How about more Ascension classes/trees?

Like why not? They would not take that much resources to make. Some art for the new image and couple ideas for gameplay styles to support. And I think some gameplay styles really could use some more supporting. Traps and Summons for example only have one ascendancies for each.

Some ideas.

Duelist - Crit focused tree

Ranger - Trap focused tree

Templar - Summon focusing tree. or physical 2h focused tree

Shadow - Caster focused tree. Assassin is great caster template and all but it's just about crit coming out of your butt. Maybe something like Elementalist is?

Witch - Another caster tree with some other twist.

Marauder - dunno
Last edited by Atech2 on Mar 23, 2017, 1:53:18 PM
Last bumped on Mar 23, 2017, 3:45:55 PM
I believe there will be new ascendancy classes in the future. If you look at Scion ascendancy tree, it looks designed so that new classes can be easily added.. Probably not in 3.0.0 though, as it will bring lots of new content. But who knows..

your suggestions look like copypasted from other classes that already exist. GGG will come with something better :)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Mar 23, 2017, 2:01:36 PM
A lot of the intent behind the Ascendancy system is to give each class its own distinct flavors and playstyles. Cloning existing Ascendancies onto other classes dilutes this approach, on top of messing with the UI in spots and requiring a bunch of balancing work on top of all the heavy balancing work to come in 3.0.0.

Players wanting to play an 'off-class' version of a build can also generally find an Ascendancy that works anyways, or retool the build idea to work more in line with an existing Ascendancy.

Duelists can focus on collecting crit nodes the old-fashioned way and use their Ascendancy to patch up either damage or defense they'd otherwise have to sacrifice to the Search For Crit - or they can be Slayers with SupahCull and not really care about crit in the first place.

Rangers (and everyone else) can be trappers without a great deal of effort, Saboteur is honestly more impactful for mines than it is for traps. 'Grenadier' trappers with Sunburst and a couple of Cheap Constructions are always amuse and can be done on virtually any Ascendancy you can cast spells with. Regular trappers are niche as hell anyways and don't really merit a second entire Ascendancy built around them.

Templars can be Guardians if they want to be summony buffbots, or use Heirophant's Illuminated Devotion to give their various summons different effects in different pieces of gear. Raging Spirits in a Baron helm on Heirophant get +2 Minion gem levels and 20% elemental penetration, and have a much easier time building for strength than Witches do. SRS in the helm, Zombies in the boots for minion leech so they stay alive better, auras in the hands to increase the AoE you can buff critters in. Go for Sacntuary of Thought for free critter spam when your ES is full, which it can easily be since your zomboids can tank for you. As for 2H melee, Inquisitor is a fine choice for elemental 2H melee. Physical builds have never been the Templar's forte anyways - there are Marauders and Duelists for that.

Shadows can cast just fine. Assassin can just not take its brokesauce Poison nodes for once and get significant bonuses to crit chance/multi as well as Culling crits. Assassin can also damn near crit-cap Incinerate - a skill with a 0% native critical hit chance. Trickster is also a thing that exists and has a lot of interesting benefits for a number of funky builds whilst being completely agnostic in terms of offense - Trickster doesn't care if you're casting, archer-ing, daggering, or swinging a two-handed hammer.

The Ascendancy system is a lot more versatile than people give it credit for. Whatever you want to play, odds are there's a way to do it.
"
Ludvator wrote:

your suggestions look like copypasted from other classes that already exist. GGG will come with something better :)

"
1453R wrote:
A lot of the intent behind the Ascendancy system is to give each class its own distinct flavors and playstyles. Cloning existing Ascendancies onto other classes dilutes this approach, on top of messing with the UI in spots and requiring a bunch of balancing work on top of all the heavy balancing work to come in 3.0.0.

If you look at the all the other ascendancy classes they all have several aspects. Assassin is about Crit and Dots. Slayer is about Leech and Splash. You get the idea. Stuff I suggested would obviously just be one aspect of the future ascendancy classes and there already is some overlap such as Inquisitor and Assassin both being about crit. There would be nothing wrong to have for example Duelist ascendancy class that has crit as it's one aspect.
Last edited by Atech2 on Mar 23, 2017, 2:21:41 PM
Having trouble with a crit-based Duelist build? Folks 'round here could probably help with that.

Nevertheless, trying to ensure that every single character has access to its own version of every single Ascendancy class does indeed dilute the point of the Ascendancy system, which was supposed to give meaning to the original class selection. Yes, certain existing Ascendancies sometimes overlap - Heirophant and Chieftain are both 'totemy' ascendancies, Inquisitor and Assassin are both critty Ascendancies, Elementalist and Slayer both flip bird fingers at reflect - but giving everything a crit Ascendancy makes crit ascendancies kind of useless.

Also crit is far too over-dominant in the game right now anyways. More options for non-crit or low-crit builds are required, not more options for crit-capping the world.

