[2.6] Oro's Molten/Flicker Strike Berserker (RIP 3.0)

NOTICE: This build will be far weaker as of the 3.0 expansion, losing as much as 50% of damage output due to Emberwake/Taming changes as well as general rebalancing. Use at own peril.

Before we begin the post, I would like to thank MoarPizza for their useful and informative build template and made writing this guide much easier on me.

If you would like to also offer feedback and corrections, don't hesitate to let me know in the comments.

With that out of the way, welcome to my build guide for my Oro's Molten/Flicker Strike Berserker!

INTRODUCTION

Molten Strike was one of the very first skills that I used when I began Path of Exile in 2014. That first character obviously never got far but I have always wanted to make a proper Molten Strike build.

Legacy League introduced the Wildfire jewel for Molten Strike which in my eyes was a gigantic needed buff to the skill. So this league I went out of my way to design and plan a build around using the skill. This eventually transformed into a build that uses both Flicker Strike and Molten Strike.

This build revolves around the use of the Wildfire jewels for Molten Strike, 2 separate Oro's Sacrifice's and Emberwake/Taming in conjunction with the Marauders Berserker ascendancy tree for a character that swaps between area of effect map clearing Flicker Strike and boss smashing Molten Strike.

VIDEO

T16 Minotaur (+43% monster life)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSk-K6iUPjI

OVERVIEW

Pros:

+ Fun build to watch a targets health bar plummet with.
+ Capable of clearing most endgame content, including Uber Izaro, Normal Atziri and Guardians/Shaper.
+ 6K+ Life with Vaal Pact, stun immunity.
+ Incredible Molten single-target damage that can melt most bosses, in addition to efficient map-clear with Flicker.
+ Molten Strike + Vaal Pact = Near immortality while leeching.
+ 5 Endurance / 5 Frenzy Charges add a lot of surviability and DPS.
+ No physical damage means we can go solely for scaling elemental and fire damage.
+ Free damage with frenzy charge generation from Oro's.
+ 75%+ Fire Peneration when built completely, using a Fire Pen gem, the new Wild Oak flask, Xoph's Blood amulet and skill tree nodes. This means high damage output to even Guardians and Shaper.

Neutrals:

~ Build requires you to swap between 2 swords using the loadout hotkey "x" to swap between Molten Strike and Flicker Strike. Can take getting used to, and has lag if used in Predictive instead of Lockstep.
~ Flicker Strike clear may slow when doing T13+ maps as mobs get stronger. Can still function just fine.
~ Not a DPS tooltip hero.

Cons:

- Likely not HC viable unless you are a god at this game.
- We lose a fair portion of damage against ignite-immune targets such as Phoenix and Atziri, so those particular fights may take more effort than usual.
- Requires TWO Oro's swords for the build to function as intended, which adds to the cost of having to socket and link an extra item.
- Cannot do Elemental Reflect, No Leech and Flicker Strike struggles with Elemental Avoid, Molten Strike can be used to remedy this.
- Requires a large currency investment to unlock the full potential of this build.
- Requires some skill to play and may not be noob-friendly.

SKILL TREE

We use the Berserker ascendency in this build for its high damage, insane life/mana leech and attack speed.

Passive tree - Level 90

Ascendancy Points: Pain Reaver - Cloaked in Savagery - Crave the Slaughter - Aspect of Carnage

Bandits: Kill - Kill - Kraityn

LEVELING TREES

Spoiler
Passive Tree (30 Passives)

Passive Tree (60 Passives)

Take note of the node in leech near duelist in case it is needed before we finish ascendancy.

Passive Tree (90 Passives)

Make any alterations to the build if you find you are struggling during the levelling process.

For levelling, use a typical clearing skill such as Sunder or Earthquake along with levelling uniques until you can get your Oro's.

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

The skill tree selected allows us to access many clusters of life, elemental and fire damage nodes and several notable nodes. We also take a large intelligence node to ensure that we can use all our equipment and gems. No intelligence on gear is needed if that node is taken.

JEWELS

2 Wildfire jewels are necessary to supercharge our Molten Strike to be our boss-bashing skill. Our other 2 jewels will be attack speed and damage. Prioritize attack speed above all else.

