Los geht's - Let's get that German translation rolling

i wouldn't translate unique keywords like "orb" or "league stone" as well as npc names or locations.

there are many german players who prefer to play he game in english and want to help other non-english speakers into the game. sometimes they will even play togehter in parties using the respective clients.

they need to know what they are talking about.
"
cronus wrote:
i wouldn't translate unique keywords like "orb" or "league stone" as well as npc names or locations.

there are many german players who prefer to play he game in english and want to help other non-english speakers into the game. sometimes they will even play togehter in parties using the respective clients.

they need to know what they are talking about.

True but if you want to translate an ARPG you have to worry about consistency.

"Stein" i think ist the best there is sadly....
"
Im2sl0w wrote:
"Stein" i think ist the best there is sadly....

there are already "league stones".
let's call them "eumel" :-)

edit: ok, "whetstones" from the next post are a good point...
Last edited by cronus on Mar 20, 2017, 8:28:56 AM
Pls dont try to get a consistence that even the origin naming has not.
Long before there were any league stones, we had whetstone - they have no conection either.

For the translation problem, if several players with different clients want to play togehter: Postet Items should be shown in the language of the own client so that they are "translatet" if u hover them. E.g.: If I post a (for example) "Chaotischer Stein" a player with english client reads it in the chat like I postet it, but gets a translation if he hoovers it with the mouse (like we know it from other games)

Just from the mix of sound, sense of translation Id say "Stein" and "Kristall" are the best suggestions so far for the translation of "orb".

Scherbe ist nett, würde ich aber auch für die kleinen Orb-Bruchteile lassen
What i dont understand is the need for germans and french to translate everything. Coming from the netherlands everything but the kiddy stuff is left as is and subtitled. Maybe one of u guys can explain this to me. Not meant as offensive just a serious question.

PoE is meant to be played by adults am i right? I have big enough faith i german and french educational system to believe the level of english comprehension is adequate. Am i wrong or missing something?
"
RotjongNL wrote:
What i dont understand is the need for germans and french to translate everything. Coming from the netherlands everything but the kiddy stuff is left as is and subtitled. Maybe one of u guys can explain this to me. Not meant as offensive just a serious question.

PoE is meant to be played by adults am i right? I have big enough faith i german and french educational system to believe the level of english comprehension is adequate. Am i wrong or missing something?

It's about comfort. Most people understand English, but they don't want to bother with it in their free time.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
As far as I know, everyone who went to school in Germany after ~1990 had English lessons for several years. Before that English was not mandatory in all parts (East Germany) and for all school types (West Germany, although this was changed even earlier).

Also, the level of education varies a lot based on school types and individual schools.

If you now consider that there isn't so much need to actually learn and practice English, because you won't miss out on toomuch when you don't, you get the idea why a translation may be something useful.

If I would have to guess, I'd say that maybe half to two thirds of people below ~45 years are able to read and understand English well enough for a game like POE - maybe with a little effort in using a dictionary every now and then, which might be considered too much effort for a game.
"
carnivore2k4 wrote:
maybe half to two thirds of people below ~45 years are able to read and understand English well enough for a game like POE

"wb saved my ass at hydra, have es/ci which is op with vinctars and vp compared to life and bf totems usually kill it in seconds, but ..."

gt pls (german translation, please) :-)
To be honest most of what I know about the english language came through the internet,books and videogames. English in school was dogshit and didnt prepare anyone for anything.
I do prefer to play PoE in english, but I dont expect everyone to put in the effort. Making a translation opens the game up for many other people. Its questionable whether you want to have people with no interest in additional education but who am I to judge? Maybe they simply dont have the time.
"
RotjongNL wrote:
What i dont understand is the need for germans and french to translate everything. Coming from the netherlands...

You guys watch english movies and such and you are educated differently. In Germany TV Movies or even Movies in Theaters are dubbed in german.

I mean its a community project so why the hell not?

@Topic: "Scherbe" doesnt sound good at all imo. The Texture of a Blessed Orb for example doesnt really fit at all the picture of a flat fragment. "Kristall" suggests that there is a certain Degree of transparency. That maybe true for Transmutation Orbs or Augmentation Orbs but then again Blessed Orbs? This looks quite metallic. The more i think about it "Sphäre" seems quite appropriate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info