[2.6] Blast Rain Slayer Build Guide. Xoph's Nurture + The Taming + Emberwake

This is a guide for my Blast Rain Slayer which I made in 2.5, I have since updated it for 2.6 and created this guide. The only notable changes between the two patches are the AoE changes, which have slightly reduced area of effect for almost all builds. Blast rain however received a base radius buff from 20 to 24 units, so the nerf is very minimal, at least for this build. This build is HC Viable.

Videos
Spoiler

Sorry about not having harder content, I don't have a lot of hard maps remaining in standard due to me not playing there. If there is request in the future i'll try to get some more maps there.

Excavation Map
Notable Mods were:
Players are cursed with temporal chains
Monsters deal 99% extra damage as lightning
+40% Monster elemental resistance
Players have 60% less recovery rate of life and energy shield

Gorge Map
Notable Mods were:
Monsters have 100% increased AoE
Monsters deal 91% extra damage as fire
40% monster elemental resistance
Monsters have a 20% chance to cause status ailments

Crematorium Map Boss (no leech)
Notable Mods were:
Cannot leech life from monsters
Cannot leech mana from monsters
Monsters deal 97% extra damage as lightning

If there is a request for more videos of content, i'll try to add some. The Crematorium map displays a hard map mod which is no leech, due to the life recovery from the bow when we ignite however we are able to survive, due to lack of mana leech though our kill time is heavily impacted. Another hard mod that I didn't have a map to show is elemental reflect. This mod is doable but it heavily depends on monster life in the zone and how much damage you take from said enemies. Generally as long as you don't 1 hit yourself to reflect you'll leech back to full life very quickly. I would not recommend running this mod in hardcore however.

Notable Uniques
Spoiler

Xoph's Nurture is a core part of this build due to the '50% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage' mod which along with Blast Rain's own 50% physical to fire conversion, means we do not need to take the Avatar of fire notable, saving us several skill points. The 'Ignites your Skills cause spread to other Enemies within a Radius of 12' mod also means we do not have to use the Elemental Proliferation gem or the Elementalists 'Beacon of Ruin' ascendancy point, meaning we are free to play Slayer or any other ascendancy of our choosing. Besides the large amount of physical damage this bow provides it also has the 'Recover (40-60) Life when you Ignite an Enemy' mod which gives us a ridiculous amount of life sustain with the amount of ignites which we produce.

Kaom's Heart is BiS for most fire based life builds which are able to get links elsewhere, like we are with a bow. If you cannot attain one of these straight away its fine, they're not required, just a very strong luxury. You could alternatively use a 5/6 link as your body armour until you are able to link your bow and get a Kaom's.

The Signal Fire is a very strong unique for this build, providing the 'Gain (25-35)% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage' mod which gives a large boost to our damage due to the conversion being 'Extra' instead of just mere conversion such as with some other uniques. Whilst this item is very strong, it is not very defensive. As such if you wish to be tankier a Rearguard unique may better suit you.

Xoph's Blood is a very strong unique for this build, providing the 'Damage Penetrates 10% Fire Resistance' mod which along with the fire penetration gem and nodes from the skill tree allow for a large amount of fire penetration which is great for mapping. It also gives the 'Cover Enemies in Ash when they Hit you' mod which makes enemies who hit you take more fire damage and have less movement speed. Defensively this item also provides a large amount of life through the '10% increased maximum Life' and '10% increased Strength' mods giving you more EHP. Another possible amulet you could try if you cannot afford this item is a Ngamahu Tiki which provides up to 70% increased fire damage. A well rolled Eyes of the greatwolf would also be very strong, albeit expensive.

Emberwake is one of the two rings which underpin this build. It provides the 'You can inflict up to 300 Ignites on an Enemy' whilst giving 80% less burning damage. Whilst this may seem like a fairly large issue we also use The Taming, which turns this item into a massive damage buff.

The Taming is by far the most important item for this build, providing the '10% increased Damage per Freeze, Shock and Ignite on Enemy' mod, which alongside the emberwake ring can allow for up to 3000% increased damage on an enemy due to enemies being able to have up to 300 ignites on them, instead of the typical 1.

The Green Dream is a jewel which provides the 'Passives granting Cold Resistance or all Elemental Resistances in Radius also grant an equal chance to gain a Frenzy Charge on Kill' mod. This should be socketed in the jewel node next to the templar area above the devotion node. This will mean, once you have the points allocated you will have 20% chance to gain a frenzy charge on kill with this jewel. The green nightmare is the upgrade of this gem and can also be used, to greater effect. Due to it providing chance to dodge from cold/elemental resistances at 35% of their values.

Dying Sun is a BiS flask for this build, the increased area of effect and extra 2 projectiles which it adds are ridiculous and massively help when clearing maps. It is however by no means required and I would suggest on focusing on other items before getting one of these.

