn unimaginable power from it. Our civilisation shall be immortalised upon conquering this new land and I am instructing our most talented smiths to create an army of constructs to wage this war. During next year’s harvest moon, we shall open a portal to the realm beyond ours and it will bow to our power.’
A smile flickered across the Queen's young face ‘To give you a taste of this ultimate power, I present to you an example of the power we shall wield against this foe. Behold, the terrifying power of A’ALAI!’
With this message, she turned and left through the door through which she came, shouting A’alai’s name at the top of her voice before disappearing beyond the great stone door once more.
A silhouette approached in the Queen’s place. The figure, while misshapen, vaguely resembled that of a woman. As she stepped into view, it soon became clear to all that her resemblance to anything human was no more than being humanoid. A murmur came over the crowd, some stepping back with shock at the sight of her.
The creature at the top of the steps was a grotesque depiction of a young girl, her bones growing out of her arms in twisting shapes, some of which had formed into long, layered quills that almost gave her the semblance of wings. She lifted an arm to the sky and the bone quills grew out further but smaller and pointed like arrows. With a sharp crack, the bones flew from her arm as if propelled by a bow. Screams erupted from the crowd but the projectiles safely struck a building on the plaza’s edge, burying themselves deep within the stonework.
Haviri did not turn to watch the projectiles hit their mark, nor did he move as the people around him headed in the direction of the stricken building to examine this new curiosity. He could not take his eyes from the malformed girl that he vaguely recognised as his daughter. A’alari stared back blankly. The girl he had raised was gone, replaced by this unfeeling monstrosity.
Now he now knew what he must do.

Doryani entered the throne room, seeing himself in the many mirrors around the room. Atziri sat upon her throne, holding her mirror which she always kept nearby wherever she went. He chose his words carefully. He enjoyed walking the line between displeasing the great Queen and keeping his head on his shoulders. He was good at it.
‘Atziri, I have some concerns regarding our plan.’ To his satisfaction, the great queen bristled as always at the brazen impudence with which Doryani used her name.
‘The portals I used to create your guardians were only small and I was able to suppress the creatures attempting to venture through it but what you have promised your people is out of my reach at this moment. I may need more time to prepare and even then, it may not be enough. Such a large portal may reach a point at which it may sustain itself and opening it for a longer period would leave us open to an ambush from the beyond.’
‘I have heard your concerns before Doryani.’ She replied coldly, while admiring her reflection in her mirror. ‘what concerns me is that you still do not seem understand what it is we are working towards. My constructs will fight back the tide on the other side of the portal and you will put your mind to finding a solution that will allow them to do so. We will work together to give our people the power of eternal life and when we succeed in this momentous task, your image may be reflected in history beneath my own.’
‘Yes, my Queen.’ Doryani opened his mouth to reply but decided to bite his tongue after all. He bowed and left the queen’s court to get back to work in the laboratory. The problem the Queen wanted him to solve had already been solved days before but he wasn't going to tell her that yet. He knew that the catalyst orbs he had created would allow him to breach a large enough portal and maintain it. His concern was what he would find on the other side. When he created the guardians, he felt something pushing through from the other side. Before he pushed back, he felt anger and hatred like no other from whatever twisted life form was trying to push through.

Haviri made his final preparations. He put on a baggy overall to hide the metal of his light chain armour, which he wore beneath it. Nothing would be left to chance. He set out, the metal armour weighing him down no more than the axe had, months before. The problem weighing on his mind was whether anyone would be able to help him revert what had been done to his sweet little girl.
He set out on the path towards the city in the twilight, making sure none saw him leave. He avoided the path this time as he did not want to be seen. Instead he travelled through the forest, the cackling of apes and hiss of snakes following him every step of the way.
He arrived at midnight, watching the thaumaturge’s building from the shadows until he was sure nobody was watching. He slipped into the building as quietly as the clinking of his armour would allow. He knew exactly where to go. Soon he heard the hum of the portal but before entering it, he picked up the electrified glove Doryani had told him about. He had been right after all, he thought marvelling at the intricacy with which the virtue gems had been set into the glove. In the end, thaumaturgy in the hands of a commoner had become a necessary thing.
He stepped into the portal’s alluring abyss.

Doryani knew that Haviri would enter the apex through the portal. He had cleared the court for the night in preparation for the arrival of his old friend.
Haviri arrived with the heavy clank of metal on marble that reverberated around the huge room. He was briefly surprised at the sight of his friend awaiting him.
‘Part of me wished you hadn’t come.’ Doryani sighed ‘But I knew you wouldn’t let this go. I don’t blame you for your emotions, but this is the will of our Queen.’
‘What is? The mutilation of young girls and boys to serve as entertainment to the queen? She has a lot to answer for.’ Haviri shouted, no longer caring about being quiet. His efforts had clearly been in vain.
‘She does indeed my friend and so do I. But for other reasons you can't even imagine. The truth is, if she had not been picked for this project, I would have slit her throat in the sacrificial chamber to preserve the Queen’s youth. I told you that she had been given a great honour. I was not lying.’
Haviri’s face turned white.
‘Disgusting!’ he hissed ‘I will kill her then to stop this vile treatment of our people and don’t you dare stand in my way!’
‘You have been a good friend to me but you cannot think that we would let your talents go to waste through this act of rebellion. I need your craftsmanship in the coming months to help me prepare for our great ascension. My task now is to subdue you.’ He smiled wickedly ‘And even death will not save you from this fate.’
‘If I must kill you, I will do so!’ Haviri pointed the glove at Doryani stubbornly ignoring the threat.
Instead preparing himself for an attack, Doryani began laughing.
‘You’re a fool Haviri. That glove will not give you the power you think it will. Put it aside or I will disarm you myself.’
Haviri, once again ignoring the threat, shot a lightning bolt at Doryani that by all rights should have killed him. Instead, he deflected it lazily with his sceptre.
‘As you wish.’ He said, performing a savage swiping motion with the sceptre.
The glove flew from Haviri, taking his hand with it. He screamed in agony. At that moment, a laugh resounded through the chamber originating in the corridor leading to the throne room. Atziri, mirror in hand, entered the room and smiled at the scene before her.
‘She told me this is the choice you would make. A pity, but I will make good use of your skill now that you are mine. Your talent is too valuable to waste on such sentimentality.’
‘She…?’ Haviri mumbled through gritted teeth.
‘SILENCE!’ Atziri screamed at him, suddenly full of rage ‘You would deny me and our entire civilisation of the glory of immortality for the sake of one little girl? Your selfishness is incomparable!’
‘Allow the man some dignity please your grace. He has produced many great works in your name.’ Doryani interjected.
‘I do not believe in disguising my disappointment.’ She replied sternly ‘He is to be executed tomorrow at dawn.’