SCREENSHOTS

Molten Strike DPS
Spoiler

PATH OF BUILDING DAMAGE CALCULATIONS

For our melee hit:

For our magma ball projectiles:

Defense With Auras + Basalt/Granite

Spoiler

GEAR

GEAR EXPLANATION

Spoiler
Weapon

We use the Oro's Sacrifice two-handed sword for its high fire elemental damage, frenzy charge generation, ignite chance and culling strike against burning enemies.

Using this weapon allows us to spec purely into fire and elemental damage into the tree, allowing for better scaling on our skills and take more meaningful nodes.

We use two separate swords in this set-up which allows us to run potentially two 6L skills with some loadout management.

When socketing and linking these swords, Molten Strike should be the first thing to get a 5/6L as this skill is extremely powerful and the skill responsible for slaying bosses.

When shopping for jewels and prioritizing gear, take note that Molten Strike is more powerful the faster you can attack and the faster you can apply ignites. This means more leech in shorter spans of time and with Taming and Emberwake, much higher damage.

Helm

Any helm with high life, resists and increased armour is recommended.

If you are able to get any helmets with enchantments that benefit Molten Strike (in particular the + to projectiles mod) it may be worthwhile to pick those up for extra damage.

Chest

We use an Astral Plate to make up for our lack of resistances from using a large amount of Uniques in the build, we look for life rolls, high resists and armour. Strength rolls are also nice but prioritize resists above all else. Since we only use the chest piece for our movement skill and CWDT we do not have to worry about shopping for 5-6 links, which make purchasing a really nice chest armour a lot easier.

Gloves

For gloves we look for armour, attack speed and life rolls. Desirable extras if you can find them are strength rolls and add fire to attacks.

Boots

Kaom's Roots are hands down the best boots for this build. We benefit from the high life of the boots, we get free Unwavering Stance for stun immunity which saves 2 points on the tree, anti knock-back and (as of Legacy league) immunity to movement slowing effects from everything but tar which is extremely useful against chilling ground and temporal chains as we cannot be slowed to below our base speed which is nice quality of life.

Additionally, obtaining a set with the +1 Frenzy corruption adds to our attack speed and DPS, which is also really nice.

Amulet

Xoph's Blood is extremely strong in this build as offers % life, additional life and melee damage through its % strength, 10% fire penetration and increased damage to targets with applied ash from taking hits.

If you cannot afford Xoph's Blood, Ngamahu's Tiki Amulet is also an excellent option that gives us life, substantial fire damage and fire resist. It is also basically free at a pricetag of around 8c at most.

Rings

We use Emberwake for its fire resist, fire damage and the more important ignite stacking which allows us to rapidly stack ignites from Molten Strike for ramping damage.

The Taming is what allows Molten Strike to utterly delete everything in the game that can be ignited. With 40% ignite chance from our finished skill tree, Oro's and Emberwake together you can easily exploit the increased elemental damage from stacked ignites through Emberwake.
It is rather possible to get above +250% elemental damage if we are lucky in the landing zones of molten strike and adequate attacks per second.

Belt

A good rare leather or heavy belt with high strength and life rolls is useful for increasing our tankiness and we can also fill out our resistances here.

Alternatively, we can also use a fire variant of Doryani's Invitation for added fire damage, strength, cold and lightning resists, armour and added chance to ignite while using flasks to push us up to 50%.

Flasks

The Wise Oak Flask is seriously underrated. If you are able to modify your resistances you can unlock the full potential of this flask.

The flask gives damage penetration to the highest uncapped resistance and received damage reduction to the lowest. So if every uncapped resist is the same, we get 20% elemental penetration and 10% elemental damage reduction during its effect.

If you struggle to balance your capped resistances to this degree, you can just make your fire resist the highest for the fire penetration (which is easy with the fire resist we get in this build) and the element you want damage reduction in the lowest.

A max roll elemental Atziri's Promise can offer us valuable chaos resistance, extra damage as chaos and extra life leech.
HOWEVER if Xoph's Blood is equipped this flask no longer functions properly. Alternative flasks can be Dying Sun or another flask of your choice.

Some useful utility flasks for us are the Basalt flask is useful for face-tanking and surviving fights as well as the Granite flask. A Silver flask is also good for added attack and move speed.

