The removal of cruel and merciless is the greatest thing that has ever been created in an ARPG.

Didn't D3 cancel 3dif system and do adventure mode after 1 single play thru story a long time ago already?? GL&HF
"There is only one true god in PoE and that is Greed... "

I don’t need anger management, I need people to stop pissing me off!
"
KOrchann wrote:
Didn't D3 cancel 3dif system and do adventure mode after 1 single play thru story a long time ago already?? GL&HF

this is true but Adventure mode is a little different than what GGG did.

GGG made ten acts

D3 basically just lets you start at "maps"
I dont see any any key!
Yeah, it was 4 difficulties at first, then down to 3 and now none. Its clear that this was coming a long time ago.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:
"
KOrchann wrote:

this is true but Adventure mode is a little different than what GGG did.

GGG made ten acts

D3 basically just lets you start at "maps"

Sort of. Adventure mode is less maps and more random simple quests repeated ad nauseum. Maps are all about upping difficulty in fairly creative ways. Adventure mode just has degrees of difficulty based on simple scales like enemy life and damage.

Aye I know, did play d3;) I just talk about that 3 dif removal;) didn't compared whole games;) GL&HF
"There is only one true god in PoE and that is Greed... "

I don’t need anger management, I need people to stop pissing me off!
"
鬼殺し wrote:

But when we say arpg and poe in the same sentence, we really mean Diablo clone. There's no getting around that.

Diablo clone itself should be an official genre. Though, ARPG is good enough as it is.

But yea, never got around to playing those games you pointed out that did a better job than Golden Axe with actually adding rpg elements in the game. As for Dragon's Crown, the Sorceress is pretty smexy. :)
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 24, 2017, 4:16:26 PM
the thing is though... Chris Wilson said theyre fixing another problem of ARPGs, similar to gold and potions..

Secret of Mana had gold and consumable healing items..
most ARPGs did of all types,

so it got me expecting more..

and RIIIP!!!

and we were told about 10 acts and only 1 difficulty YEARS AGO in like closed or open beta
Last edited by CaoMengde on Mar 24, 2017, 4:20:43 PM
"
CaoMengde wrote:

and we were told about 10 acts and only 1 difficulty YEARS AGO in like closed or open beta

That was a "thing" from Chris I think, but he did it in a clever way. Otherwise, getting 10 different acts (as in completely different locations) would take many many years.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
鬼殺し wrote:

So how do you feel about Shadow Over Mystara and Dragon's Crown?

I've not played either. Grew up in a small town, so my arcade experience is near nil. Also was a sega genesis only for years until the N64, never had a PS1 or 2. I will check out the D&D game on steam though, and as for Dragon's Crown, I see atlus is the publisher, so I can imagine it's great. Their work on Tactics: Ogre titles for the 64 and GBA were fantastic, and in my experience with some of their other IP that I liked less, they were still solid games. Atlus on a bad day is better than most studios at their best.
"
CaoMengde wrote:
Secret of Mana is an ARPG
didnt have repeating difficulties

and actually the released SNES cart is supposedly only 40% of what was developed...

it was being made for SNES CD, which was scrapped, and they had to cut the game down to fit on a cartridge.

.... I was expecting something better...

the normal - cruel - merciless thing ISNT EVEN a "problem of arpg design" .. it was an original idea for diablo, which made it kinda cool
the problem is being a slackass developer and adopting it so that you dont gotta dev as much.
LOL PWNED!

Damn I've loved Secret of Mana (some nostalgia but I still play it from start to end sometimes) and I didn't even know it wasn't fully complete game. Though I think I was about 7 years old when I first touched it and only knew about 10 words in english, as my english lessons in school started two years later (which still don't help that much) but I still got hooked. Would be awesome if we got the full-planned game, or at least I knew how the story was going, sure I can google around but playing it would be a lot cooler.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I'd pay GGG a lot of cash to ensure the Pantheon system doesn't work in maps. Fuck post game. Lol.

...but that'd never happen. They must reward those whose souls they own. For some reason. I don't get it really. You don't see heroin dealers offering rewards to long-time junkies. If indeed Chris was right when he said that, I should think that'd mean GGG don't have to do anything for Mappers. GGG owns their souls either way.

So he probably wasn't.

Anyway, secret of Mana isn't an isometric online multiplayer arpg so that comparison by Cao Cao was blatantly stupid, yet again proving not everyone deserves the screen name they choose. Kudos for even engaging with it, JN.

Ever since d1 established the arpg genre as defined above (a much more specific concept than merely an RPG with A elements), every arpg following it has relied on difficulty settings chosen before entering the game. Sacred, dungeon siege, Torchlight, darkstone, Titan quest...It just became a thing. No one before GGG thought to tackle it in even a vaguely creative way. Sacred 2 had scaling difficulty but it was pretty clumsy.

Whether GGG can pull off the whole time-skip gimmick and make it work both narratively and mechanically remains to be seen...But I'll admit I'm allowing myself to be excited to find out.

Eh?

I'm not a D3 promoter or anything (it is/was fun but poe for me) but they removed the need to replay content quite a long time ago. In D3 you just play through the game once, and thats it. then endgame rifts or whatever they have going now.

It's somewhat fitting that the game that introduced the 3 stage difficulty system is probably? the first ARPG to remove it. admittedly they did go through a long and stupid (and continue to do so) series of revisions, but the core idea is there. you no longer repeat the story content 3 times.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info