At dawn, a small crowd gathered before the base of the pyramid to watch the execution. None of them would mourn Haviri. His death would be a brief piece of entertainment for a few passing tradesmen and children.
Haviri closed his eyes as the axe he had so carefully crafted swung down upon his neck.

Chapter 3 PREVIEW - The Harvest
Spoiler
Haviri awoke.
No. He was dead. Wasn’t he?
He tried to move his arms, open his eyes but they would not respond. Was this what being dead was really like?
'Haviri, come greet our gracious queen!'
The voice sounded like that of Owa'ai, the city smith that bought and sold many of his wares.
His eyes opened but not of his own accord. He was wearing some kind of helmet that limited his vision but he could make out the beckoning figure ahead of him.
Owa'ai looked tired but had a relieved look on his face at the sign of his movement. He slowly lumbered forward towards the man. He was vaguely aware that he was seemingly much taller than he remembered. He could hear the sound of metal being worked all around the room. There were smiths working at strange devices and he thought he could see Doryani stalking the hall amongst them, casting an eye over their progress.
There was a loud clanking noise and his world went dark again.
The last thing he heard was Owa'ai cursing 'Damn. Almost had him that time.'
Last edited by Incarcerated on Apr 13, 2017, 9:13:12 PM
Last bumped on Apr 13, 2017, 9:22:47 PM
My secondary project that has pre-occupied me for the last few days. A short story of a templar.

The Promise
Spoiler

Jornal day 1

I begin my journey. Lonely. Lost. Clinging onto every stick and piece of metal I can find, hoping that it will give me a chance on this barbaric continent. Dominus, Piety and Malachai. Those three names I uttered in public and they rewarded me with fearful stares and whisperings of the propaganda the aristocracy would have them believe in:

'This is just unsubstantiated nonsense. The gods would not allow such abomination to be tolerated.'

They would await the apocalypse, knowing it's sire was within arm's reach of our magic. I did not find comfort in their misguided thinking. The people had a right to knowthe truth so I took action, hoping it would allow them to make up their own minds. This is how I landed on the shores of the coming doom.
There is no going back now.

Journal day 8

I have begun my exploration of the lush jungle beyond Axiom that once was the farmland of the Vaal people. Between fighting off terrifying animals I have had time to reflect upon my situation. Many of the theopolitans would never see this kind of beauty, though that beauty is overshadowed by the ever-present sight of the huge pyramid that blocks my path.
I have met a few friendly souls along the way. Some I even recognise as those that I spoke to before I was bundled off to this place.
They seem less hopeful now. Many of them will fall to the dangers of this land and many more will surrender to their fears and seek strength in numbers with one of the local bandit groups.
I can only go on and hope that they will prevail as one of my quarry has already presented herself to me at Axiom. She has manipulated the minds of some of my fellow theopolitans
that made it ashore to die for her. Even god may not save them now.

Journal day 22

The last few hours may not seem believable to any sane person that might read this. Abomination after abomination surrendered to my mace but nothing prepared me for the melting pot offlesh and blood that awaited me in what was once a sacred temple to the goddess of Lunaris. As terrified as I am, I cannot stop now. I have invited myself to the home of Dominus, the man who betrayed the templars when we needed him most.
The scepter of god, the mightiest spire ever built. Is no godly house left untouched by madness and mutilation?
I can see the road to cleansing this land will lead me further than I thought. May my faith prevail.

Journal day 42

The gods have forsaken me. The walls are close and they seem to move with an unsettling sound as if they would at any moment contract and crush me between them.
I have found texts written by Voll, a kindred spirit who fell to the nightmare corruption. Whether I am god or not, I must become as one if I am to defeat this evil.
I have not seen another exile since I left Sarn. I cannot blame them. The city reminds them of home and they will not leave home twice in a hurry. But I would feel comforted knowing
that there may be another soul to mourn me if this is to be my final resting place.

Journal day 45

I have returned to the surface and the sun shines brightly upon my cracked skin.
My comrades await me in the dried lake where we shall begin our conquest.
I will become the new bearer of Voll's righteous legacy.
Nightmare shall be the true eternal.
Malachai has promised me this.
Last edited by Incarcerated on Apr 13, 2017, 9:24:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info