LINKS AND GEMS

Spoiler

Main DPS Setup

Molten Strike Oro's (In order of importance)

Molten Strike - Multistrike - WED - Conc. Effect - Fire Pen. - Faster Attacks

- Using these gems gives us a Molten Strike that attacks extremely rapidly, and has disgusting potency when magma balls are also involved with Conc Effect and Fire Pen. Because of our Wildfire gems even with Conc. Effect we still have some range while retaining damage with the skill.

Flicker Strike Oro's (In order of importance)

Flicker Strike - Melee Splash - Multistrike - WED - Faster Attacks - Fire Pen.

- This gem set-up allows our Flicker Strike to rapidly kill mob-packs with ease and ensures that the AoE hitting of the skill permanently keeps our frenzy charges up for instant resets on the skill as we will ignite everything we hit.

CWDT Setup - located in Chest

CWDT - Molten Shell or Immortal Call - Flammability or Enfeeble

This set-up allows us to automatically apply Flammability for extra fire damage and ignite chance. We also swap this for Enfeeble for excessively rippy maps.
We can also choose between Molten Shell for added damage due to our elemental scaling or Immortal Call for extra survivability.

Mobility Setup - located in Chest

Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Fortify

Mandatory mobility skill to get us in and out of fights, navigate spaces and give us extra durability with fortify application.

Vaal Aura Setup - located in Helmet

Increased Duration - Vaal Haste - Vaal Lightning Trap - Haste or Determination

We use Vaal Haste and Lightning Trap for extra DPS and shock in boss fights and for extra clear speed.

We can choose between either Haste for even more movement and attack speed or Determination for extra armour.

Golem + Extras - located in Gloves

Arctic Armour + Lightning Golem + Ancestral Protector + Enduring Cry

We use AA for extra defense when going ham with Molten Strike, Lightning Golem and Ancestral Protector for added attack speed and Enduring Cry for Endurance charge generation.

If you got any questions let me know below and I will try to reply if I remember to ever check this thread. Thanks for reading and wreck some fools with molten fire.
Last edited by CrunchyCarrot on Jul 3, 2017, 10:28:35 PM
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2017, 8:06:18 PM
Reserved.
This build combines nice Clearspeed with good single target. Exactly what im looking for. I also want to run a lot of uber labs. Is it easy with this build? On most of my builds i tend to get one shot by Izaro phase 3.
Last edited by imperiialm on Apr 3, 2017, 7:38:26 AM
Is Atziri's Promise the only source of leech?
The wildfire needs 40 strength in the radius, but based on your 90 passive skill tree, only 1 of the sockets is viable. Do you have a higher lv skill tree for this?
"
imperiialm wrote:
This build combines nice Clearspeed with good single target. Exactly what im looking for. I also want to run a lot of uber labs. Is it easy with this build? On most of my builds i tend to get one shot by Izaro phase 3.

Depends on what you want out of Uber Lab. It is definitely Izaro farmable once you get your resists and build up but if you want to thoroughly farm the labs for keys/chests and the like I would suggest replacing some flasks with strong Life flasks and perhaps if necessary opt out of Vaal Pact temporarily in place for life regen as lab can be brutal if you eat traps all day as I do.

"
gurragranat wrote:
Is Atziri's Promise the only source of leech?

Absolutely not. We get life and mana leech from the berserker ascendancy. This means with savage hits taken we'll leech obscene amounts of life while maintaining mana for our skills. Atziri's Promise is used less for leech and more for the added elemental damage as chaos bonus.

"
wrong513 wrote:
The wildfire needs 40 strength in the radius, but based on your 90 passive skill tree, only 1 of the sockets is viable. Do you have a higher lv skill tree for this?

The jewel sockets near Golem's Blood and the one near Totemic mastery both support the threshold jewels used. This leaves one other jewel sockets near the large Templar elemental damage wheel and another below Constitution.
Just a heads up, as long as you're using Xoph's Blood, Atziri's Promise is no different than a white amethyst flask. This is because Xoph's Blood gives you Avatar of Fire and you won't be able to deal non fire damage.
"
kroovin wrote:
Just a heads up, as long as you're using Xoph's Blood, Atziri's Promise is no different than a white amethyst flask. This is because Xoph's Blood gives you Avatar of Fire and you won't be able to deal non fire damage.

