Add more features similiar to Diablo 3?

I think what I love most about this game is it seems to revolve around "What is Diablo doing and how can we do it better." And for the most part PoE does virtually everything better.

However, there are a few features they are still missing but I feel like it will be implemented over time.

Firstly there is one that's been requests for a while now, a force move option, I would really like this like Diablo 3.

A sort option for Stash tabs. This is pretty much just a QoL thing but since we already have a search function, it's not really a big deal.

An armory type system like Diablo 3. After the recent update with D3, I have immediately begun loving the armory system. It's amazing and I feel like this game could really benefit from it as well.

Endless upgrades and inflatable enemies. This is more like a leaderboards thing or a feeling of achievement thing but not everyone will like this which is understandable. Personally I love it because it makes me feel like I am constantly improving, even if it's only a little. However, I really am not suggesting this, just putting it out there, because I also like PoE's style of endgame play. Dont misunderstand though, I am both against and with this, if it cant be done right, dont bother, but if it can be done well, then please do! But even then I dont know. I guess this one really depends on the general player's preference so I will let others decide on this one!

Honestly the one I really want is the force move option, I feel like everything Path of Exile does they just do well for this genre. I also feel like this game is the best of its genre as well.
Last bumped on Mar 23, 2017, 4:24:06 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
If you want to "force move" your character, just assign a key ( or a mouse click ) to it .....

Tab management is part of the game, and one way of sorting would not please everybody anyway, "but I want the sorting like this", "but I want the sorting like that" and it would never end ....

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Magnus1520 wrote:
I think what I love most about this game is it seems to revolve around "What is Diablo doing and how can we do it better." And for the most part PoE does virtually everything better.

However, there are a few features they are still missing but I feel like it will be implemented over time.

Firstly there is one that's been requests for a while now, a force move option, I would really like this like Diablo 3.

A sort option for Stash tabs. This is pretty much just a QoL thing but since we already have a search function, it's not really a big deal.

An armory type system like Diablo 3. After the recent update with D3, I have immediately begun loving the armory system. It's amazing and I feel like this game could really benefit from it as well.

Endless upgrades and inflatable enemies. This is more like a leaderboards thing or a feeling of achievement thing but not everyone will like this which is understandable. Personally I love it because it makes me feel like I am constantly improving, even if it's only a little. However, I really am not suggesting this, just putting it out there, because I also like PoE's style of endgame play. Dont misunderstand though, I am both against and with this, if it cant be done right, dont bother, but if it can be done well, then please do! But even then I dont know. I guess this one really depends on the general player's preference so I will let others decide on this one!

Honestly the one I really want is the force move option, I feel like everything Path of Exile does they just do well for this genre. I also feel like this game is the best of its genre as well.

I don't know if you are familiar with the history of this game and how many of the early beta adopters came to find it.

Please allow me to explain to help you understand the pushback and comments you may receive on this subject.

When D3 came out you had a huge HUGE Diablo 2/LOD follwing anticipating that game. When they finally got it, they found that the veneer was Diablo, the guts were WoW. People waited a long time and patiently sat through tons of hype.

During the bans/mutes/deletes in the D3 forums that raged in the days/weeks that followed release, word of another game that was more like D2 LOD than D3 was got out. That game was Path of Exile.

August 2012 was filled with memes about "using orb of regret on D3 purchase", Jay Wilson (D3 Dev) vs Chris Wilson (POE Dev), Jay Wilson was a meme for at least a year.

Then there was the whole "Real money auction house" which auction house requests still come up from time to time.

The vitriol against D3 was thick and palpable. The reaction to what that game did with the franchise by fans was swift and relentless.

It may be a fun game to play, but pretty much nothing about it says Diablo other than the name.

There are multiple aspects that made D2 fun. The random "I got something awesome" drop to the soj (Stone of Jordan) ring economy based on gambling gold.

Even the ears that dropped when you would pvp.

Another aspect was twinking alts. Being able to put really good items on a lower end character and be above the curve while leveling until you flatten out at higher levels.

Then there was the crafting and rune words.

D3 is way too linear in it's progression, you couldn't really twink by trading if you wanted to because now everything is class specific and BOP/BOD.

These are all WOW mechanics and POE players really want to avoid them.

So when one reads a subject line: Make this game more like D3. The immediate reaction is: F*ck no.

This is not to mean that you don't have good ideas. Item sorting is nice, but really not needed and inflatable power curve is primarily handled by maps and map modifiers.

In my opinion of course :)

"
Fruz wrote:
If you want to "force move" your character, just assign a key ( or a mouse click ) to it .....

Tab management is part of the game, and one way of sorting would not please everybody anyway, "but I want the sorting like this", "but I want the sorting like that" and it would never end ....

Drop-down menu with multiple sorting methods for choices. Separate button that when clicked will invoke the selected sorting method for the currently selected Tab.

Sort horizontally, sort vertically, group large items first, group large items last, medium items first, medium items last etc.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 23, 2017, 12:03:41 AM
And you will have people qqing because their own personal preferences are not in there, guarranteed.
All of it for something that has is actually part of the game and has a meaning.

imho : not worth it.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
forcemove exists

stash sorting is a technical thing, my guess is it would be definitely expensive but probably doable depending on implementation in the database. the more items you sort the more expensive it is.

last one is probably an either or thing in poe. because the game is still quasi competitive and I think devs are relatively satisfied where endgame is atm, I don't see a players X thing with endless bloat and endless generic items in poe anytime soon
Last edited by grepman on Mar 23, 2017, 2:27:30 AM
Sorting one tab would probably have little impact in the database, imho, I think that the database part is irrelevant here and would not require much processing.

But we cannot be sure of that, only GGG can.

Anyway it isn't just technical, stash management is a part of game, players that manage their stash well save time over others, and that give them a slight advantage, and that is a good thing.
Plus, simplifying stash use would remove some incentive for players to buy extra tabs on top of it so ....
Last edited by Fruz on Mar 23, 2017, 2:41:13 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
Sorting one tab would probably have little impact in the database, imho, I think that the database part is irrelevant here and would not require much processing.

But we cannot be sure of that, only GGG can.
it depends on design implementation. we already know that they use a regular (and free) rdbms (postgre) so the writes arent cheap.

it's a matter of how item storage of item locations and stashtabs is designed, what indexes they have on the database and so on

we do know that from how stash is loaded in game and through api, that it caches a certain amount of pages

so really, when we search, we dont actually issue queries to db, we search within the pulled cached entries. and likewise, when we put something in the stash, we 1)put items one-by-one 2)put it in locations that are already cached.

in order to sort something, there needs to be an algorithm that does sorting accordingly and then flushes all these updated locations to db. generally, it shouldnt be a problem, but who knows- implementations are different and I can see some scenarios where a design not intended for sorting would be really bad for such a procedure
"
grepman wrote:

in order to sort something, there needs to be an algorithm that does sorting accordingly and then flushes all these updated locations to db. generally, it shouldnt be a problem, but who knows-

Exactly, we lack information.

we do have *some* information, from which some things can be inferred.

either way, a real-time sort would be a lot more expensive than you dumping two inventories full of stuff into your stash item-by-item in any design implementation.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info