Developer Q&A - Answers Part 1

"
Chris wrote:
Do you guys intend to improve mystery boxes in a way that we don't end up having multiple copies of the same item? Multiple portal effects of the sae portal for example is pretty obsolete.

If we made this change, they would have to be massively more expensive than they currently are. Is this a tradeoff you would prefer?

I'd prefer to see the ability to do at least something with the numerous dupes I have in my MTX stash. Like maybe add an MTX vendor so you can break down dupes for a small amount of points towards another mystery box. It really wouldn't have to be much either, like 5 points per dupe or something so that if you get 6 boxes of dupes you would have another shot with a "free" box. You could also make it so that dupes only referred to things like skill effects, weapon effects, and armor excluding things like fireworks, skin transfers, and hideout decorations.

I think this would encourage people to spend more. For example, if I already had 5 dupes, I personally would buy more boxes until I got another dupe, just so I could clear out my MTX stash.
Last edited by nil4t on Mar 20, 2017, 5:25:02 AM
in regards to

Do you guys intend to improve mystery boxes in a way that we don't end up having multiple copies of the same item? Multiple portal effects of the sae portal for example is pretty obsolete.

If we made this change, they would have to be massively more expensive than they currently are. Is this a tradeoff you would prefer?

we should at least be able to DO something with these items.. like trade the excess ones in for a certain amount of points back.. that or knock the fuck off with the "exclusives"..

not doing so just makes you come across as gigantic fucking assholes who behave like Pizzard.. doing everything to screw over players at every chance!
generally dangerous
Nice post!

I do remember a bug post about being able to lose microtransactions though.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/84781
There it is.

It wasn't 'sell' exactly as the question stated, but there was a chance to lose the items, waaay back when.
Last edited by Wuffell on Mar 20, 2017, 6:52:45 AM
Wil we ever ne able to choose different gender?
If you abandon charge reward for bandits quest, there will be another quest for gain it??
Last edited by Kirala on Mar 20, 2017, 7:15:49 AM
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
While it would indeed 'save' some mtx space, it would in no way 'solve' the problem with multiple MTX that only can used once.

Yeah, really not seeing how that's an issue tbh. Are you complaining about the fact that you got something in a mystery box that you already had and that you can only use it once? GGG aren't going to change the way their mystery boxes work, because as they said they would have to increase the price.

If the stack size of something you're already using and can't use again, in a scenario of infinite stack size, increases by 1 because you get another copy of that MTX, it doesn't do you any harm. You're not entitled to get good stuff that you actually want from every mystery box. That's why it's a mystery box. It's at least a little bit of a gamble, and that's part of the fun.

Even if that's not what you mean, I'm still not sure how I could possibly interpret what you're saying in such a way that you'd actually be pointing to a genuine problem. Take a chill pill.
I was hoping to get answers about trading system what i asked but maybe on part 2 hope so
Love these Q&A posts, but could we please get over the "How did you come up with the skill tree?"- kinda questions!? They've been answered a bunch of times since the game have been out for years (forum messiness issue ofc) and it would be nice to get indepth answers to more of the non-generic questions.
But never the less keep these kind of post coming ;)
"
Will there ever be an auto-sort button for inventory and/or stash similar to Titan Quest mechanics?

Unlikely. I had a good conversation recently with David Brevik about how large items that require manipulation in the inventory help simulate the "weight" that items have in other RPG systems. It may be inconvenient to have to organise items, but it makes them feel real. Simplifying this down to auto-sorting or single-slot-items is a road we don't want to take our game down.

wow, now that is a stretch! just a terrible excuse for a terrible outlook: that pointless tedium should exist in the game.

plus, in the absence of any actual good reason for this design I am not impressed or swayed by the "appeal to authority" to "almighty" brevik. (to be clear: by any recent standard, the QoL in the game he is so lauded for designing is unplayably weak. it's repulsive. as such, his opinion is highly suspect in these matters. (edit: speaking as someone who's played D2LoD in the last few months))

I am not advocating for one-slot-per-item - (in fact I am opposed) - but I believe the item size (in squares) already represents the weight. it doesn't need to be represented in this other bullshit abstract way.

BTW, auto-compact > auto-sort...

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1844406

---------

oh well the whole argument and evolution of "instanced loot" still gives me hope. GGG stubbornly stuck to a terrible design due to their not-quite-comprehensive personal vision for the game but eventually caved after persuasion and eventually reaching a common-sense outlook, and look at the good that came of it!
Last edited by xSTGx on Mar 20, 2017, 8:10:07 AM
"
Atlantae wrote:
damn i gotta read this huh? Ty for all the info tho.

Edit: On the topic of Mystery Boxes and duplicate items, I'd like to really suggest that getting duplicates of any and all portals be absolutely impossible. Getting 2 of the same armour means I can have 2 characters wearing the same body armour at the same time. Getting 2 hideout crystals mean I can have more crystals to use in my hideout. Getting 2 sets of fireworks means I have twice as many fireworks to use in Highgate in between Dried Lake runs late on Day 1 of a league. Getting 2 Portals means nothing because having 2 copies of a portal is absolutely useless. A 2nd copy of a portal MTX can't be used for anything and getting one feels God damn terrible.

Just my thoughts though.

Totally agree.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info