New/Returning Player Having Difficulties

So my friend and I have been playing a lot the past two days. We have made it to the mid 50s and are about to finish cruel difficulty. We are near the end of act 4 and are dieing a lot. So much so that we are not making a lot of XP. I imagine it will be even worse in merciless. I played this game when it first came out, but havent since, so I am basically new. I found the build below and have been following it but I am not sure what we I am missing. The build doesnt really take place until level 65, so I have been mostly just winging it from information I have found all over (hence the ancestral warchief and scorching ray)

Its pretty obvious that I need more resistances, to avoid a ton of elemental damage, but its hard matching that with gear that has correct sockets and links, all while trying to get that gear setup correctly with a limited amount of currency since this is my first character in the Legacy league.

Also, anyone familiar with the maradaur class care to explain why my scorching ray/firestorm combo does almost no damage? How big of a deal is it to do the ascendancy thing right now? I havent done that yet because I havent found all of the trials.

Any help or advice you can provide would be great. Thanks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1729087
Last bumped on Mar 25, 2017, 9:29:14 AM
Are you using loot filters and collecting chromatic orb recipe pieces to sell to the vendor? If not, you should get one.

Also, have you been using poe.trade to buy gear? You should be able to find really good gear your level for only an alch to max out your resistances. If you haven't looked, you should.

I don't have time to add more. Hope it helps.
Thanks that poe.trade looks useful. Unfortunately part of the problem is I dont know exactly what to look for. That may or may not be obvious just from looking at my gear.
"
halexh wrote:
That may or may not be obvious just from looking at my gear.
For us to be able to look at your gear, you have to show your characters (uncheck "hide characters tab" somewhere in account preferences).
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"
halexh wrote:
That may or may not be obvious just from looking at my gear.
For us to be able to look at your gear, you have to show your characters (uncheck "hide characters tab" somewhere in account preferences).

Woops thanks - updated it
Looking at your gear and items, I am unable to find out what kind of character you are. You have armor, energy shield and hp, yet non of them is anywhere near something. Pick one or two of these and focus on them.

Looking at your build(tree), I can see you are supposed to be a hp character. So make sure to get mostly resists and high hp on all gear pieces.

You are also running no useful aura's. Determination isn't useful. Since you are not bloodmagic nor CI, you could try clarity(for mana), wrath for damage, and maybe arctic armor for survivability. And a herald if there is still room(ice to chill/freeze to keep mobs at bay).

I do see you have looked up a CWDT set-up and are using two of those. This is good. Try getting a movement skill as well, to quickly run out of danger. Since you are a fire character, you might actually do some damage with flame dash(otherwise try lightning warp).

Another thing I've noticed, is your tree is all over the place. Since you are still leveling, and are following a build that needs certain keystones. Try figuring out which keystones are builddefining, and get those first + some survivability nodes(hp/resists) if the build has any. For now when I look at your build, you have wasted alot of points to get somewhere, and then only pick a minor keystone. For Example "Golems blood" keystone at the very bottom of your build. I count 10 wasted points going there, while there is a hp wheel you pass through right next to the scion starting section, in the middle of the tree. This gets you 49% hp+20 base life for 7 points, while you now have 10 points for 20% life and 1,6% life regen. The regen is useless if your overall hp is still too low. If you need these nodes later on, get them later, while leveling stick to the major build defining keystones.
Try looking for wasted points like this in your tree, and place them better. Atleast while still leveling.

You do not really need fire penetration while leveling, most monsters die even with low damage output. Replace the fire penetration gem with a damage gem, this should give you alot more damage. You can switch back to penetration later on when you start mapping and feel the need for it.

Goodluck!

Edit: Try buying the 5-link prophecy on the trade site. This would give you an extra slot for your main spell to play with :) It's shouldn't be too expensive. If you do this though, try buying a good body armor to use it on first. You should be able to get an upgrade for 2-3 chaos.
Last edited by sarannah101 on Mar 25, 2017, 4:32:38 AM
You can also improve your res with the forsaken masters crafting mods. I play SSF and they are really useful to improve the rares a bit at the cost of some alts or so.
Last edited by CopyClaus on Mar 25, 2017, 9:29:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info