My Gear
Spoiler

Skill Trees

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Slayer (I'll list notable effects from each tier):
- Normal Lab: 'Bane of legends' Gain onslaught when you kill a rare or unique enemy. Culling strike enemies at 20% life or lower.
- Cruel Lab: 'Headsman' 20% more damage and 15% increased AoE if you've killed recently.
- Merciless Lab: 'Endless Hunger' 20% of overkill damage leeched as life, life leech effects are not removed at full life.
- Endgame Lab: 'Impact' 20% increased AoE. 'Brutal Fervour' 100% increased life leeched a second, 10% of max life added to max life leech rate. Cannot be stunned and are immune to bleeding whilst leeching.

I chose Slayer due to the vast amounts of AoE which you can pick up from the available nodes. With Impact which I picked up I have an extra 45% increased aoe, coupled with the other nodes from the tree gives me a large amount of area of effect. I am also given notable life leech as well as decent damage increasing travel nodes, such as 14% increased damage with two handed weapons and 5% increased attack speed. You are free to take other ascendancies however, if you are to pick another one I would probably suggest Ranger's Deadeye, which would likely provide more damage in the long run. However you'd lose out on life leech. I have also seen similar builds running elementalist and pathfinder. For my build though I would suggest either Slayer or Deadeye.

Skills
Spoiler

Blast rain - Chance to ignite - Fire penetration - Faster attacks - Weapon Elemental Damage - Increased Area of effect/Concentrated effect
- These are the best links I have found for this build, They are in order of importance so you can take them as you see fit whilst levelling.

Anger - Herald of ash - Summon Flame Golem

Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks - Vaal Haste - Vaal Breach
- Vaal Breach is a massive quality of life buff for boss killing with this build due to the way that the taming works providing more damage for each ignite on an enemy. Popping vaal breach when in a boss room will spawn dozens of enemies which you can quickly ignite along with the boss, massively multiplying damage done.

Cast When Damage Taken - Firestorm - Ball Lightning - Chance to ignite
- This provides a silly amount of ignites on enemies, which along with Xoph's Nurture gives a bunch of life for each enemy ignited.

Bandits
- Normal: Help Oak (+40 Maximum Life)
- Cruel: Kill All (Skill Point)
- Merciless: Help Kraityn (+1 Maximum Frenzy Charge)

Character Page
Spoiler

Offence Tab in Hideout
Defence Tab in Hideout

Thank-you for reading, if you have any questions about this build feel free to ask them below and I will try to answer them for you. If there is interest in seeing this build in action I will try to provide somewhere for you to watch gameplay for it, be it on youtube or twitch.
Last edited by RegallyBlue on Apr 3, 2017, 8:40:50 AM
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2017, 5:16:51 AM
- Reserved -
Hi there, I am keen to do this build somewhat soon, but I'm thinking to do pathfinder/deadeye version of this. Can I get a tree for that? I've been trying but just don't seem to get anywhere good to your slayer tree. Thank you
"
fishooi wrote:
Hi there, I am keen to do this build somewhat soon, but I'm thinking to do pathfinder/deadeye version of this. Can I get a tree for that? I've been trying but just don't seem to get anywhere good to your slayer tree. Thank you

Deadeye was something I looked into when first making this build, AoE wise deadeye is slightly stronger, however you lose many of the benefits which Slayer gives, such as Onslaught, culling strike on 20% life and some life leech. The final ascendancy point for deadeye is also very weak as none of the remaining points give you any real benefit. If I had to pick one though I would likely take rupture just to avoid taking extra damage whilst bleeding. If you still wish to play Deadeye I have an old tree which is almost identical to the Slayer one, besides having one less jewel point and starting at the ranger instead of the duelist. I'll link it below as well as adding it to the main post, i'll probably end up posting some videos later on too.

Deadeye Final Tree
Several videos have been added to the main post.
Why not speccing into Primeval Force instead of Celestial Punishment/Judgement? Both are 6 points, but PF will give you more penetration, ele damage and more chance to ignite
"
Sollkomol wrote:
Why not speccing into Primeval Force instead of Celestial Punishment/Judgement? Both are 6 points, but PF will give you more penetration, ele damage and more chance to ignite

You're right, when I originally made the tree back in 2.5 those nodes didn't exist, didn't realise those were as good as they were for the point investment. I've updated the main post swapping in those nodes. Thanks -
Hi any chance to incorporate a Raider skill tree for this build? Ty
Also a question..why go resolute technique? Why not leave some crits in there?
"
Son_Of_Sam wrote:
Also a question..why go resolute technique? Why not leave some crits in there?

For a raider i'd follow the same tree as deadeye picking the corresponding ascendancy points, i'd suggest Avatar of the veil and then either Avatar of the slaughter/chase. Whilst your damage would likely be higher however, you'd lose a lot of AoE so your clear speed would greatly suffer.

As for why I picked resolute technique, its due to the severe lack of accuracy which we have on the tree, as well as meaning we don't have to get it on gear either. Which makes gearing much easier. Also even if you did manage to get to 90% chance to hit, you would still severely lack crit meaning the tree would have to fundamentally be changed. Whilst its definitely possible, I can't see it clearing maps faster due to the huge loss of AoE which you'd suffer having to pick up both accuracy and crit from the tree. If you do try it however i'd be interested in what you manage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info