If new Ascendancies come out, I imagine a lot of players would prefer them to come with interesting new capabilities we don't have, or don't have a lot of, in the game right now, rather than just "this is the Assassin Ascendancy except for Duelist, and this is the Assassin Ascendancy except for Templar, and this is the Assassin Ascendancy except for Marauder..."
"
1453R wrote:
Having trouble with a crit-based Duelist build? Folks 'round here could probably help with that.

Nevertheless, trying to ensure that every single character has access to its own version of every single Ascendancy class does indeed dilute the point of the Ascendancy system, which was supposed to give meaning to the original class selection. Yes, certain existing Ascendancies sometimes overlap - Heirophant and Chieftain are both 'totemy' ascendancies, Inquisitor and Assassin are both critty Ascendancies, Elementalist and Slayer both flip bird fingers at reflect - but giving everything a crit Ascendancy makes crit ascendancies kind of useless.

I am not talking about giving everyone everything I am talking about giving some more options and some new ideas which there could be. Summons for example for some other classes than Necromancer. Hieropanth summon build you described is horrible and does nowhere compare to Necromancer.
They say we're getting an ascendancy class in 3.0 - Ascendant.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Atech2 wrote:
I am not talking about giving everyone everything I am talking about giving some more options and some new ideas which there could be. Summons for example for some other classes than Necromancer. Hieropanth summon build you described is horrible and does nowhere compare to Necromancer.

I agree Necromancers are op for their flavour (that minion damage...), but there are other tools than ascendancies to balance that. For instance, newly recently Baron helmet makes it viable to make Chieftain summonners. Last league we got Primordial jewels so golem summonners became viable, which can be done not only as Necromancer but also Elementalist.

...we could also simply nerf necromancers and buff minion nodes on passive tree to compensate.
Not a signature.
"
Atech2 wrote:

What build are you trying to make that the current system isn't giving you the options you want for?

Because a lot of this argument is sounding like it boils down to the same arguments people had against the Ascendancy system in the first place. "I want to play a traditional standard summoner, but I don't want to use Witch/Necromancer to do it."

Why? If you want a traditional summoner, the Necromancer is purpose-built to be really good at it. If you want a non-traditional summoner, other classes offer different bonuses. What kind of interesting, unique alternative summon skills would a Templar-based summoner have? You can't give it the Necromancer's bonuses, there's a Necromancer for that. Golemancy has its own node in the Elementalist tree, but even if it didn't, can you hang an entire Ascendancy on 'Summons golems'? Especially when the builds that do so cost a million exalts because they all need stupidly high numbers of stupidly expensive unique jewels?

How would a Templar summoning-focused Ascendancy be different enough from Necromancer to warrant being its own Ascendancy? How would it do so without also being a Heirophant-like thing with a bunch of specific bonuses for different things?

How do you do a crit-focused Ascendancy for every single class without stepping badly on the toes of either the Assassin or the Inquisitor?

For that matter, how do you do multiple redundant Ascendancies like that without making the actual Ascendant option for the Scion silly? If every class in the game has either an Assassin or Inquisitor clone Ascendancy, what's stopping the Scion from doubling down on those? or doubling down on the various Necromancer clone Ascendancies you're looking at?

Seriously, man. What build are you having issues putting together with the current system? We can probably help get it working a whole lot quicker than waiting for Grinding gear to start cloning Ascendancies onto different characters.
"
1453R wrote:
"
Atech2 wrote:

What build are you trying to make that the current system isn't giving you the options you want for?

Because a lot of this argument is sounding like it boils down to the same arguments people had against the Ascendancy system in the first place. "I want to play a traditional standard summoner, but I don't want to use Witch/Necromancer to do it."

Why? If you want a traditional summoner, the Necromancer is purpose-built to be really good at it. If you want a non-traditional summoner, other classes offer different bonuses. What kind of interesting, unique alternative summon skills would a Templar-based summoner have? You can't give it the Necromancer's bonuses, there's a Necromancer for that. Golemancy has its own node in the Elementalist tree, but even if it didn't, can you hang an entire Ascendancy on 'Summons golems'? Especially when the builds that do so cost a million exalts because they all need stupidly high numbers of stupidly expensive unique jewels?

How would a Templar summoning-focused Ascendancy be different enough from Necromancer to warrant being its own Ascendancy? How would it do so without also being a Heirophant-like thing with a bunch of specific bonuses for different things?

How do you do a crit-focused Ascendancy for every single class without stepping badly on the toes of either the Assassin or the Inquisitor?

For that matter, how do you do multiple redundant Ascendancies like that without making the actual Ascendant option for the Scion silly? If every class in the game has either an Assassin or Inquisitor clone Ascendancy, what's stopping the Scion from doubling down on those? or doubling down on the various Necromancer clone Ascendancies you're looking at?

Seriously, man. What build are you having issues putting together with the current system? We can probably help get it working a whole lot quicker than waiting for Grinding gear to start cloning Ascendancies onto different characters.

Really you did not seem to understand the 1st post at all if you think it is just about cloning other ascendancies and there would be plenty of ways to make them unique. Look at the Baron helm for example. It's stats could just as well be an ascendancy node for Templar or Marauder class.
Last edited by Atech2 on Mar 23, 2017, 3:12:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info