Good point, I forgot about that interaction. A good alternative would be a utility flask of your choice or a Dying Sun if you can afford it. More projectiles does a lot for our damage.

That said if you are still trying to purchase your Xoph's Blood there is no reason not to use Atziri's Promise in the interim.
I'm curious as to your current skill tree as I'd highly recommend adjusting it to something like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAFb6FHWNucAaWfP3MqlujX2Ub0p9fNmRzrXyktCNv_1uNZJ35aIABS09_Nl8RtdX4sPmMolf0FoashlhUoZgOlLvTmZUd9cEs0a3GNvwH_PdFumMz18_cYU26OFz029Nktq5FCAnL7yfsULYvfhfOFNQRyP27w52rA486hDDOnKpJDeCmxiR6xS_CFhjz3owfHTx9kheE-oYGjj462eg7SC77SLqY_062M9-euZ5aCo4cg9_K5BVMgGHdsEEbztAoKTCdO3jnxRx6NaxfBLheA3UIyyFRmmsqgW1aGWYV3bnxtiCB1FHIWAhkCKvWK967w==

You get the option to go acrobatics, more frenzy&endurance charges, chance to ignite, more penetration, reduced ele reflect, and 2 slot jewel options.

I'm also not sure why you can't do ele reflect maps. I can do it on all of my elemental based beserkers.

I was considering making a very similar build as I currently have a dyadus frostblades/molten striker. Heres a vid of him doing an ele reflect minotaur on a 5L without the pointblank node: http://plays.tv/video/58d41ca2d4f6dba989/dyadus-beserker-minotaur-on-5l-100-ethical?from=user
I get him done in about 40s and it took you 35s with 40% inc hp. You should be doing a lot more with emberwake&taming combo. Maybe the lack of helm enchant? Re-watched looks like it took ~25s for you which seems more on point.
Last edited by 50miler on Apr 14, 2017, 7:40:10 PM
"
50miler wrote:
I'm curious as to your current skill tree as I'd highly recommend adjusting it to something like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAFb6FHWNucAaWfP3MqlujX2Ub0p9fNmRzrXyktCNv_1uNZJ35aIABS09_Nl8RtdX4sPmMolf0FoashlhUoZgOlLvTmZUd9cEs0a3GNvwH_PdFumMz18_cYU26OFz029Nktq5FCAnL7yfsULYvfhfOFNQRyP27w52rA486hDDOnKpJDeCmxiR6xS_CFhjz3owfHTx9kheE-oYGjj462eg7SC77SLqY_062M9-euZ5aCo4cg9_K5BVMgGHdsEEbztAoKTCdO3jnxRx6NaxfBLheA3UIyyFRmmsqgW1aGWYV3bnxtiCB1FHIWAhkCKvWK967w==

You get the option to go acrobatics, more frenzy&endurance charges, chance to ignite, more penetration, reduced ele reflect, and 2 slot jewel options.

The tree you submitted is interesting. It has roughly 10-20% more damage compared to mine and I may test it out later. I'll see how the build handles the acrobatics armour reduction.

EDIT: Just used this tree for a +49% life/+40% resists minotaur, took 28 seconds. Only lose 300 life for the benefits.

"
I'm also not sure why you can't do ele reflect maps. I can do it on all of my elemental based beserkers.

As to your point about ele. reflect, I won't say that it isn't possible but it is a map mod I would personally avoid anyway as you need berserker leech to be active at all times. Just one pack of mobs with a single molten strike without it and you're respawning.

"
I was considering making a very similar build as I currently have a dyadus frostblades/molten striker. Heres a vid of him doing an ele reflect minotaur on a 5L without the pointblank node: http://plays.tv/video/58d41ca2d4f6dba989/dyadus-beserker-minotaur-on-5l-100-ethical?from=user
I get him done in about 40s and it took you 35s with 40% inc hp. You should be doing a lot more with emberwake&taming combo. Maybe the lack of helm enchant? Re-watched looks like it took ~25s for you which seems more on point.

The projectile helmet mod would do wonders for Emberwake+Taming. With Dying Sun as well the damage could nearly double but I don't have the current funds to get that.
Last edited by CrunchyCarrot on Apr 17, 2017, 12:50:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info